Obama/Biden vs. McCain/Palin

Classic threads for your viewing pleasure.
Locked
User avatar
heyzeus
Everday Unicorn
Posts: 43288
Joined: April 21 06, 10:14 am
Location: Austin, TX

Re: Obama/Biden vs. McCain/Palin: The Thread

Post by heyzeus »

Socnorb11 wrote:
heyzeus wrote:I'm glad OBama went on O'Reilly, if nothing else, so that Bill has to stop proudly claiming "We've invited Senator Obama to be on our show, but he refuses to come" every day. I'd like to watch that. I think all politicians should be subject to hard questions from the opposing viewpoint.

Really though, is there anyone as clearly left as O'Reilly is right, that would be willing to fire some tough questions at McCain? Or maybe that's already happened and I'm just not paying attention.
Olberman.

User avatar
wart57
just can't quit you.
Posts: 25075
Joined: April 18 06, 4:33 pm
Location: Lost

Re: Obama/Biden vs. McCain/Palin: The Thread

Post by wart57 »

Richie Allen wrote:
BW23 wrote:It will go on and on forever. The only people taking him at his word are those who will defend him on just about everything.
I support Obama and I think he was referring to Palin. And I'm glad he said it. At what point was there an agreement between Obama and Palin that they were to play nice? I certainly think it's a lot more reasonable to poke fun of a candidate that continually refers to herself as a Hockey Mom and compares herself to a pit bull than it is to come onto the national stage of the Republican Convention (as a a complete unknown) and mock someone else's community organizing as being relevant experience. If you don't see the distinction and and recognize the more inflammatory of the two, not to mention which happened first, then there's no need to discuss it further.
I think the claims that Palin's experience as a small town mayor was irrelevant came first.
I also think the entire GOP convention was over the top as far as attacks go.

Socnorb11
The Last Word
Posts: 21906
Joined: June 21 06, 8:45 am

Re: Obama/Biden vs. McCain/Palin: The Thread

Post by Socnorb11 »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
docellis wrote:oh i can't stand him. not because of his views - but because of his tendency to talk over people and I can't stand it when people yell at guests or tell them to shut up.
This. I hate arrogance.
I can definitely understand that. Seems like a fair reason to not like him.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"
Posts: 27563
Joined: August 5 08, 11:24 am
Location: Thinking of the Children

Re: Obama/Biden vs. McCain/Palin: The Thread

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Socnorb11 wrote:
heyzeus wrote:I'm glad OBama went on O'Reilly, if nothing else, so that Bill has to stop proudly claiming "We've invited Senator Obama to be on our show, but he refuses to come" every day. I'd like to watch that. I think all politicians should be subject to hard questions from the opposing viewpoint.

Really though, is there anyone as clearly left as O'Reilly is right, that would be willing to fire some tough questions at McCain? Or maybe that's already happened and I'm just not paying attention.

Keith Olberman. :P

User avatar
JL21
NPR & THT Contributor
Posts: 36109
Joined: April 18 06, 7:44 am
Location: Chocolate City

Re: Obama/Biden vs. McCain/Palin: The Thread

Post by JL21 »

wart57 wrote:I think the claims that Palin's experience as a small town mayor was irrelevant came first.
Who was making these claims?

Spider John
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 10952
Joined: May 18 06, 10:09 pm
Location: East of the middle of West Tennessee

Re: Obama/Biden vs. McCain/Palin: The Thread

Post by Spider John »

Socnorb11 wrote:
Spider John wrote:It showed poor judgment by Obama to use the line, whether it was meant as a jab at Palin or not. It left him open for the negative uproar it is causing.

It may be ridiculous to base your vote on this one thing, but there are some who will vote for McCain because of this, just as some will vote for McCain just because he has chosen a woman for his VP, or Obama because he is black. Many of the votes cast in elections have little to do with the issues.
The difference is that Obama is very clearly black. Palin is very clearly a woman. The "pig" comment is simply one person's interpretation versus another person's.
I agree, but I am talking about the reality of how some people decide to vote.

User avatar
Richie Allen
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 7458
Joined: December 22 06, 1:06 am

Re: Obama/Biden vs. McCain/Palin: The Thread

Post by Richie Allen »

wart57 wrote:I think the claims that Palin's experience as a small town mayor was irrelevant came first.
From who?

Socnorb11
The Last Word
Posts: 21906
Joined: June 21 06, 8:45 am

Re: Obama/Biden vs. McCain/Palin: The Thread

Post by Socnorb11 »

wart57 wrote:
Richie Allen wrote:
BW23 wrote:It will go on and on forever. The only people taking him at his word are those who will defend him on just about everything.
I support Obama and I think he was referring to Palin. And I'm glad he said it. At what point was there an agreement between Obama and Palin that they were to play nice? I certainly think it's a lot more reasonable to poke fun of a candidate that continually refers to herself as a Hockey Mom and compares herself to a pit bull than it is to come onto the national stage of the Republican Convention (as a a complete unknown) and mock someone else's community organizing as being relevant experience. If you don't see the distinction and and recognize the more inflammatory of the two, not to mention which happened first, then there's no need to discuss it further.
I think the claims that Palin's experience as a small town mayor was irrelevant came first.
I also think the entire GOP convention was over the top as far as attacks go.
Feel free to provide me the link and prove me wrong, but I don't "think" that Obama specifically said that her experience was irrelevant. And I can assure you that he didn't mock her about it and laugh the way the Republicans mocked him.

User avatar
wart57
just can't quit you.
Posts: 25075
Joined: April 18 06, 4:33 pm
Location: Lost

Re: Obama/Biden vs. McCain/Palin: The Thread

Post by wart57 »

Richie Allen wrote:
wart57 wrote:I think the claims that Palin's experience as a small town mayor was irrelevant came first.
From who?
They were all over the media and this board as well as countless bloggers all over the country.

User avatar
wart57
just can't quit you.
Posts: 25075
Joined: April 18 06, 4:33 pm
Location: Lost

Re: Obama/Biden vs. McCain/Palin: The Thread

Post by wart57 »

Socnorb11 wrote:
wart57 wrote:
Richie Allen wrote:
BW23 wrote:It will go on and on forever. The only people taking him at his word are those who will defend him on just about everything.
I support Obama and I think he was referring to Palin. And I'm glad he said it. At what point was there an agreement between Obama and Palin that they were to play nice? I certainly think it's a lot more reasonable to poke fun of a candidate that continually refers to herself as a Hockey Mom and compares herself to a pit bull than it is to come onto the national stage of the Republican Convention (as a a complete unknown) and mock someone else's community organizing as being relevant experience. If you don't see the distinction and and recognize the more inflammatory of the two, not to mention which happened first, then there's no need to discuss it further.
I think the claims that Palin's experience as a small town mayor was irrelevant came first.
I also think the entire GOP convention was over the top as far as attacks go.
Feel free to provide me the link and prove me wrong, but I don't "think" that Obama specifically said that her experience was irrelevant. And I can assure you that he didn't mock her about it and laugh the way the Republicans mocked him.
I don't think people are reading very well any more. I never said Obama made these claims. I said the attacks were over the top.

Locked