Page 1 of 2

I'm going to a bullfight next week!

Posted: May 3 07, 9:28 am
by heyzeus
This might be the first "other sports" post ever about bullfighting. Anyway, in about a week I'll be at the Plaza de Toros in Madrid for my first bullfight. I'll be sure to post about how it compares to, say, baseball. Probably more killing, is my first guess. I will also find out how much a beer costs there.

Posted: May 3 07, 9:38 am
by Dillagii
What the hell you are doing in Spain?!?

Posted: May 3 07, 10:14 am
by heyzeus
DiLLaGii wrote:What the hell you are doing in Spain?!?
I'll be there in about a week on vacation :)

Posted: May 3 07, 10:16 am
by StL Dan
Cool.

Don't forget to take pix of the gruesome event and post them here.

If you are going to a "typical" bullfight, you'll get to see anywhere from 6-10 or more bulls mamed and killed.

Enjoy.

Posted: May 3 07, 10:17 am
by Dillagii
heyzeus wrote:
DiLLaGii wrote:What the hell you are doing in Spain?!?
I'll be there in about a week on vacation :)
Cool!! Enjoy the vacation and have fun!

You will be missing the resurgence of Cardinal Baseball!

Posted: May 3 07, 10:19 am
by heyzeus
StL Dan wrote:Cool.

Don't forget to take pix of the gruesome event and post them here.

If you are going to a "typical" bullfight, you'll get to see anywhere from 6-10 or more bulls mamed and killed.

Enjoy.

Yes, it's a strange and barbaric tradition. If I were a vegetarian, I'd have a major problem with it. But since I'm not, I don't think I have the moral high ground to cast judgment. I want to observe from a cultural standpoint, and maybe try to have a bit of a Hemingway-ian experience.

My girlfriend might not like it when I get drunk and bed a Spanish nurse, though.

Posted: May 3 07, 11:57 am
by StL Dan
heyzeus wrote:
StL Dan wrote:Cool.

Don't forget to take pix of the gruesome event and post them here.

If you are going to a "typical" bullfight, you'll get to see anywhere from 6-10 or more bulls mamed and killed.

Enjoy.

Yes, it's a strange and barbaric tradition. If I were a vegetarian, I'd have a major problem with it. But since I'm not, I don't think I have the moral high ground to cast judgment. I want to observe from a cultural standpoint, and maybe try to have a bit of a Hemingway-ian experience.

My girlfriend might not like it when I get drunk and bed a Spanish nurse, though.
I wasn't being sarcastic.

It is what it is....cultural tradition.

Get a lot of pix and be prepared for the carnage.

Posted: May 3 07, 1:04 pm
by heyzeus
StL Dan wrote:
heyzeus wrote:
StL Dan wrote:Cool.

Don't forget to take pix of the gruesome event and post them here.

If you are going to a "typical" bullfight, you'll get to see anywhere from 6-10 or more bulls mamed and killed.

Enjoy.

Yes, it's a strange and barbaric tradition. If I were a vegetarian, I'd have a major problem with it. But since I'm not, I don't think I have the moral high ground to cast judgment. I want to observe from a cultural standpoint, and maybe try to have a bit of a Hemingway-ian experience.

My girlfriend might not like it when I get drunk and bed a Spanish nurse, though.
I wasn't being sarcastic.

It is what it is....cultural tradition.

Get a lot of pix and be prepared for the carnage.
Don't worry, I didn't assume any sarcasm. You're right, from what I can tell bullfighting is both gruesome and artful. As many of our cultural traditions probably appear to foreigners (football, certain Hollywood genres, "grand theft auto," etc). So I'll be looking at it from an outsider's perspective but I'm interested in the levels that the locals appreciate it as sport.

Posted: May 3 07, 4:09 pm
by robbotis
Where your Cardinals BP jersey for good luck and some extra attention.

Posted: May 8 07, 11:41 am
by Brodie
StL Dan wrote:Cool.

Don't forget to take pix of the gruesome event and post them here.

If you are going to a "typical" bullfight, you'll get to see anywhere from 6-10 or more bulls mamed and killed.

Enjoy.
Peta objects to this inhumane treatment of animals....But I love it

-Brodie