When white people have had to deal with centuries of being pooped on the way that black people have, then maybe we can talk about "calling black people out" about some things that are said.JG1982 wrote:Ok some of you may be mis-understanding what I'm saying or I'm using reverse racism wrong
Some of the things that black people say that they aren't called out on are ridiculous to me when you look at the amount of times Jesse Jackson is on my television screaming racism against blacks..
Obama/Biden vs. McCain/Palin
- JL21
- NPR & THT Contributor
- Posts: 36109
- Joined: April 18 06, 7:44 am
- Location: Chocolate City
Re: Obama/Biden vs. McCain/Palin
- StatmanCrothers
- Perennial All-Star
- Posts: 6461
- Joined: April 17 06, 6:50 am
- Location: Boston burbs
- Contact:
Re: Obama/Biden vs. McCain/Palin
i agree. i think i know what is meant by it, but i believe "reverse racism" is an oxymoron. the term racism applies to any bias based on race, not just a negative bias, and not only towards those of a race different than yourself. i personally feel that as a native of Indiana, I am part of the chosen people, and so i call both Michael Jackson and Axl Rose my brothers, along with Gil Hodges, Scott Rolen and Larry Bird.docellis wrote:This seems like a ridiculous thing to concern yourself with. "Reverse racism".JG1982 wrote: It's a totally different topic for a totally different day, but the amount of reverse racism in this country that goes by the way side without any repercussions is just as bad if not worse then the racism imo
-
Faceman
- Perennial All-Star
- Posts: 4800
- Joined: May 23 06, 11:56 am
- Location: Memphis, TN
Re: Obama/Biden vs. McCain/Palin
I also think that there is a huge difference here in what people are accustomed to.
Black people are pretty used to not having black people in the white house.
White people are not at all used to having a black person IN the white house.
If Obama wins, it will be the worst fear realized for a lot of people. Strictly because of his color. And it will be the first time those people have felt that before.
Black people are pretty used to not having black people in the white house.
White people are not at all used to having a black person IN the white house.
If Obama wins, it will be the worst fear realized for a lot of people. Strictly because of his color. And it will be the first time those people have felt that before.
-
JG1982
- Everyday Player
- Posts: 492
- Joined: July 28 08, 12:21 pm
Re: Obama/Biden vs. McCain/Palin
Ok, this is what I'm trying to say...and it would be a lot easier to try and explain it if you were in front of me then on a computer
Racism just isn't a white against black problem...and what I mean by that is I think black people are just as much as fault when talking about racism because they cry it when they don't get a job (even though they may be unqualified for the position), they cry it when a black man is arrested (even though they may be guilty), and so on...
I'm not saying all blacks do this, because that's just not true, but my point before was not reverse racism (which i was using wrong) but that black people are part of the racism problem because they scream it even when it isn't an issue
Racism just isn't a white against black problem...and what I mean by that is I think black people are just as much as fault when talking about racism because they cry it when they don't get a job (even though they may be unqualified for the position), they cry it when a black man is arrested (even though they may be guilty), and so on...
I'm not saying all blacks do this, because that's just not true, but my point before was not reverse racism (which i was using wrong) but that black people are part of the racism problem because they scream it even when it isn't an issue
- haltz
- Hall Of Famer
- Posts: 22630
- Joined: November 9 06, 6:45 am
- Location: a proud midwestern metropolis
Re: Obama/Biden vs. McCain/Palin
Reverse racism doesn't even make sense. There's hate and intolerance and it's just plain racism across the board.
If Jesse Jackson is crying foul where racism doesn't exist, that's not racism. It's either an misinterpretation, or manufacturing something for personal gain. Calling that on par with actual racism would be funny if it wasn't so embarrassing.
If Jesse Jackson is crying foul where racism doesn't exist, that's not racism. It's either an misinterpretation, or manufacturing something for personal gain. Calling that on par with actual racism would be funny if it wasn't so embarrassing.
- heyzeus
- Everday Unicorn
- Posts: 43288
- Joined: April 21 06, 10:14 am
- Location: Austin, TX
Re: Obama/Biden vs. McCain/Palin
Riots are what happens when, say, the Phillies win the world series.
This is an election. It's not really a riot-time.
This is an election. It's not really a riot-time.
- StatmanCrothers
- Perennial All-Star
- Posts: 6461
- Joined: April 17 06, 6:50 am
- Location: Boston burbs
- Contact:
Re: Obama/Biden vs. McCain/Palin
Racism directed against blacks is still entrenched, sadly, in many areas of the country. It seems a natural reaction to "hate back" against a majority that oppresses you. I think if one is a member of an oppressive majority, focusing on finger pointing by the minority is a form of denial of a status quo that is all too real.JG1982 wrote:Ok some of you may be mis-understanding what I'm saying or I'm using reverse racism wrong
Some of the things that black people say that they aren't called out on are ridiculous to me when you look at the amount of times Jesse Jackson is on my television screaming racism against blacks..
- haltz
- Hall Of Famer
- Posts: 22630
- Joined: November 9 06, 6:45 am
- Location: a proud midwestern metropolis
Re: Obama/Biden vs. McCain/Palin
You're not helping yourself here.JG1982 wrote:Ok, this is what I'm trying to say...and it would be a lot easier to try and explain it if you were in front of me then on a computer
Racism just isn't a white against black problem...and what I mean by that is I think black people are just as much as fault when talking about racism because they cry it when they don't get a job (even though they may be unqualified for the position), they cry it when a black man is arrested (even though they may be guilty), and so on...
I'm not saying all blacks do this, because that's just not true, but my point before was not reverse racism (which i was using wrong) but that black people are part of the racism problem because they scream it even when it isn't an issue
-
Michael
- GRB Founder
- Posts: 35303
- Joined: December 31 69, 6:00 pm
- Location: Chicago, IL
- Contact:
Re: Obama/Biden vs. McCain/Palin
JL21 wrote:When white people have had to deal with centuries of being pooped on the way that black people have, then maybe we can talk about "calling black people out" about some things that are said.JG1982 wrote:Ok some of you may be mis-understanding what I'm saying or I'm using reverse racism wrong
Some of the things that black people say that they aren't called out on are ridiculous to me when you look at the amount of times Jesse Jackson is on my television screaming racism against blacks..
I don't follow this logic. Just because white people weren't slaves in this country doesn't mean there isn't racism on all sides and it's not wrong. Clearly a lot of white people blow it out of proportion, but any type of racism is a problem.
- JL21
- NPR & THT Contributor
- Posts: 36109
- Joined: April 18 06, 7:44 am
- Location: Chocolate City
Re: Obama/Biden vs. McCain/Palin
For this to be true, you'd have to be intimately familiar with:JG1982 wrote:Ok, this is what I'm trying to say...and it would be a lot easier to try and explain it if you were in front of me then on a computer
Racism just isn't a white against black problem...and what I mean by that is I think black people are just as much as fault when talking about racism because they cry it when they don't get a job (even though they may be unqualified for the position), they cry it when a black man is arrested (even though they may be guilty), and so on...
I'm not saying all blacks do this, because that's just not true, but my point before was not reverse racism (which i was using wrong) but that black people are part of the racism problem because they scream it even when it isn't an issue
a) the accuser's personal biography
b) the offender's personal biography (say, the cop arresting the black person or the person doing the hiring that passed over the black person)
If you aren't, then you're making a buttload of assumptions, and drawing an erroneous conclusion from those assumptions.
You're explaining yourself just fine. You're coming through loud and clear. And the message is not a good one.


