Michael Sam - NFL's first openly gay prospect

A forum for non-baseball sports
Post Reply
User avatar
KyCardinalFan
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 5520
Joined: May 31 06, 3:16 pm
Location: Western Kentucky

Re: Michael Sam - NFL's first openly gay prospect

Post by KyCardinalFan »

trill wrote:
KyCardinalFan wrote:EXACTLY!

People think Dungy said, "I wouldn't draft him because he is gay."

He said he wouldn't draft him because "I wouldn't want to deal with all of it."
The Tebow comments and Vick story indicate an inequity in who he supports and deems worthy of distraction and who he doesn't and the obvious thing that separates them is faith and sexuality.
We are inferring some, but it's plenty obvious.
I addressed that in my first post in this thread. And Ira Kaufman, the Tampa Tribune reporter, said essentially the same thing on the Dan Patrick show that a talented player is worth the distraction, a marginal player is not. Sam is a marginal player.

User avatar
cardsfansince82
is shooing asian children away from his fridge.
Posts: 27776
Joined: May 17 06, 10:23 pm
Location: at the gettin' place

Re: Michael Sam - NFL's first openly gay prospect

Post by cardsfansince82 »

Rams head coach Jeff Fisher also addressed Dungy's comments during an appearance on ESPN's "Mike & Mike" radio show on Wednesday. He stated that Sam was "absolutely not" a distraction for his football team.

"Let's define distraction," Fisher added, via ESPN.com. "There were a couple extra cameras during the early OTAs, there may have been an extra camera yesterday as the rookies reported and went on the field for the first time, but no, it's not."

User avatar
KyCardinalFan
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 5520
Joined: May 31 06, 3:16 pm
Location: Western Kentucky

Re: Michael Sam - NFL's first openly gay prospect

Post by KyCardinalFan »

lukethedrifter wrote:
KyCardinalFan wrote:
EXACTLY!

People think Dungy said, "I wouldn't draft him because he is gay."

He said he wouldn't draft him because "I wouldn't want to deal with all of it."
not really exactly. to reiterate, he has gone out on a limb for guys who would be major nongay distractions in the past.

And we understand what he said. We disagree about why he said it and what it means when you try to look at the context.
Some are going to read this as sarcasm, but it's not. Thank you for defining this, because honestly, it's hard to understand some peoples' point.

I am not going to mind-read. I am only reading and sharing statements from the persons involved on THIS topic. I am not bringing in opinion pieces from other writers who have agendas.

I believe Tony Dungy that he was answering the question from a football perspective. The writer of the article thinks that Tony Dungy was answering from a football perspective. The only two people in the conversation think he was making the comment because he didn't think the risk outweighed the reward.

The rest, to me, is opinion and personal agenda driven.

User avatar
thrill
bronoun enthusiast
Posts: 30539
Joined: April 14 06, 10:45 pm
Location: barely online

Re: Michael Sam - NFL's first openly gay prospect

Post by thrill »

KyCardinalFan wrote:I addressed that in my first post in this thread. And Ira Kaufman, the Tampa Tribune reporter, said essentially the same thing on the Dan Patrick show that a talented player is worth the distraction, a marginal player is not. Sam is a marginal player.
Tim Tebow.

User avatar
lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite
Posts: 37260
Joined: October 17 06, 11:19 am
Location: Huis Clos

Re: Michael Sam - NFL's first openly gay prospect

Post by lukethedrifter »

KyCardinalFan wrote:
lukethedrifter wrote:
KyCardinalFan wrote:
EXACTLY!

People think Dungy said, "I wouldn't draft him because he is gay."

He said he wouldn't draft him because "I wouldn't want to deal with all of it."
not really exactly. to reiterate, he has gone out on a limb for guys who would be major nongay distractions in the past.

And we understand what he said. We disagree about why he said it and what it means when you try to look at the context.
Some are going to read this as sarcasm, but it's not. Thank you for defining this, because honestly, it's hard to understand some peoples' point.

I am not going to mind-read. I am only reading and sharing statements from the persons involved on THIS topic. I am not bringing in opinion pieces from other writers who have agendas.

I believe Tony Dungy that he was answering the question from a football perspective. The writer of the article thinks that Tony Dungy was answering from a football perspective. The only two people in the conversation think he was making the comment because he didn't think the risk outweighed the reward.

