Cell Phone Help
- pioneer98
- Hall Of Famer
- Posts: 22007
- Joined: July 15 08, 8:24 pm
- Location: High A Minors
Re: Cell Phone Help
I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 I got just 3 1/2 months ago. The "Up" volume button got stuck somehow in the "On" position. Well, pressing "Up" on the volume button while it is booting up put it into recovery mode. So now my phone won't even boot up because they went too cheap on a volume button. So frustrating. I'm out of town for work this week. I'm going to try to find a Verizon store tonight to see if they can work any magic on it. If not, it should still be under warranty.
- slide_into_first
- is unaware that dangerous is the real Tyler Durden
- Posts: 14433
- Joined: June 10 09, 11:31 pm
- Location: In Chula Vista hanging with the Surenos
Re: Cell Phone Help
I got this off googling Samsung galaxy stuck:
If your phone is stuck in recovery mode, you can try these steps to force it to boot to Android:
Remove the battery, wait a couple of minutes, then put the battery back in.
Turn on phone and see if it still boots into recovery mode.
If it does still boot into recovery mode, hold down "Volume Up" button and then press the Power button.
The recovery menu should appear; using the Volume buttons to move the cursor, select "Reboot system" and press the power button to select it.
If it still boots to Recovery, go into the Recovery menu again and select "Factory Reset/Wipe Data". Your phone should be reset back to factory defaults and boot properly.
If none of this works, most likely it is a hardware issue and you'll need to get the phone itself looked at by a technician.
If your phone is stuck in recovery mode, you can try these steps to force it to boot to Android:
Remove the battery, wait a couple of minutes, then put the battery back in.
Turn on phone and see if it still boots into recovery mode.
If it does still boot into recovery mode, hold down "Volume Up" button and then press the Power button.
The recovery menu should appear; using the Volume buttons to move the cursor, select "Reboot system" and press the power button to select it.
If it still boots to Recovery, go into the Recovery menu again and select "Factory Reset/Wipe Data". Your phone should be reset back to factory defaults and boot properly.
If none of this works, most likely it is a hardware issue and you'll need to get the phone itself looked at by a technician.
- mikechamp
- Hall Of Famer
- Posts: 11714
- Joined: April 17 06, 5:05 pm
- Location: Southwestern Illinois
Re: Cell Phone Help
I am not the most cell phone-savvy guy, as evidenced by me still using a Galaxy s4. However, I am hoping my fellow board members can help me out here.
I (foolishly?) downloaded the update to the ESPN app a couple weeks ago, after not doing so for a year or more. Now, I can't watch any highlights at all. Video simply will not play. (Lesson learned: If it isn't broke,...)
Does anyone know what I can do about this? Is there a place to get the old app back? Is there a video player I need to download/update? Am I just screwed now?
And yes, I realize your first answer might be: Get a new phone! But a) mine works just fine, except for this problem and b) I don't want a phone the size of a small town phonebook in my pocket. Or, I should say, not in my pocket because it won't fit.
Help me, fellow boardmates!
I (foolishly?) downloaded the update to the ESPN app a couple weeks ago, after not doing so for a year or more. Now, I can't watch any highlights at all. Video simply will not play. (Lesson learned: If it isn't broke,...)
Does anyone know what I can do about this? Is there a place to get the old app back? Is there a video player I need to download/update? Am I just screwed now?
And yes, I realize your first answer might be: Get a new phone! But a) mine works just fine, except for this problem and b) I don't want a phone the size of a small town phonebook in my pocket. Or, I should say, not in my pocket because it won't fit.
Help me, fellow boardmates!
- CardsofSTL
- All Hail the GDT Master
- Posts: 69853
- Joined: April 26 11, 6:06 am
- Location: Columbus, OH
Re: Cell Phone Help
Is it playing any video at all? Just not on the ESPN app?mikechamp wrote:I am not the most cell phone-savvy guy, as evidenced by me still using a Galaxy s4. However, I am hoping my fellow board members can help me out here.
I (foolishly?) downloaded the update to the ESPN app a couple weeks ago, after not doing so for a year or more. Now, I can't watch any highlights at all. Video simply will not play. (Lesson learned: If it isn't broke,...)
