Cell Phone Help
- mikechamp
- Hall Of Famer
- Posts: 11713
- Joined: April 17 06, 5:05 pm
- Location: Southwestern Illinois
Re: Cell Phone Help
I am back again, seeking the help of my fellow board members.
I've finally gotten to the point where I probably need to break down and get a new phone. I was looking at this link and wanted to ask the cell-phone knowledgeable people: Is there a big difference between the Samsung Galaxy S20 and the S20+ models? Yes, I see that the S20 has a smaller internal memory and not as nice a camera. Because of the micro-SD card capability and my propensity to not take many photos with my phone, those aren't a very big deal to me.
But does anyone own a S20 or S20+ that could speak to their experience?
I've finally gotten to the point where I probably need to break down and get a new phone. I was looking at this link and wanted to ask the cell-phone knowledgeable people: Is there a big difference between the Samsung Galaxy S20 and the S20+ models? Yes, I see that the S20 has a smaller internal memory and not as nice a camera. Because of the micro-SD card capability and my propensity to not take many photos with my phone, those aren't a very big deal to me.
But does anyone own a S20 or S20+ that could speak to their experience?
- CardsofSTL
- All Hail the GDT Master
- Posts: 69837
- Joined: April 26 11, 6:06 am
- Location: Columbus, OH
Re: Cell Phone Help
For my work we use either the Samsung or the iPhone; and I am an Apple hater so I always get one of the Samsung phones. If you're going from a 4 to a 20 you will be amazed no matter which version you get. I like the Ultra for the larger display and battery and great video quality; but if you don't care about that kind of thing there would be no reason to spend the extra money. All of the 20 models are larger than the previous versions as I recall; so it will be a bigger phone than you are used to.
- mikechamp
- Hall Of Famer
- Posts: 11713
- Joined: April 17 06, 5:05 pm
- Location: Southwestern Illinois
Re: Cell Phone Help
Yeah, I know I need to just accept that it will be gigantic in comparison. I'm just hoping it will still fit in my pants pocket.
Do you have a S20?
Do you have a S20?
- TheoSqua
- Next Gen Wart
- Posts: 8950
- Joined: April 22 06, 6:53 pm
- Location: St. Louis
- Contact:
Re: Cell Phone Help
I didn't end up getting a Galaxy but I was researching the S20 when it game out. The biggest difference between the S20 and S20 plus is Screen Size, Camera Quality, and Battery Life, and memory.
The camera doesn't have their fancy depth view technology and is a lower quality camera overall. The battery is a 4,000mah vs 4,500 on the plus, and it starts with a smaller amount of memory.
In my opinion the phones are too expensive for what they're offering. $1,200 for a plus is a lot. I ended up buying an LG v60 for $800. The screen isn't as nice, it has less RAM, and it doesn't have as good of a camera. But it has better audio (and a headphone jack), expandable memory, and everything else was good enough that spending the extra $400 on the Samsung equivalent wasn't worth it to me.
The camera doesn't have their fancy depth view technology and is a lower quality camera overall. The battery is a 4,000mah vs 4,500 on the plus, and it starts with a smaller amount of memory.
In my opinion the phones are too expensive for what they're offering. $1,200 for a plus is a lot. I ended up buying an LG v60 for $800. The screen isn't as nice, it has less RAM, and it doesn't have as good of a camera. But it has better audio (and a headphone jack), expandable memory, and everything else was good enough that spending the extra $400 on the Samsung equivalent wasn't worth it to me.
- CardsofSTL
- All Hail the GDT Master
- Posts: 69837
- Joined: April 26 11, 6:06 am
- Location: Columbus, OH
Re: Cell Phone Help
I've got a S20 Ultra but it is a work phone so I don't carry it around in my pants pocket. I'd go into a Verizon or AT&T or Best Buy and just check them out; if you don't like the size of them the rep might be able to point you toward something you are more comfortable with. Maybe something like a Motorola Z4
- mikechamp
- Hall Of Famer
- Posts: 11713
- Joined: April 17 06, 5:05 pm
- Location: Southwestern Illinois
Re: Cell Phone Help
Best Buy is running a sale now, whereby the S20+ is $800 and the S20 is $750. The $50 differential isn't that big a deal when you're shelling out that much for a phone, and because you pay for it on-bill, it only comes out to about $2/month difference. What's weird is that the phones are less expensive if I take advantage of their interest-free loan. If I pay a one-time fee upfront, the total price is $100 more for the S20 and $200 more for the S20+.TheoSqua wrote: ↑June 9 20, 2:37 pmIn my opinion the phones are too expensive for what they're offering. $1,200 for a plus is a lot. I ended up buying an LG v60 for $800. The screen isn't as nice, it has less RAM, and it doesn't have as good of a camera. But it has better audio (and a headphone jack), expandable memory, and everything else was good enough that spending the extra $400 on the Samsung equivalent wasn't worth it to me.
Something you said has me curious: Do the S20 models not have a headphone jack? I've looked through the specs of the S20+ and it doesn't indicate either way.
EDIT - I just found out they don't have headphone jacks. Ugh. That is teh suck.
- mikechamp
- Hall Of Famer
- Posts: 11713
- Joined: April 17 06, 5:05 pm
- Location: Southwestern Illinois
Re: Cell Phone Help
Can you tell me about the charger? After reading about 50 reviews, there was one that mentioned it doesn't have a USB end. If that's the case, how then would one transfer files from a PC to the phone?CardsofSTL wrote: ↑June 9 20, 3:20 pmI've got a S20 Ultra but it is a work phone so I don't carry it around in my pants pocket.
Another review mentioned that the charging port is the same as the headphone port. Is that true? I thought they didn't have headphone jacks.
- CardsofSTL
- All Hail the GDT Master
- Posts: 69837
- Joined: April 26 11, 6:06 am
- Location: Columbus, OH
Re: Cell Phone Help
It's a USB-C cable. You can use earphones that plug into the USB-C port; but then you can't charge the phone while using the earphones. So that is a drawback if that is something you like to do.mikechamp wrote: ↑June 9 20, 4:44 pmCan you tell me about the charger? After reading about 50 reviews, there was one that mentioned it doesn't have a USB end. If that's the case, how then would one transfer files from a PC to the phone?CardsofSTL wrote: ↑June 9 20, 3:20 pmI've got a S20 Ultra but it is a work phone so I don't carry it around in my pants pocket.
Another review mentioned that the charging port is the same as the headphone port. Is that true? I thought they didn't have headphone jacks.
- GeddyWrox
- Caught you a delicious bass
- Posts: 14665
- Joined: April 20 06, 8:43 pm
- Location: Please use blue font for the sarcasm impaired.
Re: Cell Phone Help
My old LG G5 isn't going to hold out much longer. I finally gave in and ordered a new phone. I really liked the reviews I saw of the Google Pixel 4a 5G. $499. Plus we had a nice sized credit on our account with TMobile because my wife has a weird habit where she over pays our bills a little all the time. So it was almost half-paid for already. Should be here next week. I hope it doesn't suck. LOL.

