This. A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court is another one full of social commentary, and it's hilarious. His travel writings (Roughing It, Life on the Mississippi, etc.) are fantastic, too.heyzeus wrote:Yes. Huck Finn is going to be your more profound work, full of the social commentary (ie, black people are humans and should not property) that may seem somewhat banal today, but was radical for its time. There's also some great river imagery, and it's like a travelogue of our country as it was at that time.IMADreamer wrote:As a guy who had never read any of Mark Twain's work growing up would it be worth doing so as an adult? I mean you can see the guys hometown from my farm. Seems like I should at least give him a look.
Tom Sawyer is great too. It's more in the tradition of a picaresque American comedy. Not as much on the social commentary. Just an enjoyable set of Americana. This reminds me, I haven't read either of these books in a long, long time.
Book thread
- redbirdjazzz
- Perennial All-Star
- Posts: 4921
- Joined: April 17 06, 10:50 am
- Location: Columbia, MO
Re: Book thread
-
Vidor
- You've just been hit by...VidorSmarm™
- Posts: 22956
- Joined: June 10 10, 7:50 pm
Re: Book thread
The ending of "A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court" knocked me on my ass.
And here's a very very short read: an 1879 speech by Twain given to a private club about...masturbation.
http://www.textfiles.com/etext/AUTHORS/ ... nanism.txt
And here's a very very short read: an 1879 speech by Twain given to a private club about...masturbation.
http://www.textfiles.com/etext/AUTHORS/ ... nanism.txt
The internet proved him wrong about that last part.Of all the various kinds of sexual intercourse, this has the
least to recommend it. As an amusement, it is too fleeting; as an
occupation, it is too wearing; as a public exhibition, there is no
money in it.
- Famous Mortimer
- Perennial All-Star
- Posts: 3959
- Joined: November 14 14, 5:23 am
- Location: Cherokee
Re: Book thread
I just finished reading "They All Love Jack", a book about Jack The Ripper from Bruce Robinson, better known as the director of Withnail & I. He did his research, and it's an interesting argument, even if I don't agree with all of it.
What is interesting is how he praises the American press, who weren't tied down by Royal and Freemasonic webs of influence, and stuck the boot into the corrupt British ruling class.
What is interesting is how he praises the American press, who weren't tied down by Royal and Freemasonic webs of influence, and stuck the boot into the corrupt British ruling class.
- thrill
- bronoun enthusiast
- Posts: 30539
- Joined: April 14 06, 10:45 pm
- Location: barely online
Re: Book thread
RIP Jim Harrison. One of my favorites. Can't think of anyone who's art made me feel more connected to the earth and what it means to be human. I've been reading his memoir in bits and pieces and figured this day would come sooner rather than later, but based on what I've read so far, very few people lived quite as much or quite so stubbornly how they wanted to. This is a man who devoured life in huge gulps and savored every drop. I'd stack his 78 years up against just about anyone's.
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/28/arts/ ... .html?_r=0
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/28/arts/ ... .html?_r=0
-
Freed Roger
- Seeking a Zubaz seamstress
- Posts: 26073
- Joined: September 4 07, 1:48 pm
- Location: St. Louis
Re: Book thread
Yeah, Jim Harrison had a lot of fun. Enjoyed reading his collection of articles -Just Before Dark. Kind of hard to put a label on him.
- thrill
- bronoun enthusiast
- Posts: 30539
- Joined: April 14 06, 10:45 pm
- Location: barely online
Re: Book thread
This is a good profile on Jim Harrison.
http://www.outsideonline.com/1893296/last-lion
http://www.outsideonline.com/1893296/last-lion
- The Third Man
- It rubs the lotion on its skin.
- Posts: 8935
- Joined: July 17 06, 1:00 pm
Re: Book thread
I'm finally reading Catch-22 and laughing my ass off.
- Tim
- Consider him admonished
- Posts: 8320
- Joined: March 25 15, 9:59 am
- Location: The South
Re: Book thread
Reading The Bullpen Gospels by Dirk Hayhurst. 70% done. It's meh
-
MrSaigon
Re: Book thread
Gladwell's new thing is a podcast called Revisionist History. The first episode didn't really click into place well, IMO. The second was an interesting new perspective on the buildup to the Vietnam war.
I also recently discovered Google's podcast library/streaming thing. It's made (dodging) my workday more efficient. If you listen to podcasts off a computer like I (mostly) do, it's good. No install involved.
I also recently discovered Google's podcast library/streaming thing. It's made (dodging) my workday more efficient. If you listen to podcasts off a computer like I (mostly) do, it's good. No install involved.




