Page 77 of 211

Re: General Soccer Thread

Posted: August 16 12, 11:06 am
by TimeForGuinness
I guess the fans thought their team needed help
[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HhA2OQa ... r_embedded][/youtube]

Re: General Soccer Thread

Posted: August 16 12, 11:52 pm
by MrSaigon
Reading or Southampton? This year I've decided to root for a promoted team to not be rerelegated. West Ham is out because I remember they had a white guy with dreadlocks last time they were in the topflight and that disqualifies them. Is that racism? Maybe, but this is European soccer, after all.

I think I'm over Liverpool too. Now that Carlsberg isn't on the shirt and LeBron and the Sawx own them, and I'm not in Nam where everyone is a MU fan and my facesake (Crouch, according to my students) doesn't even play for them anymore maybe it's time for a new team. I was never really that into them anyway as I think I've explained here before. But I may have to wait until there good again to give up on them just to maintain some sports fan cred. I watched Villa come and play the Timbers a couple weeks ago. They could be a candidate.

Anyway, maybe this year I'll really pay attention, which isn't something I've followed up on (though have said I would do) here stateside.

Re: General Soccer Thread

Posted: August 17 12, 1:47 pm
by MrSaigon
Is Dempsey being a diva? Why not suit up?

Re: General Soccer Thread

Posted: August 17 12, 2:23 pm
by Richie Allen
Taping Arsenal vs Sunderland tomorrow morning. Toying with the idea of becoming an Arsenal fan.

Re: General Soccer Thread

Posted: August 20 12, 10:30 am
by robbotis
Richie Allen wrote:Taping Arsenal vs Sunderland tomorrow morning. Toying with the idea of becoming an Arsenal fan.
Horrible idea.
CHeering for 1 Stan Kroenke owned team is enough for most humans.
Juventus all the way.

Re: General Soccer Thread

Posted: August 20 12, 11:12 am
by Transmogrified Tiger
Richie Allen wrote:Taping Arsenal vs Sunderland tomorrow morning. Toying with the idea of becoming an Arsenal fan.
Might want to misplace that recording then.

Re: General Soccer Thread

Posted: August 20 12, 12:47 pm
by Transmogrified Tiger
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
Richie Allen wrote:Taping Arsenal vs Sunderland tomorrow morning. Toying with the idea of becoming an Arsenal fan.
Might want to misplace that recording then.
That was probably too snarky. Saturday wasn't exactly Arsenal's one shining moment. More of an exercise in frustration.

Re: General Soccer Thread

Posted: August 20 12, 12:49 pm
by Richie Allen
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
Richie Allen wrote:Taping Arsenal vs Sunderland tomorrow morning. Toying with the idea of becoming an Arsenal fan.
Might want to misplace that recording then.
Watched all (approx) 95 minutes and loved it. My first full professional soccer game and it ended 0-0 yet was exciting throughout. I'm hoping this bodes well for my chances of becoming a fan.

Re: General Soccer Thread

Posted: August 20 12, 12:51 pm
by Transmogrified Tiger
Glad to hear it. It certainly did have some tension with the 2nd half basically being an all out assault on Sunderland's end and the home crowd trying to will a goal out of Arsenal.

Re: General Soccer Thread

Posted: August 20 12, 12:57 pm
by Richie Allen
My completely uneducated take on a few Arsenal players...Cazorla and Gervinho looked impressive. Tough debut for Giroud. Do guys recover from that? Mertesacker? Is 6'6" too tall to look coordinated on a soccer field? He looks like I imagine I would if I ever played soccer, which isn't a good thing.

So what is this transfer period? Teams can still bring in players from other teams around the world? Is Arsenal going to make a move with the RVP/Song money?