Michael Sam - NFL's first openly gay prospect

A forum for non-baseball sports
Post Reply
User avatar
thrill
bronoun enthusiast
Posts: 30539
Joined: April 14 06, 10:45 pm
Location: barely online

Re: Michael Sam - NFL's first openly gay prospect

Post by thrill »

stlouie_lipp wrote:
Michael wrote:
trill wrote:
KyCardinalFan wrote:I addressed that in my first post in this thread. And Ira Kaufman, the Tampa Tribune reporter, said essentially the same thing on the Dan Patrick show that a talented player is worth the distraction, a marginal player is not. Sam is a marginal player.
Tim Tebow.
haha
Tebow was the 25th overall pick in the draft...hardly marginal compared to someone who was projected as a 3rd-4th round pick, then slid down to the 7th round based on poor performances at the combine and his pro day. There is a difference there, you know.
Tebow was projected as a mid-round draft pick by literally everyone I read except Josh McDaniel and Tony Dungy.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress
Posts: 26073
Joined: September 4 07, 1:48 pm
Location: St. Louis

Re: Michael Sam - NFL's first openly gay prospect

Post by Freed Roger »

jim wrote: Knowing what I know about locker rooms,
erg -visions of jim and M1Ironmike snapping towels at each other ...

User avatar
thrill
bronoun enthusiast
Posts: 30539
Joined: April 14 06, 10:45 pm
Location: barely online

Re: Michael Sam - NFL's first openly gay prospect

Post by thrill »

Freed Roger wrote:
jim wrote: Knowing what I know about locker rooms,
erg -visions of jim and M1Ironmike snapping towels at each other ...
Now I'm distracted.

jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you
Posts: 50393
Joined: May 1 06, 2:41 pm

Re: Michael Sam - NFL's first openly gay prospect

Post by jim »

Freed Roger wrote:Handy draft grading baggage reference chart
Image
Alot of truth to that.

User avatar
go birds
-go birds
Posts: 32057
Joined: February 5 10, 9:54 am

Re: Michael Sam - NFL's first openly gay prospect

Post by go birds »

lol why the hell is tennessee getting singled out??????????????

User avatar
stlouie_lipp
Hallelujah Brother
Posts: 13380
Joined: April 17 06, 7:36 pm

Re: Michael Sam - NFL's first openly gay prospect

Post by stlouie_lipp »

trill wrote:
stlouie_lipp wrote:
Michael wrote:
trill wrote:
KyCardinalFan wrote:I addressed that in my first post in this thread. And Ira Kaufman, the Tampa Tribune reporter, said essentially the same thing on the Dan Patrick show that a talented player is worth the distraction, a marginal player is not. Sam is a marginal player.
Tim Tebow.
haha
Tebow was the 25th overall pick in the draft...hardly marginal compared to someone who was projected as a 3rd-4th round pick, then slid down to the 7th round based on poor performances at the combine and his pro day. There is a difference there, you know.
Tebow was projected as a mid-round draft pick by literally everyone I read except Josh McDaniel and Tony Dungy.
Sure, but there was no doubt he was going to be drafted, and drafted fairly high (by the 3rd round).

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress
Posts: 26073
Joined: September 4 07, 1:48 pm
Location: St. Louis

Re: Michael Sam - NFL's first openly gay prospect

Post by Freed Roger »

go birds wrote:lol why the hell is tennessee getting singled out??????????????
Maybe that is basketball too..i can't recall,.don't they have a long rap sheet? You know, nothing as distracting as having the 1st openly gay trying out for your team, but some history.

Socnorb11
The Last Word
Posts: 21906
Joined: June 21 06, 8:45 am

Re: Michael Sam - NFL's first openly gay prospect

Post by Socnorb11 »

trill wrote:
stlouie_lipp wrote:
Michael wrote:
trill wrote:
KyCardinalFan wrote:I addressed that in my first post in this thread. And Ira Kaufman, the Tampa Tribune reporter, said essentially the same thing on the Dan Patrick show that a talented player is worth the distraction, a marginal player is not. Sam is a marginal player.
Tim Tebow.
haha
Tebow was the 25th overall pick in the draft...hardly marginal compared to someone who was projected as a 3rd-4th round pick, then slid down to the 7th round based on poor performances at the combine and his pro day. There is a difference there, you know.
Tebow was projected as a mid-round draft pick by literally everyone I read except Josh McDaniel and Tony Dungy.

You keep saying that Dungy had him as a 1st rounder, but I don't recall that.

Why do you think Tebow went in the 1st round, and Michael Sam when in the 7th? Serious question.

Jocephus
99% conan clips
Posts: 64992
Joined: April 18 06, 5:14 pm

Re: Michael Sam - NFL's first openly gay prospect

Post by Jocephus »

this is still going on? i logically pegged him as a homophobe.

this is over.

User avatar
thrill
bronoun enthusiast
Posts: 30539
Joined: April 14 06, 10:45 pm
Location: barely online

Re: Michael Sam - NFL's first openly gay prospect

Post by thrill »

Socnorb11 wrote:
trill wrote:
stlouie_lipp wrote:
Michael wrote:
trill wrote:
KyCardinalFan wrote:I addressed that in my first post in this thread. And Ira Kaufman, the Tampa Tribune reporter, said essentially the same thing on the Dan Patrick show that a talented player is worth the distraction, a marginal player is not. Sam is a marginal player.
Tim Tebow.
haha
Tebow was the 25th overall pick in the draft...hardly marginal compared to someone who was projected as a 3rd-4th round pick, then slid down to the 7th round based on poor performances at the combine and his pro day. There is a difference there, you know.
Tebow was projected as a mid-round draft pick by literally everyone I read except Josh McDaniel and Tony Dungy.

You keep saying that Dungy had him as a 1st rounder, but I don't recall that.

Why do you think Tebow went in the 1st round, and Michael Sam when in the 7th? Serious question.
I think Josh McDaniels thought he was a football genius who could create a crazy offense with Tebow's skill set and let his hubris and Tebow's charisma and college stats blind him to his obvious physical (throwing) limitations at the NFL level. I think Sam fell to the 7th because he's a hybrid/rush linebacker with slow hips and questionable agility and speed, which are the specific skill sets required at that position on an NFL level. I think it was an appropriate round to pick him in. Anywhere from the 5th and up would have been acceptable based on what he put on tape at SEC game speed.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... arterback/
“As a coach, I always like winners,” Dungy said. “Tim Tebow doesn’t have the classic throwing motion, he doesn’t have the accuracy, maybe, right now that some people are looking for, but I think when he gets into a pro system that really stresses throwing the ball accurately, the big thing is he makes the people around him better. And he’s won. … I think he’s going to be a great player in the NFL.”

Dungy said that if he were running a team with a Top 10 pick, he’d take Tebow. Patrick then asked Dungy who he’d pick for his team if he could have any of the top college quarterbacks, including Washington’s Jake Locker, Notre Dame’s Jimmy Clausen, Oklahoma’s Sam Bradford and Texas’s Colt McCoy. Dungy didn’t hesitate and said, “I’m taking Tebow.
Looking at the draft class, Dungy is both wrong about Tebow's potential, but not that far off as compared to those other bums.

Post Reply