Update: HOLLIDAY A CARD 7yr/120 million, p178

Classic threads for your viewing pleasure.
Locked
Swatcat27
All-Star
Posts: 1830
Joined: July 25 06, 12:58 pm
Location: Austin, TX

Re: Update: The Matt Holliday Off-Season Thread

Post by Swatcat27 »

From the Disptach...
Though unwilling to disclose specifics of the bid, a source familiar with the process said it does not offer an average annual value of $18 million. That number is significant because it mirrors the average value Holliday rejected while with the Colorado Rockies in 2008.
They are probably looking for a starting point and hoping him to sign around 18-19 mil. Maybe 6yr-110 ?

Jocephus
99% conan clips
Posts: 64992
Joined: April 18 06, 5:14 pm

Re: Update: The Matt Holliday Off-Season Thread

Post by Jocephus »

he ain't comin' back

User avatar
Eephus Speed
All-Star
Posts: 1642
Joined: August 28 09, 5:33 pm

Re: Update: The Matt Holliday Off-Season Thread

Post by Eephus Speed »

Rieges wrote:
withAloe wrote:If we're talking about Nady as a starter, let's stop talking. 2008 aside, he's not even a 1-win player. If we're talking about having him be the backup corner outfielder and backup first baseman, I'd rather give that job to Craig or someone else from the minors.
Look a little deeper - Nady's WAR looks a lot better if he's a full-time LFer. With that said, I'm not opposed to a Craig/Church platoon over Nady but Church seems to have more value as a RFer.
Nady's career UZR/150 in RF is -2.1 and his career UZR/150 in LF is 1.8. Not a big difference. In 2006, he had 512 PA and was worth .4 WAR. In 2007, he had 470 PA and was worth .8 WAR. Even if he's worth 1-2 WAR as a full-time LF, I don't see the point in signing him when we can get the same or better for the league minimum. And Nady is coming off of his second TJ surgery.

User avatar
Eephus Speed
All-Star
Posts: 1642
Joined: August 28 09, 5:33 pm

Re: Update: The Matt Holliday Off-Season Thread

Post by Eephus Speed »

Not that it really matters, but how many years were the Rockies offering?

User avatar
cards2468
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 14745
Joined: October 28 06, 11:10 pm
Location: LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT

Re: Update: The Matt Holliday Off-Season Thread

Post by cards2468 »

I don't remember the years, but I do seem to remember that the hang up Holliday had with the offer was that the Rockies wouldn't include a no-trade clause. I could be wrong, though.

User avatar
InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster
Posts: 28275
Joined: October 12 07, 12:28 pm
Location: Raptured

Re: Update: The Matt Holliday Off-Season Thread

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

withAloe wrote:Not that it really matters, but how many years were the Rockies offering?
4 years 72 million with a 5th year 12 mil player option, but without a no trade clause

User avatar
Maclowery
Child Pot Activist
Posts: 7742
Joined: June 15 06, 7:27 am
Location: NYC

Re: Update: The Matt Holliday Off-Season Thread

Post by Maclowery »

I would expect our offer trumps that, but it will not be enough. I truly hope that it's 6/105ish, and he considers the awesomeness of hitting after Pujols. Then again, the teams that are likely to outbid us have superb hitters to flank him with, also.

Meh. I don't expect him back. Sigh.

Jocephus
99% conan clips
Posts: 64992
Joined: April 18 06, 5:14 pm

Re: Update: The Matt Holliday Off-Season Thread

Post by Jocephus »

Maclowery wrote:I would expect our offer trumps that, but it will not be enough. I truly hope that it's 6/105ish, and he considers the awesomeness of hitting after Pujols. Then again, the teams that are likely to outbid us have superb hitters to flank him with, also.

Meh. I don't expect him back. Sigh.
not as good as al!

User avatar
Richie Allen
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 7458
Joined: December 22 06, 1:06 am

Re: Update: The Matt Holliday Off-Season Thread

Post by Richie Allen »

Rieges wrote:I have to admit that I'm a little surprised that there's so much support for giving DeRosa what will likely be a 3-yr deal if you believe the reports.
Well, we currently have no left fielder, a minor leaguer at third and a center fielder at second. DeRosa is one of a few players that can handle all three positions and has proven to have 25 HR power. The fact that he can start or fill in at any of those positions (and a couple others) makes him valuable and not easily replaced with a minor leaguer or rule 5 guy, as is the argument against most veterans with his numbers. Since he decided to start hitting, at age 30, he's been an .800 OPS and 106 OPS+. Not great but better than someone like Juan Encarnacion, who we paid similar money to.

User avatar
TGantz
R-E-S-P-E-C-T...What Dr Pepper Means to Me
Posts: 6698
Joined: July 27 06, 11:59 pm
Location: The Lou

Re: Update: The Matt Holliday Off-Season Thread

Post by TGantz »

Richie Allen wrote:Well, we currently have no left fielder, a minor leaguer at third and a center fielder at second. DeRosa is one of a few players that can handle all three positions and has proven to have 25 HR power. The fact that he can start or fill in at any of those positions (and a couple others) makes him valuable and not easily replaced with minor leaguers, as is the argument against most veterans that hit like he does. Since he decided to start hitting, at age 30, he's been an .800 OPS and 106 OPS+. Not great but better than someone like Juan Encarnacion, who we paid similar money to.
I think adding a guy like Felipe Lopez along with DeRosa would give the Cardinals even more options.

Locked