To me they are.StL Dan wrote:"Focused" and "trying" are not one in the same. Sure, they compliment each other extremely well, but, they are not the same.jim wrote:Semantics. If you aren't focused you aren't trying. But fine, take out my "trying" part and I still feel the same way.StL Dan wrote: Anyway, don't ever put words in my mouth. I never have and very likely never will say that a Tony LaRussa managed team "isn't trying"
Cardinals: lack of focus and/or desire?
-
jim
- Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you
- Posts: 50393
- Joined: May 1 06, 2:41 pm
-
maddash
- is eerily well-versed on Project Runway and irony
- Posts: 8508
- Joined: June 26 06, 3:07 pm
I'd have to agree with this. No disrespect to Dan, but if he went to a post Cardinal's loss press conference and asked a player "Do you think you've lost the fire/focus/intensity/whatever?" he'd probably be leaving with a bloody nose.jim wrote:Yes, a complete insult to suggest that a team is not focused when what I see is a team scratching and clawing to try to make something happen. It's an insult to their professionalism.
These guys are professionals. They know how to block outside distractions and remain focused. If they didn't they wouldn't survive at this game. Just standing up there with a bat in your hands and making contact takes an incredible amount of focus.
- StL Dan
- banned
- Posts: 8159
- Joined: June 14 06, 9:40 pm
- Location: St. Louis in spirit
That's cool.jim wrote:To me they are.StL Dan wrote:"Focused" and "trying" are not one in the same. Sure, they compliment each other extremely well, but, they are not the same.jim wrote:Semantics. If you aren't focused you aren't trying. But fine, take out my "trying" part and I still feel the same way.StL Dan wrote: Anyway, don't ever put words in my mouth. I never have and very likely never will say that a Tony LaRussa managed team "isn't trying"
- StL Dan
- banned
- Posts: 8159
- Joined: June 14 06, 9:40 pm
- Location: St. Louis in spirit
That's why I'm a fan and not a reporter. That's also why I'm asking the question here and not the lockerroom.maddash wrote:I'd have to agree with this. No disrespect to Dan, but if he went to a post Cardinal's loss press conference and asked a player "Do you think you've lost the fire/focus/intensity/whatever?" he'd probably be leaving with a bloody nose.jim wrote:Yes, a complete insult to suggest that a team is not focused when what I see is a team scratching and clawing to try to make something happen. It's an insult to their professionalism.It's all fine and good to question it on a message board, but I certainly don't think any of us would be stupid enough to question another man's intensity for his job to his face.
These guys are professionals. They know how to block outside distractions and remain focused. If they didn't they wouldn't survive at this game. Just standing up there with a bat in your hands and making contact takes an incredible amount of focus.
I would agree that it takes incredible focus to stand in there and hit a baseball at any level, much less the majors.
If there isn't any lack of focus, I'm left wondering why individuals are having poor starts this season.
Dumb luck? Facing pitchers considered well above average? Injury?
Focus?
- zambonifan
- Everyday Player
- Posts: 254
- Joined: January 7 07, 5:31 pm
- Location: Southern Wisconsin
In Dan's opinion, he doesn't see the same fire from the team as in years past. No one is asking them to win 162 games. No one is saying they can't make mistakes. Even when the team was struggling last year badly, you could still see them competing hard. So saying because they were bad last year and this year means they are trying just as hard is not an accurate arguement.
This is entirely true, about the different eyes. Right now it is like looking at the black splotch. One sees a pretty woman while the other sees something much less. Impossible to prove one correct and the other wrong. Personally, I'd like to see more intensity. I'm not saying there is lack of effort, just not alot of fire. I don't want to see a "Zambrono", but maybe just a bat broke across the knee. Wow, a thread like this after 2 weeks.......Dan's entitled to his opinion, and I'm entitled to disagree. If you don't see them competing hard this year, then you and I are watching through different eyes.
-
jim
- Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you
- Posts: 50393
- Joined: May 1 06, 2:41 pm
They can jump and holler and do an Irish and wish upon a star and it isn't going to help if you don't put the bat on the ball.zambonifan wrote:In Dan's opinion, he doesn't see the same fire from the team as in years past. No one is asking them to win 162 games. No one is saying they can't make mistakes. Even when the team was struggling last year badly, you could still see them competing hard. So saying because they were bad last year and this year means they are trying just as hard is not an accurate arguement.This is entirely true, about the different eyes. Right now it is like looking at the black splotch. One sees a pretty woman while the other sees something much less. Impossible to prove one correct and the other wrong. Personally, I'd like to see more intensity. I'm not saying there is lack of effort, just not alot of fire. I don't want to see a "Zambrono", but maybe just a bat broke across the knee. Wow, a thread like this after 2 weeks.......Dan's entitled to his opinion, and I'm entitled to disagree. If you don't see them competing hard this year, then you and I are watching through different eyes.
- haltz
- Hall Of Famer
- Posts: 22630
- Joined: November 9 06, 6:45 am
- Location: a proud midwestern metropolis
To be fair, it's only been 12 days.zambonifan wrote:Wow, a thread like this after 2 weeks.......
- Capt_Morgan
- Perennial All-Star
- Posts: 3255
- Joined: April 17 06, 5:06 pm
- Location: in the heart of cardinal nation
- Contact:
-
cardinalsx
- All-Star
- Posts: 1894
- Joined: June 15 06, 12:05 am
-
BenNX74205
- All-Star
- Posts: 2541
- Joined: April 18 06, 2:57 pm



