The Car Discussion Thread

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Post Reply
tlombard
tl;dr
Posts: 5042
Joined: May 21 09, 12:41 pm

Re: The Car Discussion Thread

Post by tlombard »

I'd never looked at Bring a Trailer before just now and I should probably never go back to that site again. Look at this beauty... less than 10 miles from me. With 4 days left on the auction and it already being at 4k I doubt there is any way I could afford it in the end.

Image

User avatar
IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.
Posts: 12892
Joined: December 6 10, 1:09 am
Location: Illinois

Re: The Car Discussion Thread

Post by IMADreamer »

tlombard wrote:I'd never looked at Bring a Trailer before just now and I should probably never go back to that site again. Look at this beauty... less than 10 miles from me. With 4 days left on the auction and it already being at 4k I doubt there is any way I could afford it in the end.

Image
Bring a trailer is awesome, and so is that car. Bet it fetches a pretty penny.

User avatar
IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.
Posts: 12892
Joined: December 6 10, 1:09 am
Location: Illinois

Re: The Car Discussion Thread

Post by IMADreamer »

tlombard wrote:I've been thinking about picking up another car since I got rid of the Rodeo awhile ago. It needed exhaust, tires and just general wear and tear items but I rarely drove it anywhere so I just didn't feel it was worth putting that money into a 25 year old vehicle that gets terrible gas mileage. It also had a bit of character, meaning dents and dings from people running into it while parked. It is appropriate that the thing was black because it might as well have been a black hole. People just couldn't avoid backing into it.

Anyway, I ran across a beautiful 2006 Audi A4 Quattro 3.2. The average value for the car is about $3500 from a dealer. They are asking $4000 but I'm sure I can drive away in it for $3500 easily. I am moving some investments around so I'll have the cash on hand to buy it with plenty of safety net after registering it and all of that stuff. The car has 147k miles but so does everything that is 13 years old. And it is a six speed manual with leather, front and rear seat heaters, dual climate control and all of that stuff. The car looks immaculate. The six speed is what really does it for me.

Am I crazy for considering a 13 year old Audi? I know they are generally more expensive to repair but my dad is a mechanic and doesn't charge me labor so I have that going for me. I can also do the standard stuff on my own like brakes, oil changes and other things that don't require a lift or special tools thanks to years of hanging around my dad's shop when he owned it and helping him out so I'm not really worried about the standard maintenance being expensive. I'm just worried about the big issues that might come up.
At that many miles I'd be worried about the clutch and possibly fuel and water pump. At 3500 bucks I wouldn't worry too much. It's definitely worth a test drive.

tlombard
tl;dr
Posts: 5042
Joined: May 21 09, 12:41 pm

Re: The Car Discussion Thread

Post by tlombard »

IMADreamer wrote:
tlombard wrote:I've been thinking about picking up another car since I got rid of the Rodeo awhile ago. It needed exhaust, tires and just general wear and tear items but I rarely drove it anywhere so I just didn't feel it was worth putting that money into a 25 year old vehicle that gets terrible gas mileage. It also had a bit of character, meaning dents and dings from people running into it while parked. It is appropriate that the thing was black because it might as well have been a black hole. People just couldn't avoid backing into it.

Anyway, I ran across a beautiful 2006 Audi A4 Quattro 3.2. The average value for the car is about $3500 from a dealer. They are asking $4000 but I'm sure I can drive away in it for $3500 easily. I am moving some investments around so I'll have the cash on hand to buy it with plenty of safety net after registering it and all of that stuff. The car has 147k miles but so does everything that is 13 years old. And it is a six speed manual with leather, front and rear seat heaters, dual climate control and all of that stuff. The car looks immaculate. The six speed is what really does it for me.

Am I crazy for considering a 13 year old Audi? I know they are generally more expensive to repair but my dad is a mechanic and doesn't charge me labor so I have that going for me. I can also do the standard stuff on my own like brakes, oil changes and other things that don't require a lift or special tools thanks to years of hanging around my dad's shop when he owned it and helping him out so I'm not really worried about the standard maintenance being expensive. I'm just worried about the big issues that might come up.
At that many miles I'd be worried about the clutch and possibly fuel and water pump. At 3500 bucks I wouldn't worry too much. It's definitely worth a test drive.

That's what I figured, for the price I would still have plenty of cushion if I needed to repair anything but it doesn't matter. Somebody beat me to it. I should have gone straight there after work Friday instead of going to the Blues game.

tlombard
tl;dr
Posts: 5042
Joined: May 21 09, 12:41 pm

Re: The Car Discussion Thread

Post by tlombard »

IMADreamer wrote:
tlombard wrote:I'd never looked at Bring a Trailer before just now and I should probably never go back to that site again. Look at this beauty... less than 10 miles from me. With 4 days left on the auction and it already being at 4k I doubt there is any way I could afford it in the end.

Image
Bring a trailer is awesome, and so is that car. Bet it fetches a pretty penny.
One day left and the car is still sitting at only $5,300.

User avatar
thrill
bronoun enthusiast
Posts: 30539
Joined: April 14 06, 10:45 pm
Location: barely online

Re: The Car Discussion Thread

Post by thrill »

I used to look at bring a trailer for fun when I was broke. Now that I've got a little disposable income, it's trouble. I almost bought a vintage toyota sedan just because it looked cool. Luckily I was outbid. I only have a single stall garage. It would've been completely idiotic.

