The Beer Thread
- GeddyWrox
- Caught you a delicious bass
- Posts: 14665
- Joined: April 20 06, 8:43 pm
- Location: Please use blue font for the sarcasm impaired.
Re: The Beer Thread
Damn. I wish I were still traveling to Chicago for work. I would love to go drink at 33's bar. That's my kind of selection!
- themiddle54
- Perennial All-Star
- Posts: 4524
- Joined: August 24 10, 2:49 pm
Re: The Beer Thread
Lagunitas Aunt Sally tastes like someone scraped your tongue with a bag of low-grade weed then forced you to huff lemon Pledge. My low opinion of that brewery went lower with that one.
-
Freed Roger
- Seeking a Zubaz seamstress
- Posts: 26073
- Joined: September 4 07, 1:48 pm
- Location: St. Louis
Re: The Beer Thread
IT GETS A 93 OVERALL ON RATEBEER. YOU LIE!themiddle54 wrote:Lagunitas Aunt Sally tastes like someone scraped your tongue with a bag of low-grade weed then forced you to huff lemon Pledge. My low opinion of that brewery went lower with that one.
just kidding. I'm getting ever more confused by ratebeer, for example this beer you mention (I'm not likely to ever drink it FWIW) is 93 overall 59 for style.
It's definitely not a bell curve grading system
Last edited by Freed Roger on September 1 16, 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
-
Jocephus
- 99% conan clips
- Posts: 64992
- Joined: April 18 06, 5:14 pm
Re: The Beer Thread
cicholas nage
12:34
am i crazy, i thought you weren't big on lagunitas?
Eno Sarris
12:34
I get a little tired of some of their IPA line, which can be hard to distinguish from each other. But Aunt Sally, Born Yesterday, Sucks, and their flagship IPA are all p good.
- Schlich
- Don't tone police me bro!
- Posts: 10841
- Joined: July 1 06, 7:24 pm
- Location: Lost in the Cloud
Re: The Beer Thread
i love(d?) brown shuggaJocephus wrote:cicholas nage
12:34
am i crazy, i thought you weren't big on lagunitas?
Eno Sarris
12:34
I get a little tired of some of their IPA line, which can be hard to distinguish from each other. But Aunt Sally, Born Yesterday, Sucks, and their flagship IPA are all p good.
- themiddle54
- Perennial All-Star
- Posts: 4524
- Joined: August 24 10, 2:49 pm
Re: The Beer Thread
I read that as: for what it is, it stinks, but overall it's awesome.Freed Roger wrote:93 overall 59 for style
I mean..
Hirter Morchl Munich Dunkel Lager: style 97, overall 75. I get that. RateBeer guys are hop heads, for a Munich Dunkel this one is world-class, but they don't dig the style.
Schneider Weisse Tap 7 Unser Original: style 100, overall 92. Same deal.
Stiegl Parcelsus Zwickel: style 94, overall 68. Same deal.
I don't agree with that nonsense, but I get it. Those world-class beers don't resonate with the hopheads who compose the forum, but they'll give them their due for being incredible for what they are. I can't wrap my head around "93 overall 59 for style."
I don't really care for Lagunitas. They all taste the same. I also don't like the whole lawsuit against Sierra Nevada over the kerning of a font on a bottle, especially when they carry that "aw shucks we're just a bunch of humble stoners" attitude. I also don't like the "Tony Magee opened a Chicago brewery* because he has roots in Chicago" pitch. Like hell he did. He opened it to slash his distribution costs and because there's no water in California.
*Lagunitas Chicago facility is larger than every other Chicago brewery combined. Which I find makes it challenging to consider that it's their satellite location and they're calling themselves 'craft.' It's a bunch of over-hopped one-note mediocre beer to me.
- lukethedrifter
- darjeeling sipping elite
- Posts: 37260
- Joined: October 17 06, 11:19 am
- Location: Huis Clos
Re: The Beer Thread
Sounds to me like they must really love sours so even if you get an F+ as a sour you're still a straight A beer.
- GeddyWrox
- Caught you a delicious bass
- Posts: 14665
- Joined: April 20 06, 8:43 pm
- Location: Please use blue font for the sarcasm impaired.
Re: The Beer Thread
Had this last night. It was amazing.


- themiddle54
- Perennial All-Star
- Posts: 4524
- Joined: August 24 10, 2:49 pm
Re: The Beer Thread
Re the sour thing, I guess. I mean, it's taste, it's so subjective. I drink a lot of sour beer. When I took over my current role I was like "where are the sour beers?" and dedicated a couple draft lines to them immediately and started preaching the gospel. What I'm saying is: I [expletive] with sour beer. Hard. And Aunt Sally tastes like that thing where you haven't taken a shower for four days because you're sick and don't want to get off the couch and you don't change sweatpants or even your boxer briefs for those four days and your taint is like SUPER nasty? I assume that tastes like Aunt Sally.
Those RateBeer ding dongs give Bayerischer Banhof Leipziger Gose a 58 style/78 overall and I will CUT a mothergrabber for that blasphemy, next to this Aunt Sally nonsense getting rated higher. Of course if your sour is Belgian, and not German, and is hard to get, like Cantillon, then those dorks will rate it 100 because it's sooooooo hard to get oh my god I HAVE to have some it's the most best ever. And it's good. But so is Leipziger gose. What's not good is Lagunitas Aunt Sally. See above re sickly taint.
Those RateBeer ding dongs give Bayerischer Banhof Leipziger Gose a 58 style/78 overall and I will CUT a mothergrabber for that blasphemy, next to this Aunt Sally nonsense getting rated higher. Of course if your sour is Belgian, and not German, and is hard to get, like Cantillon, then those dorks will rate it 100 because it's sooooooo hard to get oh my god I HAVE to have some it's the most best ever. And it's good. But so is Leipziger gose. What's not good is Lagunitas Aunt Sally. See above re sickly taint.
- JackofDiamonds
- Bringer of Boston Baked Blue Balls
- Posts: 15010
- Joined: April 16 06, 9:15 pm
Re: The Beer Thread
Re: sours - anyone else drinking To Øl beers?
I had their "Nelson Survin" back in April and haven't been able to find it since. Sour DIPA, super delicious.
I had their "Nelson Survin" back in April and haven't been able to find it since. Sour DIPA, super delicious.




