The Car Discussion Thread
Online
- Fat_Bulldog
- likes to grate his own cheese
- Posts: 12863
- Joined: May 9 06, 12:41 pm
- Location: Drunk
Re: The Car Discussion Thread
That is a nice looking car.
I've owned a 2004 Maxima, a 2009 Maxima and a 2004 Murano. I loved each of them but they all had transmission issues. I hope you don't have the same misfortune. That 3.5 liter V6 is fun as well.
I've owned a 2004 Maxima, a 2009 Maxima and a 2004 Murano. I loved each of them but they all had transmission issues. I hope you don't have the same misfortune. That 3.5 liter V6 is fun as well.
-
tlombard
- tl;dr
- Posts: 5042
- Joined: May 21 09, 12:41 pm
Re: The Car Discussion Thread
If I had known that on Friday, you might have had a sale to me but the four door was kind of appealing in my old age too. I've done the two door economical car (Cavalier), sportier car (Merkur XR4TI and Z28) and the SUV thing (Rodeo) plus an '82 Cutlass that I still miss. I guess it's time for a four door sedan with actual features to see how that goes. The main thing is that I wanted luxuries for a change but having nothing fancier than power windows and locks on a car previously that bar was admittedly pretty low.haltz wrote:I'm selling an Infiniti G right now. I'm going to miss it but I just need something bigger.
I've owned it from 50-100k miles and never had a single issue. I've changed the oil and the brakes and that's it. 3.7L V6 luxury sedan with the maintenance of an Altima.
I did appreciate the heated mirrors yesterday though while I was cleaning the snow off of it since I didn't have to worry about knocking them out of alignment and readjusting them after.
-
tlombard
- tl;dr
- Posts: 5042
- Joined: May 21 09, 12:41 pm
Re: The Car Discussion Thread
My dad didn't seem worried about transmission issues or anything in particular so that gives me hope at least because he wouldn't have held back if he was worried about something he sees in his shop regularly. The 7 speed automatic is smooth. I barely notice any shifts at all unless I give it a little more to pass somebody on the highway. I haven't really messed with the manual shift option yet other than just trying it out to make sure it worked.Fat_Bulldog wrote:That 3.5 liter V6 is fun as well.
But the Infiniti is fun. With driving the Rodeo for years, I'd forgotten how much fun driving can be to the point where I basically quit driving it and just took the bus and train to save money on gas when I lived up by the airport. A vehicle that gets 14mpg was an expensive choice when I had to drive 15 miles each way to and from work and gas was $3/gallon or more.
I just looked it up and the specs say that my '86 Z28 only had 190HP while this thing has 303HP and it shows. It's definitely faster, rides nicer and handles better than the Camaro. But that Camaro was still a blast when I got it in '98 with 11,020 miles on it (after my test drive, maybe a little under 11k before I got to it). Unfortunately I was not a cool enough kid to roll up to places blasting Eye of the Tiger back then.
- haltz
- Hall Of Famer
- Posts: 22630
- Joined: November 9 06, 6:45 am
- Location: a proud midwestern metropolis
Re: The Car Discussion Thread
I don't have the coupe, I have the G37x awd sedan. Mine is black on black and I blacked out the window trim to match the columns and it looks good. Kind of had a Buick vibe before. On yours the trim is less pronounced and the color scheme is more forgiving but it's something to think about. This isn't it but the one I have is identical to this onetlombard wrote:If I had known that on Friday, you might have had a sale to me but the four door was kind of appealing in my old age too. I've done the two door economical car (Cavalier), sportier car (Merkur XR4TI and Z28) and the SUV thing (Rodeo) plus an '82 Cutlass that I still miss. I guess it's time for a four door sedan with actual features to see how that goes. The main thing is that I wanted luxuries for a change but having nothing fancier than power windows and locks on a car previously that bar was admittedly pretty low.haltz wrote:I'm selling an Infiniti G right now. I'm going to miss it but I just need something bigger.
