What happened to the days when everybody knew the safe zone was that place with the worm at the bottom of the bottle?GeddyWrox wrote:Let me put it this way...
If gay or trans person takes a sociology or psychology class that clearly states they are going to dive into LGBTQ issues, they should be prepared to participate in class -- even if Donald Trump Jr is in that class claiming something horrible like "the queers should all be given the Matthew Sheppard treatment". Horrible? Yes. Triggering? Yes. But it's a possibility that someone in that class might feel that way. They shouldn't get to preemptively duck out of the class on the chance that someone might say something like that.
HOWEVER. If someone DOES say something like that, and it upsets that person, they should have a safe zone they can go to where they know there won't be judgement, resentment, hatred. They should have a place they can go to recenter themselves. If a university is willing to provide that space, why should they have it taken away??? It just seems mean spirited.
Rave: University of Chicago
- Joe Shlabotnik
- Hall Of Famer
- Posts: 24268
- Joined: October 12 06, 2:21 pm
- Location: Baseball Ref Bullpen
- Contact:
Re: Rave: University of Chicago
- GeddyWrox
- Caught you a delicious bass
- Posts: 14665
- Joined: April 20 06, 8:43 pm
- Location: Please use blue font for the sarcasm impaired.
Re: Rave: University of Chicago
Maybe more empathy as a species is a GOOD thing???Joe Shlabotnik wrote:What happened to the days when everybody knew the safe zone was that place with the worm at the bottom of the bottle?GeddyWrox wrote:Let me put it this way...
If gay or trans person takes a sociology or psychology class that clearly states they are going to dive into LGBTQ issues, they should be prepared to participate in class -- even if Donald Trump Jr is in that class claiming something horrible like "the queers should all be given the Matthew Sheppard treatment". Horrible? Yes. Triggering? Yes. But it's a possibility that someone in that class might feel that way. They shouldn't get to preemptively duck out of the class on the chance that someone might say something like that.
HOWEVER. If someone DOES say something like that, and it upsets that person, they should have a safe zone they can go to where they know there won't be judgement, resentment, hatred. They should have a place they can go to recenter themselves. If a university is willing to provide that space, why should they have it taken away??? It just seems mean spirited.
- GeddyWrox
- Caught you a delicious bass
- Posts: 14665
- Joined: April 20 06, 8:43 pm
- Location: Please use blue font for the sarcasm impaired.
Re: Rave: University of Chicago
Look, I know several people who have struggled -- and will continue to struggle the rest of their lives -- with gender and sexual identity. The older ones certainly would have benefitted from something like this back in the day. The younger ones who are in college now, are doing much better emotionally than some of their predecessors -- largely because of improved awareness and more people being more affirming in their actions and interactions. A safe zone is a very simple, low cost way to make life markedly better for a lot of people. Why wouldn't we do that? Just because "that's how it was when I grew up!"? [expletive] that.
- New Pagodi
- Perennial All-Star
- Posts: 4219
- Joined: April 18 06, 11:30 pm
- Location: St. Louis
- Contact:
- wart57
- just can't quit you.
- Posts: 25075
- Joined: April 18 06, 4:33 pm
- Location: Lost
Re: Rave: University of Chicago
When I was a kid, we alawys said "Sticks and stones can break my bones, but words will never hurt me."
I was in my 4th grade daughters classroom the other day, and there were several signs and artwork that talked about not being able to erase words you have said to other people, and words holding power.
It is still surprising to me how much things have changed in the 30+ years since I was in grade school. I am not saying we don't need to teach kids that their words can hurt people, I think that is very important to teach kids not to say hurtful things and not to bully others. But what happened to teaching kids that just because someone said something to or about you, it doesn't make what that person said true? That the only power those words have over you, are the ones you give them.
My girls were arguing the other night, and Smelly called Poopy stupid. I stopped them in the middle of the argument, I told Smelly that calling people stupid was never acceptable (unless you were talking about Cubs or Blackhawk fans,) then I told Poopy that just because her sister said she was stupid, it didn't mean she was stupid.
We need to do everything we can to stop hateful speech, but we also need to teach that hateful speech can only hurt you if you let it.
I was in my 4th grade daughters classroom the other day, and there were several signs and artwork that talked about not being able to erase words you have said to other people, and words holding power.
It is still surprising to me how much things have changed in the 30+ years since I was in grade school. I am not saying we don't need to teach kids that their words can hurt people, I think that is very important to teach kids not to say hurtful things and not to bully others. But what happened to teaching kids that just because someone said something to or about you, it doesn't make what that person said true? That the only power those words have over you, are the ones you give them.
My girls were arguing the other night, and Smelly called Poopy stupid. I stopped them in the middle of the argument, I told Smelly that calling people stupid was never acceptable (unless you were talking about Cubs or Blackhawk fans,) then I told Poopy that just because her sister said she was stupid, it didn't mean she was stupid.