The rest, to me, is opinion and personal agenda driven.
That's fair but be certain that your view is opinion as well and as such driven by your own agenda.

User avatar
stlouie_lipp
Hallelujah Brother
Posts: 13380
Joined: April 17 06, 7:36 pm

Re: Michael Sam - NFL's first openly gay prospect

Post by stlouie_lipp »

Jocephus wrote:ray rice beats his wife, on camera, gets a 2 game suspension. but luckily, according to coach, its not a big deal
Speaking about Rice's punishment after the team's first full-quad workout of training camp Thursday in Owings Mills, Maryland, Ravens coach John Harbaugh said: "It's not a big deal. It's just part of the process. We said from the beginning that the circumstances would determine the consequences. There are consequences when you make a mistake like that. I stand behind Ray. He's a heck of a guy. He's done everything right since. He makes a mistake. He's going to have to pay a consequence."
however, the possibility of a gay player making the team (or being cut) is too much of a distraction.

i realize RR, on the field, has proven a lot and sam hasn't (at least in the NFL) but don't give me this distraction malarkey.
And John Harbaugh is being roundly criticized for saying this. But I don't see what one has to do with the other? Harbaugh didn't say anything about Sam or a distraction.

User avatar
haltz
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 22630
Joined: November 9 06, 6:45 am
Location: a proud midwestern metropolis

Re: Michael Sam - NFL's first openly gay prospect

Post by haltz »

The correct view is that even if it were a distraction it's morally right to deal with it.

User avatar
stlouie_lipp
Hallelujah Brother
Posts: 13380
Joined: April 17 06, 7:36 pm

Re: Michael Sam - NFL's first openly gay prospect

Post by stlouie_lipp »

haltz wrote:The correct view is that even if it were a distraction it's morally right to deal with it.
Best post in the thread. (assuming you, as a coach/GM, think his talent merits a draft pick)

Michael
GRB Founder
Posts: 35303
Joined: December 31 69, 6:00 pm
Location: Chicago, IL
Contact:

Re: Michael Sam - NFL's first openly gay prospect

Post by Michael »

trill wrote:
KyCardinalFan wrote:I addressed that in my first post in this thread. And Ira Kaufman, the Tampa Tribune reporter, said essentially the same thing on the Dan Patrick show that a talented player is worth the distraction, a marginal player is not. Sam is a marginal player.
Tim Tebow.
haha

haltz wrote:The correct view is that even if it were a distraction it's morally right to deal with it.
And there it is.

Jackie Robinson, etc

User avatar
stlouie_lipp
Hallelujah Brother
Posts: 13380
Joined: April 17 06, 7:36 pm

Re: Michael Sam - NFL's first openly gay prospect

Post by stlouie_lipp »

lukethedrifter wrote:
stlouie_lipp wrote:
cardsfansince82 wrote:
stlouie_lipp wrote:
cardsfansince82 wrote:Tony Dungy says it is the coach's job to put the best team on the field possible. Tony Dungy says Michael Sam is a good football player. Tony Dungy says a gay player would not be ostracized by teammates. Tony Dungy claims to be welcoming of people of all backgrounds. Tony Dungy says he would not draft Michael Sam.
...because it would be a distraction. Criticize him all you want because it is deserved, but at least don't lose sight of what he actually said.
Define distractions.
I didn't say it, so I can't define it. I'm just pointing out the conversation in this thread seems to have evolved to the point of "Tony Dungy said he wouldn't draft a gay football player" and that's not what he said. Would he draft a gay player? Probably not and that is likely because of his beliefs/bigotry. In my mind it's more likely that he meant he wouldn't like the media surrounding his team during camp asking the same questions over and over.
Sounds great until you remember Tim Tebow and Mike Vick.
That's true, and I pointed out the Tebow "#1 overall" hypocrisy earlier. If he wrote an essay on why he wouldn't draft Sam and carefully thought out his comments beforehand I'd be all for torching the guy. I'm just saying the guy was asked a question and he gave an answer, i.e. he thought having Sam on the team would be a distraction. Everything else is inference and shaped by agenda/opinion as KyCardFan pointed out.

To be clear, I don't agree with Dungy or in any way support his beliefs on homosexuality. I am all for equality and am by no means an Evangelical Christian (or even very religious at all). I just think he is getting somewhat unfairly criticized by people who took what he said and twisted it into something he didn't.

Post Reply