Rave: University of Chicago
- lukethedrifter
- darjeeling sipping elite
- Posts: 37260
- Joined: October 17 06, 11:19 am
- Location: Huis Clos
Re: Rave: University of Chicago
I want low taxes is an oversimplification of something but I'm not sure what. What the [expletive] do you want your government to provide and how shall we pay for it? I'm tired of hearing about your tax cut.
I want Halle Berry/cantaloupe threesome.
I want Halle Berry/cantaloupe threesome.
- Tim
- Consider him admonished
- Posts: 8320
- Joined: March 25 15, 9:59 am
- Location: The South
Re: Rave: University of Chicago
I'd start with what I don't want government providing: countless military bases, guaranteed student loans for poor performing students, militarized police forces, prisons housing drug userslukethedrifter wrote:I want low taxes is an oversimplification of something but I'm not sure what. What the [expletive] do you want your government to provide and how shall we pay for it? I'm tired of hearing about your tax cut.
I want Halle Berry/cantaloupe threesome.
- lukethedrifter
- darjeeling sipping elite
- Posts: 37260
- Joined: October 17 06, 11:19 am
- Location: Huis Clos
Re: Rave: University of Chicago
Can you think of anything we as a society aka the govt are spending any/enough money on?Tim wrote:I'd start with what I don't want government providing: countless military bases, guaranteed student loans for poor performing students, militarized police forces, prisons housing drug userslukethedrifter wrote:I want low taxes is an oversimplification of something but I'm not sure what. What the [expletive] do you want your government to provide and how shall we pay for it? I'm tired of hearing about your tax cut.
I want Halle Berry/cantaloupe threesome.
- Tim
- Consider him admonished
- Posts: 8320
- Joined: March 25 15, 9:59 am
- Location: The South
Re: Rave: University of Chicago
Sorry don't think I follow. Are you asking if there is a government program that could use more money?lukethedrifter wrote:Can you think of anything we as a society aka the govt are spending any/enough money on?Tim wrote:I'd start with what I don't want government providing: countless military bases, guaranteed student loans for poor performing students, militarized police forces, prisons housing drug userslukethedrifter wrote:I want low taxes is an oversimplification of something but I'm not sure what. What the [expletive] do you want your government to provide and how shall we pay for it? I'm tired of hearing about your tax cut.
I want Halle Berry/cantaloupe threesome.
- lukethedrifter
- darjeeling sipping elite
- Posts: 37260
- Joined: October 17 06, 11:19 am
- Location: Huis Clos
Re: Rave: University of Chicago
Sorry, yes. Or nonexistent program.Tim wrote:Sorry don't think I follow. Are you asking if there is a government program that could use more money?lukethedrifter wrote:Can you think of anything we as a society aka the govt are not spending any/enough money on?Tim wrote:I'd start with what I don't want government providing: countless military bases, guaranteed student loans for poor performing students, militarized police forces, prisons housing drug userslukethedrifter wrote:I want low taxes is an oversimplification of something but I'm not sure what. What the [expletive] do you want your government to provide and how shall we pay for it? I'm tired of hearing about your tax cut.
I want Halle Berry/cantaloupe threesome.
I hate phone/iPad typing.
- Tim
- Consider him admonished
- Posts: 8320
- Joined: March 25 15, 9:59 am
- Location: The South
Re: Rave: University of Chicago
I mean, nothing comes to mind. Of course, I come from the mindset that most things government touches is inefficient and would be better suited ran by the private sector. Now, obviously public schooling isn't going away. On this I agree with Gary Johnson. Get rid of the Dept of Education and let the states educate the children. It is more efficient that way. "50 labs of experiment" or however Gary describes it. Tennessee does a good job, Arkansas doesn't, then Arkansas learns and starts doing it Tennessee's way.lukethedrifter wrote:Sorry, yes. Or nonexistent program.Tim wrote:Sorry don't think I follow. Are you asking if there is a government program that could use more money?lukethedrifter wrote:Can you think of anything we as a society aka the govt are not spending any/enough money on?Tim wrote:I'd start with what I don't want government providing: countless military bases, guaranteed student loans for poor performing students, militarized police forces, prisons housing drug userslukethedrifter wrote:I want low taxes is an oversimplification of something but I'm not sure what. What the [expletive] do you want your government to provide and how shall we pay for it? I'm tired of hearing about your tax cut.