User avatar
IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.
Posts: 12892
Joined: December 6 10, 1:09 am
Location: Illinois

Re: The Car Discussion Thread

Post by IMADreamer »

tlombard wrote:
IMADreamer wrote:
tlombard wrote:I'd never looked at Bring a Trailer before just now and I should probably never go back to that site again. Look at this beauty... less than 10 miles from me. With 4 days left on the auction and it already being at 4k I doubt there is any way I could afford it in the end.

Image
Bring a trailer is awesome, and so is that car. Bet it fetches a pretty penny.
One day left and the car is still sitting at only $5,300.

Damn that's not bad. I'd think about it except I bought a [expletive] Dodge Viper today. Not even joking. My plan is to drive it for a year and a half (that gets us to summer of 2020 when prices will be higher) then see if I can sell it for slightly more money than I paid for it. If not [expletive] it I bought my dream car today. I got a bit emotional on the drive home because I really never thought it would be possible.

https://imgur.com/a/EEVsPUu

sigh, I officially have no idea how to embed photos here any more.

User avatar
a_smith
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 4561
Joined: September 20 06, 10:55 am

Re: The Car Discussion Thread

Post by a_smith »

tlombard wrote:I'd never looked at Bring a Trailer before just now and I should probably never go back to that site again. Look at this beauty... less than 10 miles from me. With 4 days left on the auction and it already being at 4k I doubt there is any way I could afford it in the end.

Image
oh man i had a 73 240z in white. God that car was fun to drive. I had one in the early 90s. I just went to a happy place seeing that image.

tlombard
tl;dr
Posts: 5042
Joined: May 21 09, 12:41 pm

Re: The Car Discussion Thread

Post by tlombard »

[SHOW]
IMADreamer wrote:
tlombard wrote:
IMADreamer wrote:
tlombard wrote:I'd never looked at Bring a Trailer before just now and I should probably never go back to that site again. Look at this beauty... less than 10 miles from me. With 4 days left on the auction and it already being at 4k I doubt there is any way I could afford it in the end.

Image
Bring a trailer is awesome, and so is that car. Bet it fetches a pretty penny.
One day left and the car is still sitting at only $5,300.

Damn that's not bad. I'd think about it except I bought a [expletive] Dodge Viper today. Not even joking. My plan is to drive it for a year and a half (that gets us to summer of 2020 when prices will be higher) then see if I can sell it for slightly more money than I paid for it. If not [expletive] it I bought my dream car today. I got a bit emotional on the drive home because I really never thought it would be possible.

https://imgur.com/a/EEVsPUu

sigh, I officially have no idea how to embed photos here any more.
Excellent pickup! I could come nowhere near affording that beauty but I'm still looking. That Z actually does have a couple of minor mechanical issues if you go reading the text between all of the pictures but it is still a beauty. The fact that the owner feels the need to put a wheel chock under the front tire just screams "issues" to me as well. The owner says it smokes heavily when started after being off for awhile and runs rich. Says the clutch cable also needs adjustment, the dome light needs replacement and they put in a new tach but it currently isn't working. It seems to me that if you put all of this other money and work into the car, why not just finish it to get top dollar if these fixes are so easy???

It's also up to $9,500 with just under 8 hours left right now.

User avatar
IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.
Posts: 12892
Joined: December 6 10, 1:09 am
Location: Illinois

Re: The Car Discussion Thread

Post by IMADreamer »

tlombard wrote:
[SHOW]
IMADreamer wrote:
tlombard wrote:
IMADreamer wrote:
tlombard wrote:I'd never looked at Bring a Trailer before just now and I should probably never go back to that site again. Look at this beauty... less than 10 miles from me. With 4 days left on the auction and it already being at 4k I doubt there is any way I could afford it in the end.

Image
Bring a trailer is awesome, and so is that car. Bet it fetches a pretty penny.
One day left and the car is still sitting at only $5,300.

Damn that's not bad. I'd think about it except I bought a [expletive] Dodge Viper today. Not even joking. My plan is to drive it for a year and a half (that gets us to summer of 2020 when prices will be higher) then see if I can sell it for slightly more money than I paid for it. If not [expletive] it I bought my dream car today. I got a bit emotional on the drive home because I really never thought it would be possible.

https://imgur.com/a/EEVsPUu

sigh, I officially have no idea how to embed photos here any more.
Excellent pickup! I could come nowhere near affording that beauty but I'm still looking. That Z actually does have a couple of minor mechanical issues if you go reading the text between all of the pictures but it is still a beauty. The fact that the owner feels the need to put a wheel chock under the front tire just screams "issues" to me as well. The owner says it smokes heavily when started after being off for awhile and runs rich. Says the clutch cable also needs adjustment, the dome light needs replacement and they put in a new tach but it currently isn't working. It seems to me that if you put all of this other money and work into the car, why not just finish it to get top dollar if these fixes are so easy???

It's also up to $9,500 with just under 8 hours left right now.

Ended up at $15,750. I'm a bit mixed on that. I agre it seems like there is something up with the car.


Day two with my Viper. There is no way I don't get a ticket in this thing. I swear to god it will not go under 35mph. It just kind of pushes forward until then. The speed limit in town here is basically 25 everywhere but the highway. I took it to the farm and there are a couple really open stretches of highway so I had some fun. It's scary when you get into big numbers. My old Vette, and my CTS-V just hunker down when you go fast. This thing gets kind of light in the steering. Then when we left dinner tonight and I wasn't thinking much of it and I pulled out on the highway pretty quickly and learned why they call it the widow maker. I didn't even go full throttle and I kicked the rear out and did an epic drift for a good 100 yards. Unintentionally mind you. I held it surprisingly and kind of scared the crap out of myself.

It's not even that it's that powerful, my CTS-V is way faster, but the Viper is so freaking raw. It's awesome.

Post Reply