Pujols Signs With Angels

Classic threads for your viewing pleasure.
Locked
TimeForGuinness
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 20007
Joined: April 18 06, 7:38 pm

Re: Pujols Signs With Angels

Post by TimeForGuinness »

Hungary Jack wrote:The irony is all of this is that in St. Louis dollars, the Angel deal is only worth about $127M. Albert left about $93M in COLA and tax-adjusted money on the table. He is no economist.
This is what I don't get...I guess he gets to say he has one the highest paying contracts, but he won't make as much (if you look at the big picture).

I blame Leroy.

User avatar
TheoSqua
Next Gen Wart
Posts: 8950
Joined: April 22 06, 6:53 pm
Location: St. Louis
Contact:

Re: Pujols Signs With Angels

Post by TheoSqua »

TimeForGuinness wrote:
Hungary Jack wrote:The irony is all of this is that in St. Louis dollars, the Angel deal is only worth about $127M. Albert left about $93M in COLA and tax-adjusted money on the table. He is no economist.
This is what I don't get...I guess he gets to say he has one the highest paying contracts, but he won't make as much (if you look at the big picture).

I blame Leroy.
I don't think those calculators are entirely accurate.

Cost of living only goes so far. Houses are 300% higher than here. But even the biggest houses have an upper limit to their cost. Food/etc has a ceiling for cost regardless of the disproportion in cost.

Basically if you made 150k vs 120k in California the cost of living difference is huge, but since the ceilings for living expenses are considerably lower than hundreds of millions of dollars I don't see a calculator like that being as accurate for Pujols as it would for someone in the middle class.

User avatar
OmahaCard79
Veteran Player
Posts: 1100
Joined: May 23 06, 1:02 pm

Re: Pujols Signs With Angels

Post by OmahaCard79 »

I can't wait to see in about 5-6 years how loved and respected Jose feels out in La-La land when he's hitting .270 with 20 homers and raking $25 million especially if they've won 1 or fewer titles.

Can't wait to get the popcorn ready for that one.

greenback44
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 11664
Joined: June 26 06, 8:54 pm
Location: In a Small Town with Jack and Diane

Re: Pujols Signs With Angels

Post by greenback44 »

Again, the big factor in COL is housing, and he gets to sell the house in 2022.

The behavioral economicist types have explained the thoughts flowing around Pujols's brain to my satisfaction.

User avatar
wart57
just can't quit you.
Posts: 25075
Joined: April 18 06, 4:33 pm
Location: Lost

Re: Pujols Signs With Angels

Post by wart57 »

Albert who?

Arthur Dent
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 12536
Joined: April 25 06, 6:43 pm
Location: Austin

Re: Pujols Signs With Angels

Post by Arthur Dent »

greenback44 wrote:Again, the big factor in COL is housing, and he gets to sell the house in 2022.
More expensive houses cost you more whether you buy or rent. Surely, you would not argue otherwise. I dunno whether those cost of living calculators apply well to super rich guys like Pujols, but LA's expensive housing will certainly cost him a lot.

User avatar
Transmogrified Tiger
Puppy Murderer
Posts: 9323
Joined: April 25 06, 6:07 pm
Location: Across the River

Re: Pujols Signs With Angels

Post by Transmogrified Tiger »

Hungary Jack wrote:Wow. Bernie actually wrote a really good column in today's PD. He points out the hypocrisy of Albert's words and actions. Oh well, he's not the first, and won't be the last.

The irony is all of this is that in St. Louis dollars, the Angel deal is only worth about $127M. Albert left about $93M in COLA and tax-adjusted money on the table. He is no economist.
I'm pretty sure that it's not that simple.

User avatar
robbotis
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 4791
Joined: April 18 06, 7:05 am
Location: Minneapolis

Re: Pujols Signs With Angels

Post by robbotis »

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
Hungary Jack wrote:Wow. Bernie actually wrote a really good column in today's PD. He points out the hypocrisy of Albert's words and actions. Oh well, he's not the first, and won't be the last.

The irony is all of this is that in St. Louis dollars, the Angel deal is only worth about $127M. Albert left about $93M in COLA and tax-adjusted money on the table. He is no economist.
I'm pretty sure that it's not that simple.

It's not, it's roughly 3%, all things considered. Fangraphs detailed today.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.ph ... lications/

It's the money and being a baby. That's it.

User avatar
Hungary Jack
Mother Earth
Posts: 19536
Joined: July 24 06, 6:03 am
Location: In Cognito

Re: Pujols Signs With Angels

Post by Hungary Jack »

Yeah, the COL argument is a bit specious. When you make that much, you probably will not notice the higher cost of food, fuel, etc.

However, CA imposes a 10.3% state income tax. MO's is 6%. This eats up $10M of the $34M difference between the two deals.

I am not sure if the COLA figures include sales taxes, but sales taxes in Orange County are 16% (8.25% state, 7.75% county) if my understanding is correct. St. Louis taxes are 8.5%. Albert obviously won't spend $254M over the rest of his life (I hope not), but there is little doubt that Albert will be paying more to play in Anaheim.

EDIT: Just read Fangraph article--he loses about $5M to additional state taxes.
Last edited by Hungary Jack on December 12 11, 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
heyzeus
Everday Unicorn
Posts: 43280
Joined: April 21 06, 10:14 am
Location: Austin, TX

Re: Pujols Signs With Angels

Post by heyzeus »

Taxes are for the poor and working stiffs. I'm sure Albert's accounting team will figure out a way to minimize that exposure.

Locked