Winter 2014/15

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
Post Reply
User avatar
Swirls
gone fission
Posts: 8299
Joined: December 11 07, 4:15 pm
Location: South Korea

Re: Winter 2014/15

Post by Swirls »

lukethedrifter wrote:
The heavy snow is common along the Tug Hill Plateau, a 50-mile wedge that rises 2,100 feet from the lake's eastern shore. It usually gets about 300 inches — roughly 25 feet — of snow a year. The hamlet of Hooker holds the state's one-year record with 466.9 inches, about 39 feet, in winter 1976-77.
Do people live here?
Yeah, lots of people do. Most are small towns, but Watertown (100k people) and Fort Drum are both right at the very top of the Tug Hill plateau. The area has fantastic snowmobile trails and gorgeous gorgeous scenery. From Watertown you only have a 1.5-2 hour drive to Lake Placid and Whiteface mountain.

Tons of people have camps/hunting cabins up there and don't really visit much in the winter (because the cabin will literally be buried in snow, similar to some of the pictures you see of Buffalo right now). But others live there year round - I worked with several people that made the drive from there to the plant - roughly 45 minutes each way in good weather. When you get hit with a few feet of snow the night before, you clear it out before you leave. I always got up an hour early in the wintertime to check outside to see if it snowed enough that I needed to fire up the tractor and plow it all before work or if it was under a foot I would be able to get out without a problem and would go back to sleep for the next hour.
Last edited by Swirls on November 21 14, 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Swirls
gone fission
Posts: 8299
Joined: December 11 07, 4:15 pm
Location: South Korea

Re: Winter 2014/15

Post by Swirls »

cardsfansince82 wrote:I would be more surprised if a Hooker *didn't* have the record for taking the most inches in a year.
=D>

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress
Posts: 26073
Joined: September 4 07, 1:48 pm
Location: St. Louis

Re: Winter 2014/15

Post by Freed Roger »

Swirls wrote:
lukethedrifter wrote:
The heavy snow is common along the Tug Hill Plateau, a 50-mile wedge that rises 2,100 feet from the lake's eastern shore. It usually gets about 300 inches — roughly 25 feet — of snow a year. The hamlet of Hooker holds the state's one-year record with 466.9 inches, about 39 feet, in winter 1976-77.
Do people live here?
Yeah, lots of people do. Most are small towns, but Watertown (100k people) and Fort Drum are both right at the very top of the Tug Hill plateau. The area has fantastic snowmobile trails and gorgeous gorgeous scenery. From Watertown you only have a 1.5-2 hour drive to Lake Placid and Whiteface mountain.

Tons of people have camps/hunting cabins up there and don't really visit much in the winter (because the cabin will literally be buried in snow, similar to some of the pictures you see of Buffalo right now). But others live there year round - I worked with several people that made the drive from there to the plant - roughly 45 minutes each way in good weather. When you get hit with a few feet of snow the night before, you clear it out before you leave. I always got up an hour early in the wintertime to check outside to see if it snowed enough that I needed to fire up the tractor and plow it all before work or if it was under a foot I would be able to get out without a problem and would go back to sleep for the next hour.
Jim hasnt replied because he busy changing travel arrangements from Cancun to snowmobile trip in Upper Ny

jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you
Posts: 50393
Joined: May 1 06, 2:41 pm

Re: Winter 2014/15

Post by jim »

45 minutes to find a god damn functioning machine to put air in my tires. Alarm went off, tire pressure low. Maybe a leak, hopefully just this god damned cold.

Not only do I hate winter but I hate everyone and everything. I hate all of you.

User avatar
Swirls
gone fission
Posts: 8299
Joined: December 11 07, 4:15 pm
Location: South Korea

Re: Winter 2014/15

Post by Swirls »

jim wrote:45 minutes to find a god damn functioning machine to put air in my tires. Alarm went off, tire pressure low. Maybe a leak, hopefully just this god damned cold.

Not only do I hate winter but I hate everyone and everything. I hate all of you.
You don't have an air compressor at home?

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress
Posts: 26073
Joined: September 4 07, 1:48 pm
Location: St. Louis

Re: Winter 2014/15

Post by Freed Roger »

Swirls wrote:
jim wrote:45 minutes to find a god damn functioning machine to put air in my tires. Alarm went off, tire pressure low. Maybe a leak, hopefully just this god damned cold.

Not only do I hate winter but I hate everyone and everything. I hate all of you.
You don't have an air compressor at home?
Is there room in the garage for a compressor?with the snow blower, shovels and all the stuff he had to bring in for winter.

Down here, I notice there is a 50/50 chance of a gas station compressor working (even the paying ones). I know exactly what Jim is talking about - something so easy/routine as putting air in tires can be a project. One time, I wasn't paying attention and machine wasn't working so flattened my tire even more. So now, lots of times I just drive around with tires that need air, and just wait a few months until next oil change.

Arthur Dent
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 12536
Joined: April 25 06, 6:43 pm
Location: Austin

Re: Winter 2014/15

Post by Arthur Dent »

Also, you can just use a bike pump.

jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you
Posts: 50393
Joined: May 1 06, 2:41 pm

Re: Winter 2014/15

Post by jim »

Swirls wrote:
jim wrote:45 minutes to find a god damn functioning machine to put air in my tires. Alarm went off, tire pressure low. Maybe a leak, hopefully just this god damned cold.

Not only do I hate winter but I hate everyone and everything. I hate all of you.
You don't have an air compressor at home?
I have a lot of [expletive] at home. A lot of [expletive] good it does you when you aren't home.

jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you
Posts: 50393
Joined: May 1 06, 2:41 pm

Re: Winter 2014/15

Post by jim »

Freed Roger wrote:
Swirls wrote:
jim wrote:45 minutes to find a god damn functioning machine to put air in my tires. Alarm went off, tire pressure low. Maybe a leak, hopefully just this god damned cold.

Not only do I hate winter but I hate everyone and everything. I hate all of you.
You don't have an air compressor at home?
Is there room in the garage for a compressor?with the snow blower, shovels and all the stuff he had to bring in for winter.

Down here, I notice there is a 50/50 chance of a gas station compressor working (even the paying ones). I know exactly what Jim is talking about - something so easy/routine as putting air in tires can be a project. One time, I wasn't paying attention and machine wasn't working so flattened my tire even more. So now, lots of times I just drive around with tires that need air, and just wait a few months until next oil change.
A project - exactly. I had actually just driven through the gate at work, was driving to my building when I noticed the alarm. Pulled off, checked the tire pressure, and saw it was at 22psi. Two mother [expletive] gas stations right outside of the campus, and neither worked. One of them I needed to get change, waited in line for I swear 10 minutes while the half wit attendant was busy selling lottery tickets and cigarettes to a long line of half wit customers. I swear the attendant and the people in line were the DUMBEST god damned people I have EVER seen in my life. DUMB. Finally got up there and she told me it was broke. At least the one across the street had a big bag over it. Drove a mile to another station and I can't even describe the stupidity at this place. Machine in use of course, trucks right next to me pulling up to pour gas into the tanks. Just a [expletive] disaster. Freezing my ass off the entire time.

User avatar
cardsfansince82
is shooing asian children away from his fridge.
Posts: 27776
Joined: May 17 06, 10:23 pm
Location: at the gettin' place

Re: Winter 2014/15

Post by cardsfansince82 »

Another data point in QuikTrip's favor as the best gas station: air is free and it's always working unless some dip [expletive] broke the nozzle very recently. They fix it pretty quick.

Post Reply