The Beer Thread

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Post Reply
User avatar
doe_boy
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 10738
Joined: April 25 06, 9:48 am
Location: Appleton, WI

Re: The Beer Thread

Post by doe_boy »

Image

5.7 abv

On a hot summer day you drink yourself to death with this.

User avatar
Molly
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 4767
Joined: May 10 06, 9:57 am
Location: 6.6 miles from Busch III

Re: The Beer Thread

Post by Molly »

doe_boy wrote:Image

5.7 abv

On a hot summer day you drink yourself to death with this.
Love the Schlafly Raspberry Hefeweizen! :thumb:

User avatar
33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively
Posts: 8390
Joined: April 7 13, 9:45 am
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: The Beer Thread

Post by 33anda3rd »

Ommegang Rosetta has been the most "holy crap is this great" beer of the year so far among my guests. If you can get your hands on some, do it. It's year-round so if you have a store that's carrying Ommegang or other craft see if the buyer will pick some up for you.

User avatar
cardinalkarp
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 18730
Joined: May 4 06, 8:44 am

Re: The Beer Thread

Post by cardinalkarp »

33anda3rd wrote:Ommegang Rosetta has been the most "holy crap is this great" beer of the year so far among my guests. If you can get your hands on some, do it. It's year-round so if you have a store that's carrying Ommegang or other craft see if the buyer will pick some up for you.
Just ordered some to be picked up at a liquor store by my house. I'll check back in after I give it a try.

$11.99 for a 4 pack

User avatar
33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively
Posts: 8390
Joined: April 7 13, 9:45 am
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: The Beer Thread

Post by 33anda3rd »

Expensive for sure but worth it. Was not brewed at Ommegang. Their brewer went to the sister brewery, Liefman, in Belgium and brewed it there. It's the best American fruited sour beer I've had.

User avatar
cardinalkarp
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 18730
Joined: May 4 06, 8:44 am

Re: The Beer Thread

Post by cardinalkarp »

33anda3rd wrote:Expensive for sure but worth it. Was not brewed at Ommegang. Their brewer went to the sister brewery, Liefman, in Belgium and brewed it there. It's the best American fruited sour beer I've had.
Cool, it's not my typical beer...but I enjoy all kinds. Yeah, I wasn't expecting it to be cheap....and anything sold in 4 packs generally isn't.

What do you guys charge per bottle retail?

User avatar
33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively
Posts: 8390
Joined: April 7 13, 9:45 am
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: The Beer Thread

Post by 33anda3rd »

We had it on draft.
10oz for $8
Both times the keg lasted about 2 days. People crushed it.

It's an interesting one. It has a rich cherry flavor and a shot of dry tartness that balances out the cherry. It's a deep brown like an Oud Bruin (think Rodenbach or Vanderghinste if you've had those) but doesn't have the heavy lactic-acid sourness of those two. The best one-word descriptor I can give for it is "[expletive] yummy." Sorry, that was two words.

User avatar
cardinalkarp
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 18730
Joined: May 4 06, 8:44 am

Re: The Beer Thread

Post by cardinalkarp »

33anda3rd wrote:We had it on draft.
10oz for $8
Both times the keg lasted about 2 days. People crushed it.

It's an interesting one. It has a rich cherry flavor and a shot of dry tartness that balances out the cherry. It's a deep brown like an Oud Bruin (think Rodenbach or Vanderghinste if you've had those) but doesn't have the heavy lactic-acid sourness of those two. The best one-word descriptor I can give for it is "[expletive] yummy." Sorry, that was two words.
Well, 4 12 oz. bottles for $12 isn't all THAT bad then :P

User avatar
33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively
Posts: 8390
Joined: April 7 13, 9:45 am
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: The Beer Thread

Post by 33anda3rd »

The Ommegang isn't a beer I--or probably anyone--would price out on a strict "It must be X% cost" basis on draft. You balance your cost so you have leaders and losers. There are kegs that are incredibly inexpensive for what they are. Surly beers are 7 cents/oz. I can price them in a pint at a reasonable price that's a high-ish markup to drive margin, then have the Ommegang take a hit on cost and it balances out. So the $8 10oz pour is actually the lesser markup and the better 'value'. The worst value in our bar is a $3 can of PBR. It's the cheapest beer but the one on which I have the highest margin. We get it for 44 cents/can, so the bev cost is just under 15%. Our next-cheapest beer, a can of High Life, is $4 and at 15% cost.

Jocephus
99% conan clips
Posts: 64992
Joined: April 18 06, 5:14 pm

Re: The Beer Thread

Post by Jocephus »

1:20
Dave: I stopped drinking Elysian beers (they’re local to me) when they sold to Anheuser-Busch. Am I being silly?
1:20
Eno Sarris: It’s a defensible stance. I mostly avoid AIB. But I like good beer and Elysian makes some good beer still. Probably best of the set AIB bought.

Post Reply