We need to do everything we can to stop hateful speech, but we also need to teach that hateful speech can only hurt you if you let it.
- Tim
- Consider him admonished
- Posts: 8320
- Joined: March 25 15, 9:59 am
- Location: The South
Re: Rave: University of Chicago
Really? I mean, the joke is in poor taste, ugly, hurtful, and nothing that I would condone, but what would you have a campus administrator do about it?33anda3rd wrote:If one is a victim of rape and hears a rape joke on the quad, then the joker is an ass and should be awarded a bloody nose while being reported to the campus administration for his ugly and hurtful speech.
- 33anda3rd
- Replies Authoritatively
- Posts: 8390
- Joined: April 7 13, 9:45 am
- Location: Chicago, IL
Re: Rave: University of Chicago
Explain to the turd that telling jokes about women being violently sexually assaulted is in poor taste and that it not only offends women and victims of rape but also all people with taste and dignity and self-respect.Tim wrote:Really? I mean, the joke is in poor taste, ugly, hurtful, and nothing that I would condone, but what would you have a campus administrator do about it?33anda3rd wrote:If one is a victim of rape and hears a rape joke on the quad, then the joker is an ass and should be awarded a bloody nose while being reported to the campus administration for his ugly and hurtful speech.
Explain to the turd that as an administrator it's my job to provide a nice environment for learning and growth. And that I'm not doing my job if my campus is molding young minds to think that rape is something to laugh and joke about. And that I'm not doing my job if my campus is a place where female students hear male students say out loud that women being attacked sexually is a laughing matter. I'd explain that these are not matters of political differences in opinion but that demonstrably rape is incredibly wrong and therefore making these jokes aloud in public is unacceptable.
Then I'd probably send a letter to the parents and let them know that if any such behavior occurred again that Jr. would be asked to leave campus because his language was demonstrating to the campus that violent sexual acts are funny, and I don't condone it as Dean or whatever.
Voila. I don't need to let the students self-govern with safe spaces, I just need to hold turds accountable.
Last edited by 33anda3rd on August 26 16, 1:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
- 33anda3rd
- Replies Authoritatively
- Posts: 8390
- Joined: April 7 13, 9:45 am
- Location: Chicago, IL
Re: Rave: University of Chicago
Why can't their dorm room be a safe space? Why can't a meeting of the campus LGBTQ group be a safe space? Why can't the campus bar where all the hipster artsy kids hang out, or the campus gay bar be a safe space? Those safe spaces exist. My problem is with when students want to use their safe spaces as a way of claiming public space as a place where no one but them and their ideas can be heard. That is quite dangerous in my opinion, in the kind of adults it breeds and the kind of message it sends to these kids.GeddyWrox wrote:Let me put it this way...
If gay or trans person takes a sociology or psychology class that clearly states they are going to dive into LGBTQ issues, they should be prepared to participate in class -- even if Donald Trump Jr is in that class claiming something horrible like "the queers should all be given the Matthew Sheppard treatment". Horrible? Yes. Triggering? Yes. But it's a possibility that someone in that class might feel that way. They shouldn't get to preemptively duck out of the class on the chance that someone might say something like that.
HOWEVER. If someone DOES say something like that, and it upsets that person, they should have a safe zone they can go to where they know there won't be judgement, resentment, hatred. They should have a place they can go to recenter themselves. If a university is willing to provide that space, why should they have it taken away??? It just seems mean spirited.
- Tim
- Consider him admonished
- Posts: 8320
- Joined: March 25 15, 9:59 am
- Location: The South
Re: Rave: University of Chicago
Gotcha. I am assuming that you are joking when you mentioned physical violence.33anda3rd wrote:Explain to the turd that telling jokes about women being violently sexually assaulted is in poor taste and that it not only offends women and victims of rape but also all people with taste and dignity and self-respect.Tim wrote:Really? I mean, the joke is in poor taste, ugly, hurtful, and nothing that I would condone, but what would you have a campus administrator do about it?33anda3rd wrote:If one is a victim of rape and hears a rape joke on the quad, then the joker is an ass and should be awarded a bloody nose while being reported to the campus administration for his ugly and hurtful speech.
- wart57
- just can't quit you.
- Posts: 25075
- Joined: April 18 06, 4:33 pm
- Location: Lost
Re: Rave: University of Chicago
I think a dude who thinks rape is a funny thing should have his ass kicked.Tim wrote:Gotcha. I am assuming that you are joking when you mentioned physical violence.33anda3rd wrote:Explain to the turd that telling jokes about women being violently sexually assaulted is in poor taste and that it not only offends women and victims of rape but also all people with taste and dignity and self-respect.Tim wrote:Really? I mean, the joke is in poor taste, ugly, hurtful, and nothing that I would condone, but what would you have a campus administrator do about it?33anda3rd wrote:If one is a victim of rape and hears a rape joke on the quad, then the joker is an ass and should be awarded a bloody nose while being reported to the campus administration for his ugly and hurtful speech.




