Do you consider St. Louis a Midwestern or Southern city?

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Post Reply

Do you consider St. Louis a Midwestern or Southern city?

Midwestern
55
92%
Southern
5
8%
 
Total votes: 60

User avatar
haltz
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 22630
Joined: November 9 06, 6:45 am
Location: a proud midwestern metropolis

Post by haltz »

RC21 wrote:
haltz wrote:Seriously though, there is a difference between country/hick/hoosier (that you find universally the farther away you get from large cities) and southern. I think some of you people are confusing the two.
That's kind of my point- about how you can find "hoosiers" anywhere.
To take it even farther, I think that perceiving, let's say, Fenton, as more "southern" than other parts of metro St. Louis goes to show how much of a midwest town it is. I remember when I was a young and my family moved to St. Louis from Texas, my parents, and people who came to visit, thought it had a real northern feel. It didn't really have much to do with the size of the city either, my parents are from Dallas.

Anyway, I've heard plenty of people say highway "fawrty". I want to say the common denominator was that they were originally from North St. Louis. I think my buddies mom who says that all the time went to McCluer N. Also, I had a summer coach who not only had that accent, but it was very pronounced. He worked at the beer factory just for good measure.
heyzeus wrote:Imo's had a buffet?
I'm pretty sure the one in Columbia still has a buffet. You should make the trip, it would be totally worth it. $8; 11-2. Think about it.

jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you
Posts: 50393
Joined: May 1 06, 2:41 pm

Post by jim »

haltz wrote: Anyway, I've heard plenty of people say highway "fawrty". I want to say the common denominator was that they were originally from North St. Louis. I think my buddies mom who says that all the time went to McCluer N. Also, I had a summer coach who not only had that accent, but it was very pronounced. He worked at the beer factory just for good measure.
Maybe that's it, I worked out by Lambert and there were a lot of North County residents there.

Anyway, I didn't know Imo's had a commercial making fun of that, I just noticed it when I lived there. Interesting that everyone from St. Louis is saying they don't say it and don't know of anyone who does, yet everyone not from St. Louis who has spent time there hears it.

I went to buy a boat once in Fenton, and to me it did feel like I was in a more southern area then North County.

User avatar
StL Dan
banned
Posts: 8159
Joined: June 14 06, 9:40 pm
Location: St. Louis in spirit

Post by StL Dan »

jim wrote:
haltz wrote: Anyway, I've heard plenty of people say highway "fawrty". I want to say the common denominator was that they were originally from North St. Louis. I think my buddies mom who says that all the time went to McCluer N. Also, I had a summer coach who not only had that accent, but it was very pronounced. He worked at the beer factory just for good measure.
Maybe that's it, I worked out by Lambert and there were a lot of North County residents there.

Anyway, I didn't know Imo's had a commercial making fun of that, I just noticed it when I lived there. Interesting that everyone from St. Louis is saying they don't say it and don't know of anyone who does, yet everyone not from St. Louis who has spent time there hears it.

I went to buy a boat once in Fenton, and to me it did feel like I was in a more southern area then North County.
Heck, Fenton is waaay down there. Then again, I grew up in Bridgeton. Anything south of Highway Farty was "waaay down there".

maddash
is eerily well-versed on Project Runway and irony
Posts: 8508
Joined: June 26 06, 3:07 pm

Post by maddash »

I remember an RFT article on St. Louis' "southern side" from years ago, and luckily was able to find it on teh intarnets:

http://www.riverfronttimes.com/2002-08- ... e-chicken/

There's no doubt that there have been southern elements to St. Louis' history and heritage. And while I totally agree that we're mostly a Midwestern city, there's still that streak of southernness that, for the most part, we just try to sweep under the rug.

User avatar
JL21
NPR & THT Contributor
Posts: 36109
Joined: April 18 06, 7:44 am
Location: Chocolate City

Post by JL21 »

StL Dan wrote:Gimme a break, man. It was 1987.
Was Tawny Kitaen airbrushed onto the hood?

User avatar
GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass
Posts: 14665
Joined: April 20 06, 8:43 pm
Location: Please use blue font for the sarcasm impaired.

Post by GeddyWrox »

One time my brother and I were traveling in Arkansas and we stopped in a hole-in-the-wall family diner place. Looked like an old barn converted into a restaurant. We were a little afraid to go in, but were starving so we decided to give it a shot.

We get in and the waitress is pretty friendly, so we're talking a while, and at the end of our visit, she asks, "Where yawl frum?"

We respond "St. Louis."

To which she exclaims, "Saint LOOIS!?! Shoot, I thawt yawlz was frum Canada er sumpin!!!"

St. Louis is Midwestern. Sorry fellers!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

User avatar
Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me
Posts: 62303
Joined: April 18 06, 5:08 pm
Location: LF Bleachers @ Busch II

Post by Radbird »

StL Dan wrote:I had a mullet and drove a 69 Camaro. Seriously. =D>
I demand pics.

Please.

User avatar
StL Dan
banned
Posts: 8159
Joined: June 14 06, 9:40 pm
Location: St. Louis in spirit

Post by StL Dan »

RC21 wrote:
StL Dan wrote:Gimme a break, man. It was 1987.
Was Tawny Kitaen airbrushed onto the hood?
=D>

No. My parents would have taken the car away from me over something like that.

User avatar
StL Dan
banned
Posts: 8159
Joined: June 14 06, 9:40 pm
Location: St. Louis in spirit

Post by StL Dan »

Radbird wrote:
StL Dan wrote:I had a mullet and drove a 69 Camaro. Seriously. =D>
I demand pics.

Please.
I've got some laying around my parents house in The Lou. I'll work on that one for you. :D

User avatar
Capt_Morgan
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 3255
Joined: April 17 06, 5:06 pm
Location: in the heart of cardinal nation
Contact:

Post by Capt_Morgan »

i would think Midwestern

Post Reply