Very nice haiku.wart57 wrote:Fatbulldog loves gravyFat_Bulldog wrote:Yes. I would.lukethedrifter wrote:I bet you'd [expletive] then eat it if it was covered with gravy.Fat_Bulldog wrote:[expletive] poetry.
Bacon is right up there too
[expletive] it lets eat NOW!
Poetry
- sighyoung
- Mayor of GRB
- Posts: 38614
- Joined: April 17 06, 7:42 pm
- Location: Louisville
Re: Poetry
- wart57
- just can't quit you.
- Posts: 25075
- Joined: April 18 06, 4:33 pm
- Location: Lost
Re: Poetry
Fatbulldog is my muse....sighyoung wrote:Very nice haiku.wart57 wrote:Fatbulldog loves gravyFat_Bulldog wrote:Yes. I would.lukethedrifter wrote:I bet you'd [expletive] then eat it if it was covered with gravy.Fat_Bulldog wrote:[expletive] poetry.
Bacon is right up there too
[expletive] it lets eat NOW!
-
jim
- Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you
- Posts: 50393
- Joined: May 1 06, 2:41 pm
Re: Poetry
sigh - you mentioned different periods that you prefer more than others. Does it closely follow music and art in terms of the periods? Classical, Romantic, Impressionism, etc... I assume it would.
- sighyoung
- Mayor of GRB
- Posts: 38614
- Joined: April 17 06, 7:42 pm
- Location: Louisville
Re: Poetry
Kind of. Romanticism has a comparable literary movement, and British poetry is influenced by classical (particularly Latin) poetry in a number of periods, especially during the Renaissance and the 18th century. (That's why we count feet in English poetry--the Renaissance British poets wanted their poetry to be up to snuff with classical literature, so they tried to accommodate ). Impressionism, not so much. For British literature, for instance, besides Anglo-Saxon poetry (with its own rules--counting stresses and lots of alliteration, with its own cultural expectations), Middle-English poetry (Chaucer, "Sir Gawain and the Green Knight"), Renaissance (Shakespeare, Ben Jonson), the Metaphysical poets (John Donne), Milton, neo-classical poetry (John Dryden through the Augustan poets in the 18th century, such as Pope and Swift), transitional figures (Burns, Akenside, and others), the Romantics (Wordsworth, Keats, Shelley, Coleridge), Victorians (Tennyson, Browning, Rossetti, Swinburne, etc.), the Modernists (Eliot and Pound, though they're international), and so on. They all have their own social cultural concerns which are reflected in their themes and literary styles.jim wrote:sigh - you mentioned different periods that you prefer more than others. Does it closely follow music and art in terms of the periods? Classical, Romantic, Impressionism, etc... I assume it would.
- docellis
- America's Most Beloved Twitter Joke Thief
- Posts: 24741
- Joined: April 18 06, 6:54 pm
Re: Poetry
TURNING and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.
- cards2468
- Hall Of Famer
- Posts: 14745
- Joined: October 28 06, 11:10 pm
- Location: LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT
Re: Poetry
I hate poetry
It is for dumb emo hipsters
Refrigerator
It is for dumb emo hipsters
Refrigerator
- Smith Corks One
- All-Star
- Posts: 1426
- Joined: April 27 10, 11:08 pm
Re: Poetry
Yeats, another favorite. I used to get drunk and recite this one at parties; I'm sure I was widely considered a tool.docellis wrote:TURNING and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.
- Smith Corks One
- All-Star
- Posts: 1426
- Joined: April 27 10, 11:08 pm
Re: Poetry
If you're going for haiku, you need to contract "It is" to "It's". The second line can only have 7 syllables. Just sayin'.cards2468 wrote:I hate poetry
It is for dumb emo hipsters
Refrigerator
-
jim
- Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you
- Posts: 50393
- Joined: May 1 06, 2:41 pm
Re: Poetry
See right there - that first line just sounds so weird to me so I stop reading. I do not know what a gyre is for one thing. I skim - probably not a good strategy for poetry - and then I see "loosed" and remember about the time I made fun of a friend for spelling it like that online.docellis wrote:TURNING and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.
I think appreciating poetry is something you are just born with or not.
- The Third Man
- It rubs the lotion on its skin.
- Posts: 8935
- Joined: July 17 06, 1:00 pm
Re: Poetry
I had to write a poem in iambic pentameter in class today. Here is my work:
This class is hard when you don't do the work
If I had read the books I would not be
So stressed that I can't write a poem that's good
The fear that I'll do bad for all to see
Can I be smart when I am such a bum?
Next time when I do read my work won't suck
I laze and sigh but don't pick up a pen
Then go to sleep cause I don't give a [expletive].
This class is hard when you don't do the work
If I had read the books I would not be
So stressed that I can't write a poem that's good
The fear that I'll do bad for all to see
Can I be smart when I am such a bum?
Next time when I do read my work won't suck
I laze and sigh but don't pick up a pen
Then go to sleep cause I don't give a [expletive].




