Rant: Caring more about politics than baseball

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
Post Reply
User avatar
Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me
Posts: 62286
Joined: April 18 06, 5:08 pm
Location: LF Bleachers @ Busch II

Re: Rant: Caring more about politics than baseball

Post by Radbird »

GRB is my online family. We should be able to discuss anything, including politics. I stay away from all things political with most everyone I know (neighbors, coworkers, etc) so this is about the only place for me to have that dialogue.

The board does lean left but our more conservative members like Fat Strat and BW23 are valuable contributors and I appreciate their insights and viewpoints (and sometImes I agree with them). There is really no one who I completely agree with on every issue so, remember, none of you are perfect :cool:. It wouldn't be a discussion worth having (or following) if all we did was sit around in a circle and sing kumbaya.

The Scalia thread bothers me - yes, you can disagree with the man's decisions and political leanings, but let's show some respect. As someone pointed out, his body wasn't even cold before the venom erupted. As our guidelines say - attack the argument, not the person (and yes, I know I called the GOP debaters last night a bunch of babbling buffoons...)

The last thing I want as a mod is having to figure out what belongs in the politics thread vs social or rants. Too damn many grey areas.

jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you
Posts: 50393
Joined: May 1 06, 2:41 pm

Re: Rant: Caring more about politics than baseball

Post by jim »

The family is shrinking.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress
Posts: 26073
Joined: September 4 07, 1:48 pm
Location: St. Louis

Re: Rant: Caring more about politics than baseball

Post by Freed Roger »

What Rad said. Go Cards.

jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you
Posts: 50393
Joined: May 1 06, 2:41 pm

Re: Rant: Caring more about politics than baseball

Post by jim »

Radbird wrote:GRB is my online family. We should be able to discuss anything, including politics. I stay away from all things political with most everyone I know (neighbors, coworkers, etc) so this is about the only place for me to have that dialogue.

The board does lean left but our more conservative members like Fat Strat and BW23 are valuable contributors and I appreciate their insights and viewpoints (and sometImes I agree with them). There is really no one who I completely agree with on every issue so, remember, none of you are perfect :cool:. It wouldn't be a discussion worth having (or following) if all we did was sit around in a circle and sing kumbaya.

The Scalia thread bothers me - yes, you can disagree with the man's decisions and political leanings, but let's show some respect. As someone pointed out, his body wasn't even cold before the venom erupted. As our guidelines say - attack the argument, not the person (and yes, I know I called the GOP debaters last night a bunch of babbling buffoons...)

The last thing I want as a mod is having to figure out what belongs in the politics thread vs social or rants. Too damn many grey areas.
Then could I ask you all to do a better job cleaning things up? i.e. delete posts that you know are out of bounds, will incite people. You all haven't been doing that at all as far as I can tell. I"ve written stuff recently joking around that I know crossed a line that was there in the early days that apparently has moved. Maybe some of that stuff that bothers you - delete it? Because maybe it bother 90%+ of the people.

Jocephus
99% conan clips
Posts: 64992
Joined: April 18 06, 5:14 pm

Re: Rant: Caring more about politics than baseball

Post by Jocephus »

bah, this is all hogwash. crappy offseason, dead period in american sports/entertainment, and election year.

jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you
Posts: 50393
Joined: May 1 06, 2:41 pm

Re: Rant: Caring more about politics than baseball

Post by jim »

Two days in a row people im me personal contact info because they have had it. Lets go with hogwash though.

Jocephus
99% conan clips
Posts: 64992
Joined: April 18 06, 5:14 pm

Re: Rant: Caring more about politics than baseball

Post by Jocephus »

ok

User avatar
Secret Weapon
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 8386
Joined: May 12 06, 7:09 pm
Location: CoMo

Re: Rant: Caring more about politics than baseball

Post by Secret Weapon »

I think it's crazy that someone would leave a baseball forum because of a politics thread. It seems like one could just not read the politics thread and focus on the baseball part instead of leaving altogether.

jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you
Posts: 50393
Joined: May 1 06, 2:41 pm

Re: Rant: Caring more about politics than baseball

Post by jim »

It hasn't really felt like much of a baseball site to me, but again that could be just the off season perfect storm whatever. Also I missed almost all of last year, so maybe this just feels like two straight off seasons in a row for me where by chance some good GRB friends IM'ed me to say adios. Probably hogwash or maybe they are crazy.

I think politics and serious social areas being discussed on a bulletin board that was supposed to be about baseball and the Cardinals is a mistake, because it introduces alot of noise which distracts people, and it also upsets people and seems to encourage the numskulls to come out of the closet. If Michael thinks those types of discussions should be allowed, then I would suggest moderating them and being more diligent about removing offensive or inflammatory posts.

That's my take on it.

User avatar
thrill
bronoun enthusiast
Posts: 30539
Joined: April 14 06, 10:45 pm
Location: barely online

Re: Rant: Caring more about politics than baseball

Post by thrill »

Why can't people who don't want to discuss politics just not click on politics threads? Is that harder than clicking, throwing a fit because people have strong opinions that disagree with theirs and then leaving in a huff? Come on, guys.

Post Reply