Obama/Biden vs. McCain/Palin

Classic threads for your viewing pleasure.
Locked
User avatar
JL21
NPR & THT Contributor
Posts: 36109
Joined: April 18 06, 7:44 am
Location: Chocolate City

Re: Obama/Biden vs. McCain/Palin

Post by JL21 »

JG1982 wrote:
JL21 wrote:
JG1982 wrote:What's the message?

This oughta be good
Your own words:
black people are part of the racism problem because they scream it even when it isn't an issue
And does this mean I'm racist?

This is laughable...I'm done
So do you want me to answer that question or not?

The answer is no, it doesn't mean that you're racist. I can't presume to know what's in your heart anymore than I can anyone else's... which is precisely what you're doing here in assuming that "they" are wrong in "screaming" racism.

User avatar
haltz
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 22630
Joined: November 9 06, 6:45 am
Location: a proud midwestern metropolis

Re: Obama/Biden vs. McCain/Palin

Post by haltz »

To be fair the only people I've ever heard [expletive] about 'reverse racism' are indeed racist.

Honestly, saying that interpreting something as racism when it's not there is on the same level as racism is one of the stupidest things I've read on this board.

User avatar
KyCardinalFan
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 5520
Joined: May 31 06, 3:16 pm
Location: Western Kentucky

Re: Obama/Biden vs. McCain/Palin

Post by KyCardinalFan »

I think JG is talking about people who play the "race card" because their is a "conflict" between two races that is simply a conflict and not about race. Many have discussed how crying race for every issue doesn't help highlight the issues that actually are racist. People, ingeneral, become numb to the argument because it is overused.

Leonard Pitts had a good article about that during one of the national "scandals" in the last couple of years which I'll try to find.

JG1982
Everyday Player
Posts: 492
Joined: July 28 08, 12:21 pm

Re: Obama/Biden vs. McCain/Palin

Post by JG1982 »

KyCardinalFan wrote:I think JG is talking about people who play the "race card" because their is a "conflict" between two races that is simply a conflict and not about race. Many have discussed how crying race for every issue doesn't help highlight the issues that actually are racist. People, ingeneral, become numb to the argument because it is overused.

Leonard Pitts had a good article about that during one of the national "scandals" in the last couple of years which I'll try to find.
Thank you KY

And haltz, I appreciate the stigma you put on me that I'm racist, even when I said I used reverse racism in the wrong context, and I also appreciate you saying I said the stupidest thing ever on the board....I'm so proud

Michael
GRB Founder
Posts: 35303
Joined: December 31 69, 6:00 pm
Location: Chicago, IL
Contact:

Re: Obama/Biden vs. McCain/Palin

Post by Michael »

Okay... let's all take a deep breath.

User avatar
Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster
Posts: 31038
Joined: April 17 06, 11:25 am

Re: Obama/Biden vs. McCain/Palin

Post by Popeye_Card »

KyCardinalFan wrote:I think JG is talking about people who play the "race card" because their is a "conflict" between two races that is simply a conflict and not about race. Many have discussed how crying race for every issue doesn't help highlight the issues that actually are racist. People, ingeneral, become numb to the argument because it is overused.

Leonard Pitts had a good article about that during one of the national "scandals" in the last couple of years which I'll try to find.
I know that's what he's getting at, and I agree it's an issue. I just don't know how harmful of issue it is. Usually, it's more harmful to black people (too many people crying wolf) than it is white people (getting fired, jailed, etc.).

I do think it's quite silly when a little slip on the radio causes a firing (like the guy who accidently said "coon", when it was quite obvious he wasn't being racist). But in the grand scheme of things, I think it pales in comparison to hearing people on the radio state categorically that they cannot vote for a black man, or two white guys plotting to kill Obama (as well as 88 other blacks).

TimeForGuinness
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 20007
Joined: April 18 06, 7:38 pm

Re: Obama/Biden vs. McCain/Palin

Post by TimeForGuinness »

pop_haines wrote:Agree. The elephant in the room will trample us all.
Especially if it's the pink elephant that I see after a long night of Guinness...he's a mean bastard.

Jocephus
99% conan clips
Posts: 64992
Joined: April 18 06, 5:14 pm

Re: Obama/Biden vs. McCain/Palin

Post by Jocephus »

TimeForGuinness wrote:
pop_haines wrote:Agree. The elephant in the room will trample us all.
Especially if it's the pink elephant that I see after a long night of Guinness...he's a mean bastard.
its mroe a brown elephant for me the next morning....

TimeForGuinness
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 20007
Joined: April 18 06, 7:38 pm

Re: Obama/Biden vs. McCain/Palin

Post by TimeForGuinness »

pop_haines wrote:
TimeForGuinness wrote:
pop_haines wrote:Agree. The elephant in the room will trample us all.
Especially if it's the pink elephant that I see after a long night of Guinness...he's a mean bastard.
I plan on meeting up with him tonight.

I'll tell him you said hey.
If by "hey" you mean "sod off"...then yes...tell that bastard "hey"

User avatar
Cronos
In perpetuum
Posts: 34778
Joined: June 30 06, 7:49 am
Location: St. Louis

Re: Obama/Biden vs. McCain/Palin

Post by Cronos »

By the way, Obama isn't black. He's bi-racial.

Hooray for all of this nonsense being almost over.
Last edited by Cronos on November 4 08, 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Locked