Does anyone know what I can do about this? Is there a place to get the old app back? Is there a video player I need to download/update? Am I just screwed now?
And yes, I realize your first answer might be: Get a new phone! But a) mine works just fine, except for this problem and b) I don't want a phone the size of a small town phonebook in my pocket. Or, I should say, not in my pocket because it won't fit.
Help me, fellow boardmates!
- mikechamp
- Hall Of Famer
- Posts: 11714
- Joined: April 17 06, 5:05 pm
- Location: Southwestern Illinois
Re: Cell Phone Help
Yes, it plays video, just not in the ESPN app.CardsofSTL wrote:Is it playing any video at all? Just not on the ESPN app?mikechamp wrote:I am not the most cell phone-savvy guy, as evidenced by me still using a Galaxy s4. However, I am hoping my fellow board members can help me out here.
I (foolishly?) downloaded the update to the ESPN app a couple weeks ago, after not doing so for a year or more. Now, I can't watch any highlights at all. Video simply will not play. (Lesson learned: If it isn't broke,...)
Does anyone know what I can do about this? Is there a place to get the old app back? Is there a video player I need to download/update? Am I just screwed now?
And yes, I realize your first answer might be: Get a new phone! But a) mine works just fine, except for this problem and b) I don't want a phone the size of a small town phonebook in my pocket. Or, I should say, not in my pocket because it won't fit.
Help me, fellow boardmates!
Also, I have uninstalled and re-installed the ESPN app about 3 times, to no avail.
- CardsofSTL
- All Hail the GDT Master
- Posts: 69853
- Joined: April 26 11, 6:06 am
- Location: Columbus, OH
Re: Cell Phone Help
I would check the permissions on the app manager; make sure it is enabled for cellular data and clear the cache.
You can try downloading a previous version here
https://espn.en.uptodown.com/android/old
You can try downloading a previous version here
https://espn.en.uptodown.com/android/old
- mikechamp
- Hall Of Famer
- Posts: 11714
- Joined: April 17 06, 5:05 pm
- Location: Southwestern Illinois
Re: Cell Phone Help
Did the first two already, but I will visit the link you shared and see if that helps. Thanks!CardsofSTL wrote:I would check the permissions on the app manager; make sure it is enabled for cellular data and clear the cache.
You can try downloading a previous version here
https://espn.en.uptodown.com/android/old
- mikechamp
- Hall Of Famer
- Posts: 11714
- Joined: April 17 06, 5:05 pm
- Location: Southwestern Illinois
Re: Cell Phone Help
I downloaded an older version of the app, but now I can't find it on my phone. It said I downloaded and installed it. It's in the list of apps. The problem is I don't see the thumbnail anywhere to initiate the app.CardsofSTL wrote:I would check the permissions on the app manager; make sure it is enabled for cellular data and clear the cache.
You can try downloading a previous version here
https://espn.en.uptodown.com/android/old
Where/how do I view the thumbnail?
- CardsofSTL
- All Hail the GDT Master
- Posts: 69853
- Joined: April 26 11, 6:06 am
- Location: Columbus, OH
Re: Cell Phone Help
If you see it in the apps try holding down on it and dragging it to the home screen.mikechamp wrote:I downloaded an older version of the app, but now I can't find it on my phone. It said I downloaded and installed it. It's in the list of apps. The problem is I don't see the thumbnail anywhere to initiate the app.CardsofSTL wrote:I would check the permissions on the app manager; make sure it is enabled for cellular data and clear the cache.
You can try downloading a previous version here
https://espn.en.uptodown.com/android/old
Where/how do I view the thumbnail?
- mikechamp
- Hall Of Famer
- Posts: 11714
- Joined: April 17 06, 5:05 pm
- Location: Southwestern Illinois
Re: Cell Phone Help
After installing and uninstalling about 4 times, I finally found a version that plays highlights and the thumbnail appears, too!
Thanks, CardsofSTL!
Now, to turn off the default notification/alert setting on that app.
Thanks, CardsofSTL!
Now, to turn off the default notification/alert setting on that app.

