Big12 Breaking Up?

A forum for non-baseball sports
Post Reply
User avatar
JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 9248
Joined: September 8 09, 10:56 pm
Location: South County, St. Louis

Re: Big12 Breaking Up?

Post by JoeMcKim »

So basically Mizzou's best future plans are to get taken in by either the Big Ten or the SEC? From a competitive stand point I think we should try to avoid the SEC since that is a STACKED conference where except for Vanderbilt all the teams in the conference seem to be top of the line.

User avatar
New Pagodi
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 4219
Joined: April 18 06, 11:30 pm
Location: St. Louis
Contact:

Re: Big12 Breaking Up?

Post by New Pagodi »

As I've said before, I know less about college athletics that anybody. Anybody. Is there a chance that both Missouri and Kansas could move to the big 10 when the conference falls apart? It would be a shame to lose that rivalry.

User avatar
Transmogrified Tiger
Puppy Murderer
Posts: 9323
Joined: April 25 06, 6:07 pm
Location: Across the River

Re: Big12 Breaking Up?

Post by Transmogrified Tiger »

New Pagodi wrote:As I've said before, I know less about college athletics that anybody. Anybody. Is there a chance that both Missouri and Kansas could move to the big 10 when the conference falls apart? It would be a shame to lose that rivalry.
As things stand now, I'd say Mizzou has a slim chance of getting invited to the Big 10 if things break their way. The odds of Kansas joining Mizzou in the Big 10 are similar to the odds of Kansas playing for the BCS title game this year.

User avatar
JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 9248
Joined: September 8 09, 10:56 pm
Location: South County, St. Louis

Re: Big12 Breaking Up?

Post by JoeMcKim »

Kansas, Iowa State and Kansas State have the least negotiating power of all the Big 12 teams. Kansas has a really good basketball program so they have a bit more power then the other two schools though.

User avatar
cardsfansince82
is shooing asian children away from his fridge.
Posts: 27776
Joined: May 17 06, 10:23 pm
Location: at the gettin' place

Re: Big12 Breaking Up?

Post by cardsfansince82 »

I think ending up with a handful of 16 team conferences is a terrible idea. A big part of the fun of college football is the rivalries you develop from playing the same teams every year, between schools located close to each other. I'm in favor of some sort of playoff, but I don't think ruining the regular season is necessary to make that happen.

User avatar
MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy
Posts: 24841
Joined: July 9 06, 11:33 am
Location: Out of the Loop

Re: Big12 Breaking Up?

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

A Doug Gottlieb and Joe Schad report on Sportscenter today says A&M is definitely going to the SEC, and that Mizzou, Clemson and Florida State have received or will receive offers. Alden's denied talking to anybody from the SEC.

User avatar
JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 9248
Joined: September 8 09, 10:56 pm
Location: South County, St. Louis

Re: Big12 Breaking Up?

Post by JoeMcKim »

I would think that the next team going to the SEC would have to be an eastern team to keep the divisions equal, unless they're going to 16 total teams. Then they would need 2 eastern teams and 1 more western team.

User avatar
ThatGuy
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 5114
Joined: October 15 06, 4:40 pm
Location: Knoxville, TN

Re: Big12 Breaking Up?

Post by ThatGuy »

Wow. I'll be shocked if Mizzou ends up in the SEC.

User avatar
slide_into_first
is unaware that dangerous is the real Tyler Durden
Posts: 14433
Joined: June 10 09, 11:31 pm
Location: In Chula Vista hanging with the Surenos

Re: Big12 Breaking Up?

Post by slide_into_first »

How viable an option for the Big12 would be adding any of Houston, Rice, SMU, UTEP or Tulsa?

User avatar
cardsfansince82
is shooing asian children away from his fridge.
Posts: 27776
Joined: May 17 06, 10:23 pm
Location: at the gettin' place

Re: Big12 Breaking Up?

Post by cardsfansince82 »

slide_into_first wrote:How viable an option for the Big12 would be adding any of Houston, Rice, SMU, UTEP or Tulsa?
I think only Houston from that list would have much of a chance, maybe SMU. Rice and Tulsa are way too small.

Post Reply