Page 6 of 9

Re: St. Louis Blues, 2019 Stanley Cup Champions

Posted: June 17 19, 1:04 pm
by Freed Roger
ThatGuy wrote:I don't want to post anything since it's behind a paywall, but Athletic subscribers should read Jeremy Rutherford's recap of the parade. They got to ride along with Jake Allen as he interacted with fans - really, really good stuff.
not the article you refer to, but similar theme
St. Louis Blues' Stanley Cup Parade Felt Like Redemption
it was what the parade turned into: a party where lines blurred and heroes mingled with crowds, where the distance between a sports fan and his favorite player shrunk until it was nothing at all
The Cup itself makes some of this happen. It's sport's best trophy IMO. There is only one*. They have it for a year. The Cup shows up wherever, gets shared around, the players are humbled by their short time with it, want to make the most of having it, and showing it off. The perfect prop- wherever it goes, thee ice is broke and there's an instant party.

*FWIW, several times I've been in dumb fun but competitive/prideful league - (my family washers competition, my first Fantasy FB league etc) we always made the trophy into a Cup/Championship belt sort of thing. You only own it as the reigning champ.

Re: St. Louis Blues, 2019 Stanley Cup Champions

Posted: June 17 19, 1:15 pm
by JCShutout
ThatGuy wrote:I don't want to post anything since it's behind a paywall, but Athletic subscribers should read Jeremy Rutherford's recap of the parade. They got to ride along with Jake Allen as he interacted with fans - really, really good stuff.

I've always paid more attention to the Cardinals than the Blues, but watching the playoffs this year and seeing the joy at the parade, the way the players interacted with fans and made them part of the celebration ... it's so, so cool. This is a great bunch of guys, and I'm sure the Blues have brought plenty of new fans into the fold while also validating the long-suffering fans who've waited years and years for this to happen. They really made it a party for the whole city.

St. Louis gets a lot of grief, but it's an incredible sports city. And yes, there's more to life than sports, but this is a pretty powerful indicator of what a uniting force sports can be. The last few months have risen close to the top of all my sports memories, and yes, I've already ordered a sh*t ton of Blues paraphernalia.
Indeed. I can't remember if I said it here or on LGB, but I bought nothing after the Cards won in 06 and 11. Eventually bought a game 6 art piece when it was being remade like 5 years later and got a couple of the budweiser bottles from friends.

Me after the Blues win the SCF...

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

Re: St. Louis Blues, 2019 Stanley Cup Champions

Posted: June 17 19, 1:20 pm
by Freed Roger
A St L themed t-shirt shop (Arch Apparel) hit paydirt by opening brick and mortar store nearby a few months ago. They are packed all the time.

Re: St. Louis Blues, 2019 Stanley Cup Champions

Posted: June 17 19, 3:42 pm
by Freed Roger

Re: St. Louis Blues, 2019 Stanley Cup Champions

Posted: June 17 19, 7:56 pm
by Radbird

Re: St. Louis Blues, 2019 Stanley Cup Champions

Posted: June 17 19, 8:05 pm
by JCShutout
https://www.nhl.com/video/t-279435400/c ... rId=nhl-rr

Finals moments in slow mo with dramatic music. Probably corny, but I don't care! Includes crying Marchand towards the end.

Re: St. Louis Blues, 2019 Stanley Cup Champions

Posted: June 17 19, 8:09 pm
by Radbird

Re: St. Louis Blues, 2019 Stanley Cup Champions

Posted: June 17 19, 8:12 pm
by CardsofSTL
JCShutout wrote:https://www.nhl.com/video/t-279435400/c ... rId=nhl-rr

Finals moments in slow mo with dramatic music. Probably corny, but I don't care! Includes crying Marchand towards the end.
You had me at crying Marchand

Re: St. Louis Blues, 2019 Stanley Cup Champions

Posted: June 20 19, 4:37 pm
by sighyoung

Re: St. Louis Blues, 2019 Stanley Cup Champions

Posted: June 21 19, 11:05 am
by JCShutout
Last night I watched Keenan Thompson's cold opening (Layla was in there), his monologue, and ROR's speeches.

Thompson was really funny, and very few people were laughing. When he said he wasn't "one of the Subbans" I literally lol'd. I mean, it wasn't the best stand-up ever, but it was solidly funny, and the hockey players they kept panning to were giving little response. (Excepting PK Subban and Thornton when his beard was commented on)