I want Halle Berry/cantaloupe threesome.
I hate phone/iPad typing.
- lukethedrifter
- darjeeling sipping elite
- Posts: 37260
- Joined: October 17 06, 11:19 am
- Location: Huis Clos
Re: Rave: University of Chicago
Private prisons?
- Tim
- Consider him admonished
- Posts: 8320
- Joined: March 25 15, 9:59 am
- Location: The South
Re: Rave: University of Chicago
Disgusting, but it isn't like private prisons closing is going to let a bunch of people out of prison. They're just going to go to a public prison. We're paying for it either way.lukethedrifter wrote:Private prisons?
- Transmogrified Tiger
- Puppy Murderer
- Posts: 9323
- Joined: April 25 06, 6:07 pm
- Location: Across the River
Re: Rave: University of Chicago
Can someone help me understand safe spaces a little better? Reading through here, they are a place where you retreat(for lack of a better word) when you are exposed to speech or situations that are damaging because of your past poor experiences(e.g. homophobia, sexual assault, racism, etc). They are by nature private so that people can't intentionally disrupt the experience for those using them, but also not a solo experience(hence why 'your room' isn't sufficient). That sounds good to me. It also sounds almost exactly like using a therapist or counselor. Universities can and do offer those types of services(and there's definitely room to do more and talk about if that's a good idea), so my question is twofold:
1) Why are there separate terminology and distinctions? To be honest, I have the similar reaction to hearing safe spaces and trigger warnings as I do to phrases like social justice warrior being used as a pejorative. In the abstract there's nothing wrong with the feelings behind them, but the terminology used has largely been co-opted by a group that doesn't really understand or correctly apply those feelings to the situations they encounter. Maybe that's just not being very close to this type of thing(I won't claim to have my finger on the pulse), but college aged students as a whole aren't always great about practicality or realism either(see Mizzou and CS1950 for a great example of a terrific cause represented in a very poor way).
2) Why does this topic frequently come up with regards to actual activities on campus? Maybe I'm just re-stating heyzeus here, but the whole first amendment analogy seems pretty spot on. There are probably times where that type of binary approach falls apart(like debates on Nazis doing parades in certain towns), but to go back to the first question, every time I've seen it come up in practice it hasn't been that type of situation
All of that is not to endorse the U of Chicago people, it certainly sounds like their heads aren't in the right place. I'm less concerned about this particular instance and more curious about the larger trend.
1) Why are there separate terminology and distinctions? To be honest, I have the similar reaction to hearing safe spaces and trigger warnings as I do to phrases like social justice warrior being used as a pejorative. In the abstract there's nothing wrong with the feelings behind them, but the terminology used has largely been co-opted by a group that doesn't really understand or correctly apply those feelings to the situations they encounter. Maybe that's just not being very close to this type of thing(I won't claim to have my finger on the pulse), but college aged students as a whole aren't always great about practicality or realism either(see Mizzou and CS1950 for a great example of a terrific cause represented in a very poor way).
2) Why does this topic frequently come up with regards to actual activities on campus? Maybe I'm just re-stating heyzeus here, but the whole first amendment analogy seems pretty spot on. There are probably times where that type of binary approach falls apart(like debates on Nazis doing parades in certain towns), but to go back to the first question, every time I've seen it come up in practice it hasn't been that type of situation
All of that is not to endorse the U of Chicago people, it certainly sounds like their heads aren't in the right place. I'm less concerned about this particular instance and more curious about the larger trend.
- themiddle54
- Perennial All-Star
- Posts: 4524
- Joined: August 24 10, 2:49 pm



