MMA Thread II

A forum for non-baseball sports
Post Reply
Michael
GRB Founder
Posts: 35303
Joined: December 31 69, 6:00 pm
Location: Chicago, IL
Contact:

Re: MMA Thread II

Post by Michael »

thrill wrote:I don't think giving up favorable position would be a good idea with Lesnar.
I meant perhaps for his fighting style the positions I saw him break weren't as favorable as they appeared.

I'd love to watch lesnar fights, but I can't find them on any service like youtube.

User avatar
thrill
bronoun enthusiast
Posts: 30539
Joined: April 14 06, 10:45 pm
Location: barely online

Re: MMA Thread II

Post by thrill »

Michael wrote:
thrill wrote:I don't think giving up favorable position would be a good idea with Lesnar.
I meant perhaps for his fighting style the positions I saw him break weren't as favorable as they appeared.

I'd love to watch lesnar fights, but I can't find them on any service like youtube.
Lesnar-Couture

Michael
GRB Founder
Posts: 35303
Joined: December 31 69, 6:00 pm
Location: Chicago, IL
Contact:

Re: MMA Thread II

Post by Michael »

Thanks, I'll check it out once I get home.

User avatar
JohnnyJay
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 4914
Joined: April 18 06, 6:37 pm
Location: St. Louis

Re: MMA Thread II

Post by JohnnyJay »

thrill wrote:I still think Anderson Silva is the best pound-for-pound. He maybe needs to lsoe a fight to get the hunger back, but he is unbelievably athletic and clinical.

I agree with that. For me, it's really difficult to measure the "best" in MMA, but Anderson Silva ranks up there with Fedor in my opinion. His last true loss was by "Flying Scissor Heel Hook", which if you watch the replay, was just about the most amazing thing I've seen (and also extremely lucky and difficult...you never see that move at this level).

I may have mentioned before, but my buddy Roli was on TUF 8, and he had a little time to workout with Anderson, and said his training techniques and mindset are simply astonishing.

Guys like Anderson Silva, Royce Gracie, Fedor...are so methodical in what they do...it just looks so easy to them.

Edit: And a big edit for Nogueira, who is one of my favorites all time. A dude who went the distance not once but twice with Fedor...

User avatar
Tambourine Man
accepts no jimitators
Posts: 11413
Joined: April 21 06, 3:31 pm
Location: I Read the News Today Oh, boy

Re: MMA Thread II

Post by Tambourine Man »

Hmmm...!!!!???!!!??? The source seems legit. I'm still not celebrating yet.

Fedor Emelianenko, UFC finalizing deal

A long-awaited agreement between the Ultimate Fighting Championship and the man considered the world's best mixed martial arts fighter, Fedor Emelianenko, is expected to be announced by UFC President Dana White on Friday, a source with information about the negotiations told The Times today.

The source, who asked not to be identified because he's not authorized to speak publicly about the dealings, called negotiations between the UFC and Fedor "very civil" just days after Fedor's scheduled Affliction Trilogy fight Saturday against Josh Barnett was canceled.

Affliction wound up folding its MMA promotion activities and announced an apparel deal to sponsor UFC.

Now, Fedor, who has previously fought in organizations including PRIDE Fighting Championships in Japan, Bodog Fight and Affliction, is crossing over to the world's most successful MMA fighting organization, as well.

With a 30-1 record that includes victories over former UFC heavyweight champions Tim Sylvia, Andrei Arlovski and Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, Emelianenko would likely get an immediate shot at reigning UFC heavyweight champ Brock Lesnar.

The source, who is not affiliated with the UFC, said officials were discussing details on the public announcement of the deal, which in the past has been complicated by Emelianenko's resistance to accept UFC's standard six-fight contract and his unwillingness to surrender some merchandising and marketing revenues.
Link

User avatar
thrill
bronoun enthusiast
Posts: 30539
Joined: April 14 06, 10:45 pm
Location: barely online

Re: MMA Thread II

Post by thrill »

With Affliction no longer promoting, it's a foregone conclusion. Dana White doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who would promise something publicly and then not be able to pull it off.

User avatar
Tambourine Man
accepts no jimitators
Posts: 11413
Joined: April 21 06, 3:31 pm
Location: I Read the News Today Oh, boy

Re: MMA Thread II

Post by Tambourine Man »

And now M-1 is denying it. Anyway, Fedor's got a press conference tomorrow and the UFC has one on Friday. We'll see.
"I can give you a guarantee it's not accurate," said Apy Echteld of M-1 Global, a St. Petersburg, Russia-based promotion and management company of which Emelianenko is an equity stakeholder.

According to the Times' report -- which referenced an unnamed source unaffiliated with the UFC and "with information about the negotiations" -- UFC president Dana White was set to announce the signing of Emelianenko on Friday. The source also said negotiations between the top MMA promoter and the Russian champion's camp were "very civil," and that both groups were discussing details on the pending public announcement.
Link

User avatar
thrill
bronoun enthusiast
Posts: 30539
Joined: April 14 06, 10:45 pm
Location: barely online

Re: MMA Thread II

Post by thrill »

Fedor playing hard ball. He's going to get a historic contract. If he signs to fight Lesnar, he could get the first 8 figure pay day.

User avatar
Tambourine Man
accepts no jimitators
Posts: 11413
Joined: April 21 06, 3:31 pm
Location: I Read the News Today Oh, boy

Re: MMA Thread II

Post by Tambourine Man »

thrill wrote:Fedor playing hard ball. He's going to get a historic contract. If he signs to fight Lesnar, he could get the first 8 figure pay day.
He needs a fight. The "Brocktagon" is gonna take some getting used to. Everyone is saying that he'll step into the UFC for a championship match right off the bat...I'd like to see him dismantle Couture in the 1st round.

User avatar
thrill
bronoun enthusiast
Posts: 30539
Joined: April 14 06, 10:45 pm
Location: barely online

Re: MMA Thread II

Post by thrill »

Tambourine Man wrote:
thrill wrote:Fedor playing hard ball. He's going to get a historic contract. If he signs to fight Lesnar, he could get the first 8 figure pay day.
He needs a fight. The "Brocktagon" is gonna take some getting used to. Everyone is saying that he'll step into the UFC for a championship match right off the bat...I'd like to see him dismantle Couture in the 1st round.
I agree. Plus they'll need to build up some animosity and hype for the big showdown. I hate to validate Brock's antics, but the perfect scenario is they each have one more fight, they both win and Brock points to him and starts screaming at him from the Octagon after his win. Then you get the loud, scary American acting a fool and the quiet, scary Russian just blowing him off. It'd be like Hendo-Bisbing times 100.

Post Reply