Jeopardy

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Post Reply
User avatar
Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 3958
Joined: November 14 14, 5:23 am
Location: Cherokee

Re: Jeopardy

Post by Famous Mortimer »

thrill wrote: ↑
August 13 21, 6:02 am
Throughout this process of losing Trebek and searching for a new host, I have been surprised at how many people really care about Jeopardy. To me it's always been around, but I've never known anyone other than my grandparents who loved it.
I'm not sure anyone does, really, it's just this is the thing to have a hot take about this week.

For instance - https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2021/08/12/m ... ntroversy/ - Bialik is, I'm sure, no different to a bunch of other famous people who open their mouths a little too often thinking "fame=wisdom", but none of them seem to learn that this [expletive] always comes back to bite them.

How many celebs have had positive career moves from social media, compared to those who've lost jobs and had to apologise for something or other? If I was the manager of celeb X, my first advice would be "shut up".

User avatar
BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 4759
Joined: June 4 17, 10:04 pm

Re: Jeopardy

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

It's such a cultural cornerstone. I'm sure Twitter has been pissed off at less consequential stuff, and happy I never wade in those waters--directly, at least.

User avatar
ndistops
All-Star
Posts: 1289
Joined: November 20 06, 9:00 pm
Location: West Michigan

Re: Jeopardy

Post by ndistops »

If Jeopardy was looking to stay in the family I honestly think they should've gone with Buzzy. He did a fantastic job hosting the Tournament of Champions.

I liked Ken Jennings more than I thought I would. I also liked Anderson Cooper, Mayim Bialik, Robin Roberts and Aaron Rodgers (blew my expectations out of the water, probably would've been my 'outside the family' pick). I'm way behind on DVR'ed episodes but I heard good things about David Faber as well.

I did not understand the LeVar Burton hype. I think I've only seen his first one or two episodes, and it's possible he got better, but he was not good in those.

Online
User avatar
Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster
Posts: 31029
Joined: April 17 06, 11:25 am

Re: Jeopardy

Post by Popeye_Card »

I did not see LeVar, but I'm assuming most of the clamoring for him comes from him generally being a good guy and Reading Rainbow nostalgia.

User avatar
CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master
Posts: 69848
Joined: April 26 11, 6:06 am
Location: Columbus, OH

Re: Jeopardy

Post by CardsofSTL »

Popeye_Card wrote: ↑
August 13 21, 1:52 pm
I did not see LeVar, but I'm assuming most of the clamoring for him comes from him generally being a good guy and Reading Rainbow nostalgia.
Reading Rainbow + Star Trek = Greatest Jeopardy Guest Host evaaaah

User avatar
ghostrunner
GOAT
Posts: 30819
Joined: April 18 06, 9:40 pm

Re: Jeopardy

Post by ghostrunner »

Famous Mortimer wrote: ↑
August 13 21, 7:59 am
thrill wrote: ↑
August 13 21, 6:02 am
Throughout this process of losing Trebek and searching for a new host, I have been surprised at how many people really care about Jeopardy. To me it's always been around, but I've never known anyone other than my grandparents who loved it.
I'm not sure anyone does, really, it's just this is the thing to have a hot take about this week.

For instance - https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2021/08/12/m ... ntroversy/ - Bialik is, I'm sure, no different to a bunch of other famous people who open their mouths a little too often thinking "fame=wisdom", but none of them seem to learn that this [expletive] always comes back to bite them.

How many celebs have had positive career moves from social media, compared to those who've lost jobs and had to apologise for something or other? If I was the manager of celeb X, my first advice would be "shut up".
The next thing I want to hear from someone questioning vaccines based on profit motive is at least vocal support for candidates and causes opposed to profit driven medicine, and an increase in federal funding for non-profit vaccine and disease research. Otherwise, we made this bed a long time ago. For the time being we have to lie in it.

User avatar
Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 3958
Joined: November 14 14, 5:23 am
Location: Cherokee

Re: Jeopardy

Post by Famous Mortimer »

ghostrunner wrote: ↑
August 13 21, 2:08 pm
The next thing I want to hear from someone questioning vaccines based on profit motive is at least vocal support for candidates and causes opposed to profit driven medicine, and an increase in federal funding for non-profit vaccine and disease research. Otherwise, we made this bed a long time ago. For the time being we have to lie in it.
100% agree.

User avatar
BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 4759
Joined: June 4 17, 10:04 pm

Re: Jeopardy

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

i think Lavar was probably caught in the headlights. An ironic reversal of this:

Image

User avatar
CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master
Posts: 69848
Joined: April 26 11, 6:06 am
Location: Columbus, OH

Re: Jeopardy

Post by CardsofSTL »

I thought Levar improved as the week went on and he would be very good as the permanent host.

Aaron Rodgers surprised me by how good he was.

Mike Richards did a very capable job but he's also just the most boring pick to me.

Most of the other hosts were passable to good except for Couric and Oz who both seemed weird.

User avatar
MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy
Posts: 24841
Joined: July 9 06, 11:33 am
Location: Out of the Loop

Re: Jeopardy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »


Post Reply