Big12 Breaking Up?

A forum for non-baseball sports
Post Reply
User avatar
JL21
NPR & THT Contributor
Posts: 36109
Joined: April 18 06, 7:44 am
Location: Chocolate City

Re: Big12 Breaking Up?

Post by JL21 »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
Lesson wrote:aTm was accepted by a 10-2 vote.
Where di you see this?
I saw it on Twitter- Dave Matter and PowerMizzou both re-tweeted it (I think) from Chip Brown. That same tweet went on to say that West Virginia was the SEC's choice for #14.

I'm really dreading the idea of Mizzou in the SEC. I have no clue what the odds of it are, but it is far and away the least desirable option among SEC, Big Ten, and Big East.

User avatar
clevername
Bringer of FRBG
Posts: 10380
Joined: April 16 06, 7:13 pm
Location: Alabama

Re: Big12 Breaking Up?

Post by clevername »

the vote count is also being reported as unanimous, so who knows what it actually was.

now Baylor is threatening to sue, so things are on hold again.

User avatar
TheoSqua
Next Gen Wart
Posts: 8950
Joined: April 22 06, 6:53 pm
Location: St. Louis
Contact:

Re: Big12 Breaking Up?

Post by TheoSqua »

If the Big East is guaranteed a bowl spot, then moving there seems like a no brainer for Mizzou.

Though I wonder if not playing in Texas would hurt their ability to recruit in that state.

User avatar
ThatGuy
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 5114
Joined: October 15 06, 4:40 pm
Location: Knoxville, TN

Re: Big12 Breaking Up?

Post by ThatGuy »

Missouri does seem to fit the profile of a Big Ten school the most, so I was really surprised when all of this "Mizzou to the SEC" stuff started up a few weeks ago. However, being that I'm already a fan of an SEC university, I wouldn't mind if Missouri got invited to the conference.

What makes you guys think it would be a bad move?

User avatar
TheoSqua
Next Gen Wart
Posts: 8950
Joined: April 22 06, 6:53 pm
Location: St. Louis
Contact:

Re: Big12 Breaking Up?

Post by TheoSqua »

ThatGuy wrote:Missouri does seem to fit the profile of a Big Ten school the most, so I was really surprised when all of this "Mizzou to the SEC" stuff started up a few weeks ago. However, being that I'm already a fan of an SEC university, I wouldn't mind if Missouri got invited to the conference.

What makes you guys think it would be a bad move?
In the Big 12 there's really only two "powerhouse" football teams, Oklahoma and Texas. Before this year Missouri just had to squeak past one of them a year to have a chance at a higher end BCS bowl.

In the SEC you have Florida, Alabama, Auburn, and LSU, the odds of all 4 of them having down years at the same time as Missouri having a peak year is very slim. Plus it seems like more secondary teams in the SEC have really good peak seasons than in the Big 12 (though this year isn't a good example, considering Oklahoma State, Baylor, Texas A&M, and Missouri are all currently ranked).

You'd have the same problem in the Big 10, but it just seems like Missouri fits better in that conference. And in the Big East there isn't really any intimidating football presence.

User avatar
ThatGuy
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 5114
Joined: October 15 06, 4:40 pm
Location: Knoxville, TN

Re: Big12 Breaking Up?

Post by ThatGuy »

I can see how it would be intimidating. I'd actually say there are six or seven "powerhouse" football schools in the SEC: Alabama, Auburn, LSU, Florida, Georgia, Tennessee and (for the most part) Arkansas, so on any given year you can expect to be competing with any number of them for conference supremacy. And, like you said, the "secondary" schools pretty frequently make some noise - Mississippi State is good this year, South Carolina could win the East, and even a team like Kentucky can pull off a few big games every now and then.

I wouldn't be so quick to write Missouri off, though. I think being in the SEC could give them a lot more football credibility with recruits.

User avatar
Transmogrified Tiger
Puppy Murderer
Posts: 9323
Joined: April 25 06, 6:07 pm
Location: Across the River

Re: Big12 Breaking Up?

Post by Transmogrified Tiger »

TheoSqua wrote:
ThatGuy wrote:Missouri does seem to fit the profile of a Big Ten school the most, so I was really surprised when all of this "Mizzou to the SEC" stuff started up a few weeks ago. However, being that I'm already a fan of an SEC university, I wouldn't mind if Missouri got invited to the conference.

What makes you guys think it would be a bad move?
In the Big 12 there's really only two "powerhouse" football teams, Oklahoma and Texas. Before this year Missouri just had to squeak past one of them a year to have a chance at a higher end BCS bowl.

In the SEC you have Florida, Alabama, Auburn, and LSU, the odds of all 4 of them having down years at the same time as Missouri having a peak year is very slim. Plus it seems like more secondary teams in the SEC have really good peak seasons than in the Big 12 (though this year isn't a good example, considering Oklahoma State, Baylor, Texas A&M, and Missouri are all currently ranked).

You'd have the same problem in the Big 10, but it just seems like Missouri fits better in that conference. And in the Big East there isn't really any intimidating football presence.
Also, the SEC as a group is bat-guano crazy, they lower the academic bar, and the basketball is uninspiring as well. I'd rather go to Conference USA.

EDIT: As JL points out, I forgot to mention corrupt.
Last edited by Transmogrified Tiger on September 7 11, 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
JL21
NPR & THT Contributor
Posts: 36109
Joined: April 18 06, 7:44 am
Location: Chocolate City

Re: Big12 Breaking Up?

Post by JL21 »

Mizzou would basically be Vanderbilt in the SEC unless the football program is willing to start doing a bunch of unethical stuff they've been unwilling to do under Pinkel.

User avatar
ThatGuy
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 5114
Joined: October 15 06, 4:40 pm
Location: Knoxville, TN

Re: Big12 Breaking Up?

Post by ThatGuy »

I think there are a lot of comparable schools, academically speaking, when looking at the Big 12 and SEC.

User avatar
slide_into_first
is unaware that dangerous is the real Tyler Durden
Posts: 14433
Joined: June 10 09, 11:31 pm
Location: In Chula Vista hanging with the Surenos

Re: Big12 Breaking Up?

Post by slide_into_first »

If you go by the US News and World Report rankings,which are flawed but a basis to compare, in the top 50 universities, the Big10 has Michigan, Northwestern, Wisconsin, Illinois, Penn State, the SEC has Vanderbilt and Florida, ACC has North Carolina, Virginia and Georgia Tech, Pac12 has UCLA, Cal, Stanford, USC and Washington, the late Big12 has Texas. Most BCS type schools are in the top 150. I could be wrong I didn't look it up.
Last edited by slide_into_first on September 7 11, 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply