MLB level player development question
Posted: April 18 07, 2:14 pm
Something I've been thinking about for a long time, that I don't really comprehend. Many of you have many more years of active baseball knowledge than I, especially when it comes to development of players between high school and the major leagues.
Basically, why does it take so long for a young man to develop into a major league-calibur player? Obviously, some phenoms rise up exceptionally fast - we see a Fernando Valenzuela or Ken Griffey Jr type here and there. But for the most part, exceptional prospects still spend a lot of time developing before the majors.
Is this development mostly physical? Or simply educating a 20-ish year old 'the game'? It seems like other professional sports - Tennis especially, but also basketball and to a lesser extent, football, see more superb-level players at a young age than baseball. I've no personal knowledge of competitive baseball other than being a big spectator.
I'm thinking specifically of prospects like Colby Rasmus and others in the 19-22 age range. I have no exposure to the minor leagues. What is holding him back from the professional level? Physicality (strength, burst speed, etc)? Skill (hitting a 96mph fastball instead of a 89, movement on a pitch)? Or experience (Pitcher command, intangibles)?
I'm not saying to bring him up now; universal concensus is that he's still not ready.
Hopefully without sounding like a petulant 6 year old, why not? Simply something I've never had explained.
Thanks for bearing with the wordiness.
Basically, why does it take so long for a young man to develop into a major league-calibur player? Obviously, some phenoms rise up exceptionally fast - we see a Fernando Valenzuela or Ken Griffey Jr type here and there. But for the most part, exceptional prospects still spend a lot of time developing before the majors.
Is this development mostly physical? Or simply educating a 20-ish year old 'the game'? It seems like other professional sports - Tennis especially, but also basketball and to a lesser extent, football, see more superb-level players at a young age than baseball. I've no personal knowledge of competitive baseball other than being a big spectator.
I'm thinking specifically of prospects like Colby Rasmus and others in the 19-22 age range. I have no exposure to the minor leagues. What is holding him back from the professional level? Physicality (strength, burst speed, etc)? Skill (hitting a 96mph fastball instead of a 89, movement on a pitch)? Or experience (Pitcher command, intangibles)?
I'm not saying to bring him up now; universal concensus is that he's still not ready.
Hopefully without sounding like a petulant 6 year old, why not? Simply something I've never had explained.
Thanks for bearing with the wordiness.