Page 1 of 3
What's Gonna Happen Next?
Posted: April 20 07, 12:39 am
by GatewaySnayke
For the readers of my very short-lived blog BSH, I made an entry where I concluded that the Cardinals would be stuck in a holding pattern this year. They have the elusive 10th World Series, which is going to have a carry-over effect for at least the next two seasons, they have Carpenter, Rolen, Pujols and Edmonds locked in, then they have guys like Reyes, Duncan and Wainwright under control for a few more years.
They made it clear during the winter that they would not be chasing after any marquee free agents, and that their days of selling the farm is over.
So I think what we see is basically what we get. We brace ourselves through 2007, look at our 2006 memoribilia, watch our DVD's and just pray that Rasmus, Jay, Anderson and someone like Greene can make themselves future superstars. This is going to be the Cardinals for the next few seasons.
Some people are going to deny that Jocketty will idly sit by and not try to improve the team, but I just don't see it. Unless the Orioles are willing to let Tejada go for Chris Lambert and Rick Ankiel, and Adam Kennedy turns back the clock a few years, Vlad Guerrero demands a trade to St. Louis and Brian McCann sneaks into Molina's uniform, this team will remain maddeningly frustrating and not even worth discussing after they lose.
Posted: April 20 07, 12:41 am
by Bo Hart
Regardless, they still have a ton of potential and will probably compete for a playoff spot (albeit due to a crappy division).
I think your topic comes off as too pessimistic and too gloomy. Maybe I'm reading it wrong.
Posted: April 20 07, 12:53 am
by GatewaySnayke
Kyle wrote:Regardless, they still have a ton of potential and will probably compete for a playoff spot (albeit due to a crappy division).
I think your topic comes off as too pessimistic and too gloomy. Maybe I'm reading it wrong.
It is pessimistic though. I'm not saying they won't compete, but in their current form, they are nothing more than a .500 team, and as Steve has pointed out, if Pujols, Rolen or Edmonds gets hurt, this team is kaput.
I just don't think the near future is looking bright for the Cardinals unless the owners start feeling nutty and handing out big money to any player who has a pulse.
Posted: April 20 07, 1:26 am
by Maclowery
Last year, we were enormously lucky to win the Series. Don't get me wrong, like any big fan, I freakin' loved every minute of it. But, I still understand that we were heavy underdogs, at least against the Mets and Tigers.
What worries me about this season is that I don't see a single position player on the team improving. Everyone, just as I am, is excited about Wainwright becoming a staple in our lineup, and hopefully Reyes as well. Maybe even Kip.
On our offense, though, I can't see a single player and think "Hey I'll bet he really shines this year more than 2006!" - - That's what really worries me about this year. Even if Duncan goes crazy and hits 35 homers and a decent on-base percentage, I just see anyone else 'coming into their prime' or anything like that.
I love my Cards, and will watch almost every game this season, but I don't think we're a playoff team this year.
Posted: April 20 07, 1:33 am
by thrill
Maclowery wrote:Last year, we were enormously lucky to win the Series. Don't get me wrong, like any big fan, I freakin' loved every minute of it. But, I still understand that we were heavy underdogs, at least against the Mets and Tigers.
What worries me about this season is that I don't see a single position player on the team improving. Everyone, just as I am, is excited about Wainwright becoming a staple in our lineup, and hopefully Reyes as well. Maybe even Kip.
On our offense, though, I can't see a single player and think "Hey I'll bet he really shines this year more than 2006!" - - That's what really worries me about this year. Even if Duncan goes crazy and hits 35 homers and a decent on-base percentage, I just see anyone else 'coming into their prime' or anything like that.
I love my Cards, and will watch almost every game this season, but I don't think we're a playoff team this year.
This pretty much sums up exactly how I feel.
Posted: April 20 07, 3:28 am
by DynamicDynamite
if we make the playoffs this year then its great, but if not Im not going to cry either..
I want to see a full year of Wainwright, Reyes, Duncan, and even Looper and Wells in their roles.. A full season of starting for these guys is what im excited about...
now at the same time I dont want to see games where we have to shutout the opposition cause our team cant score which is the way things have gone this year..
if they make the playoffs then its good, but if not I will live and be happy(call it knowing that the Rams and Blues are the alternatives and that we know the Cards are always at least competitive)
Posted: April 20 07, 7:03 am
by Secret Weapon
Just imagine how brutal this would be if we had ended up blowing our playoff spot last year.
Posted: April 20 07, 7:05 am
by Cronos
I see positives even in the midst of the swirling maelstrom of ineptitude, as well as just some comsmically strange things holding this team down right now(perhaps karma's getting back at the team now for October), including the dead offense.
Speaking of which, we all knew it wasn't going to be a powerhouse offense. Guys like Wilson, Taguchi, Miles, Spiezio etc. aren't going to have career years. And cornerstones like Rolen and Pujols are struggling right now. But given all that, I don't think any pre-season projection out there had them all hitting around .200 or lower like they virtually all are hitting right now. That's more than likely going to change.
So too will the early success on the pitching probably rebound a little in the other direction(as it started to do so yesterday for Kip); frankly I'm not optimistic for Looper today in Wrigleyville. If he doesn't get destroyed I'll really be surprised.
I imagine they'll still be competitive and be in it to the very end, whether they win the division or not. But I'd never get away with saying this on "the other board", but I don't care nearly as much this year if they make the playoffs or not. They won it all last year; they've achieved what I wanted to see once in my lifetime. I'm good for at least a couple years, and eager to see the kids get time and start playing.
Posted: April 20 07, 7:18 am
by Balltilyafall4
whyhellothere wrote:Just imagine how brutal this would be if we had ended up blowing our playoff spot last year.
I don't think we're having this discussion if that happened..
Posted: April 20 07, 8:42 am
by GatewaySnayke
Balltilyafall4 wrote:whyhellothere wrote:Just imagine how brutal this would be if we had ended up blowing our playoff spot last year.
I don't think we're having this discussion if that happened..
Nope, instead we're thinking that our chances at a World Series are growing even further.