I've owned it from 50-100k miles and never had a single issue. I've changed the oil and the brakes and that's it. 3.7L V6 luxury sedan with the maintenance of an Altima.
I did appreciate the heated mirrors yesterday though while I was cleaning the snow off of it since I didn't have to worry about knocking them out of alignment and readjusting them after.
I've always liked Nissans. We bought an Armada this past summer. It's nice but it's just too big. If you see my loving partner careening around St Louis do yourself a favor and get out of the way.
I bought a cheap Tribute (Escape) to get me through the transition that I actually like a lot and should probably just drive until the wheels fall off - apparently you can buy a manual transmission for nothing these days, but I'll be looking for a long term SUV with a rear window that opens or maybe a small truck in the near future. Every time I turn around I'm buying some crown molding or lumber or flooring or something.
- IMADreamer
- Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.
- Posts: 12894
- Joined: December 6 10, 1:09 am
- Location: Illinois
Re: The Car Discussion Thread
Everyone I've ever talked to that have had Nissans/Infinitis just love them. I remember a buddy of mine had an old Infiniti q30 I think. Might have been an i30. It had like 130k miles on it when he got it. We put a stupid amount of miles on that thing being young and stupid and it never missed a beat. It says a lot about a car if it could survive our youth. lol
-
tlombard
- tl;dr
- Posts: 5042
- Joined: May 21 09, 12:41 pm
Re: The Car Discussion Thread
Yeah, that's a pretty car Haltz. I definitely would have considered it if I'd seen it up for sale!
- IMADreamer
- Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.
- Posts: 12894
- Joined: December 6 10, 1:09 am
- Location: Illinois
Re: The Car Discussion Thread
I'm always amazed at how people disregard bad weather when they are driving. The roads here are still crappy, especially the country roads. So I'm headed home on a county highway that's definitely got some snow/ice on it and I'm doing probably 40ish. This guy goes around me doing way more than that in his big 4wd bro dozer. A few miles up the road, there he is in a ditch. I stopped to see if he was ok, he was, then I just drove on. Seriously just slow down. I don't care how big your truck is, ice wins.
-
AWvsCBsteeeerike3
- "I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"
- Posts: 27563
- Joined: August 5 08, 11:24 am
- Location: Thinking of the Children
Re: The Car Discussion Thread
We had about an inch of rain the other day, Monday I guess, then it got below freezing over night. As water is wont to do when it gets below 32 degrees, the water froze. Some of it on the road where it had been trickling across. Tuesday morning, two people managed to stop on an incline on ice and couldn't go forward.
What really amazes me is that neither of them had the wherewithal to just go like 50 backwards and then forward again and drive over the ice. Instead they both sat in their cars waiting for the sun to melt the ice, I guess, or wait for a tow truck to show up. Either way, it caused about an hour delay for thousands of motorists. First world problems, I supposed. But, seriously, humanity is so [expletive]. I think we've gotten to a point where we've become such sheep, we just wait around for someone to tell us what to do.
What really amazes me is that neither of them had the wherewithal to just go like 50 backwards and then forward again and drive over the ice. Instead they both sat in their cars waiting for the sun to melt the ice, I guess, or wait for a tow truck to show up. Either way, it caused about an hour delay for thousands of motorists. First world problems, I supposed. But, seriously, humanity is so [expletive]. I think we've gotten to a point where we've become such sheep, we just wait around for someone to tell us what to do.
-
tlombard
- tl;dr
- Posts: 5042
- Joined: May 21 09, 12:41 pm
Re: The Car Discussion Thread
It would be nice if common sense were still common these days. Not backing up to get clear of the ice is baffling to me even if they just turned around after and went another direction. How is that not obvious????
-
Michael
- GRB Founder
- Posts: 35303
- Joined: December 31 69, 6:00 pm
- Location: Chicago, IL
- Contact:
Re: The Car Discussion Thread
No one spares our feelings. Not all of us are suffering from dementia.haltz wrote:Kind of had a Buick vibe before.



