Page 1 of 12

Cardinals: lack of focus and/or desire?

Posted: April 17 07, 3:14 pm
by StL Dan
Yea, I know these guys are being paid to play to the best of their ability every single time they step onto the field.

However, they are flesh and bone.

I've been wondering if they just aren't where they should be pyscologically across the board...from the starters to the bullpen to the everyday lineup.

I don't think this team has identified or figured out a reason to play to the best of their abilities every single day. They are complacent.

Posted: April 17 07, 3:17 pm
by jim
Completely disagree with your premise.

Posted: April 17 07, 3:26 pm
by Michael
I'm not comfortable projecting pop psychology on to these guy because I don't really know them. I suspect their troubles are due to a lack of skill.

Posted: April 17 07, 3:28 pm
by TabascoElvis
Eh, they're a game under .500 2 weeks into the season. It's too early to say much of anything, imo.

Posted: April 17 07, 3:29 pm
by StL Dan
What is pop psycology?

Anyway, I think they aren't as focused as a unit as they were in seasons past now that they've won the whole enchilada.

I won't discount the notion they may not be as talented overall, either.

Posted: April 17 07, 3:31 pm
by JL21
TabascoElvis wrote:Eh, they're a game under .500 2 weeks into the season. It's too early to say much of anything, imo.
Though really, that's about where I might expect them to be. In that range, anyway- within a game or two, plus or minus, of .500.

Posted: April 17 07, 3:32 pm
by cardinalkarp
I'm kinda thinking that this may be just about a .500 team all year. :?

Posted: April 17 07, 3:33 pm
by Michael
StL Dan wrote:Anyway, I think they aren't as focused as a unit as they were in seasons past now that they've won the whole enchilada.

How could you know this? It seems like they are trying to me. Last year they were an 83 win team and they didn't have a great off-season. Did they lack focus last year? I'm not surprised by their performance thus far.

Posted: April 17 07, 3:33 pm
by Leroy
That thud you heard was the sad realization that they are horrible.

Posted: April 17 07, 3:34 pm
by planet planet
Michael wrote: I'm not surprised by their performance thus far.
This is going a little too far in the other direction. You're not surprised by the collective offensive effort to date?