Opie and Anthony suspended from XM!

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
Post Reply

Should Opie and Anthony have been suspended from XM..

Hell No!
11
41%
Yes!
16
59%
 
Total votes: 27

User avatar
stlmark
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 4089
Joined: January 20 07, 1:57 am
Location: redbirdsnation

Post by stlmark »

StatmanCrothers wrote:joking about a woman getting raped? Good for XM. Fire them. I hope Condoleeza sends some Secret Service goons to scare the bejeezus out of them. And cause a little non-lethal pain and suffering. I hear a pillowcase full of oranges can inflict a lot of pain without leaving a lot of evidence.

Freedom of speech? Sure. Freedom to say something so stupid that you get fired for it without getting bleeped. That's ultimate freedom of speech.

:twisted:
Just so you and everyone else knows. Opie and Anthony said NOTHING about raping Rice or Bush. There was no rape joke from the mouth of Opie and Anthony. It WAS the homeless guy Charlie! What he said is that 'he would like to force himself on Rice and Laura Bush.' Of course it probably wasn't a good thing to say, but it was said by someone other then O and A. So why then were O and A suspended?

User avatar
Transmogrified Tiger
Puppy Murderer
Posts: 9323
Joined: April 25 06, 6:07 pm
Location: Across the River

Post by Transmogrified Tiger »

Sounds like XM "freed" everyone who was listening to the show.

User avatar
docellis
America's Most Beloved Twitter Joke Thief
Posts: 24741
Joined: April 18 06, 6:54 pm

Post by docellis »

stlmark wrote: Just so you and everyone else knows. Opie and Anthony said NOTHING about raping Rice or Bush. There was no rape joke from the mouth of Opie and Anthony. It WAS the homeless guy Charlie! What he said is that 'he would like to force himself on Rice and Laura Bush.' Of course it probably wasn't a good thing to say, but it was said by someone other then O and A. So why then were O and A suspended?
But it is their name on the show. Not the "Homeless Guy Show". They are responsible.

And I understand you pay to hear vulgarity, but you can't think it is funny to hear adults joking about raping and beating women - or can you?

User avatar
stlmark
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 4089
Joined: January 20 07, 1:57 am
Location: redbirdsnation

Post by stlmark »

docellis wrote:
stlmark wrote: Just so you and everyone else knows. Opie and Anthony said NOTHING about raping Rice or Bush. There was no rape joke from the mouth of Opie and Anthony. It WAS the homeless guy Charlie! What he said is that 'he would like to force himself on Rice and Laura Bush.' Of course it probably wasn't a good thing to say, but it was said by someone other then O and A. So why then were O and A suspended?
But it is their name on the show. Not the "Homeless Guy Show". They are responsible.

And I understand you pay to hear vulgarity, but you can't think it is funny to hear adults joking about raping and beating women - or can you?
I don't condone doing those actions by any means, but the word rape really was never brought up at all. The homeless dude said that he would just have sex with Rice and Laura Bush. Opie and Anthony laughed and made a comment like I just can see the look on Condoleeza Rices' face.

I see it as no big deal because I see their show as an act and I know the show very well. They are shock jocks after all. It's not like it's rape radio. It's a joke and I listen fully understanding that. IMHO, I totally see this as an overreaction by XM and people who are easily offended.

I was brought up with much respect for women and NEVER would lay a hand on a woman for any reason, but I am a person who likes to joke around.

User avatar
Elphie15
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 4625
Joined: May 5 06, 11:07 pm
Location: St. Louis <3

Post by Elphie15 »

stlmark wrote:What he said is that 'he would like to force himself on Rice and Laura Bush.'
I think shock jocks are annoying, but I'm going with the assumption that those were the exact words that were used...

If I had heard that, the word "rape" probably wouldn't have even come to mind.

User avatar
StatmanCrothers
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 6461
Joined: April 17 06, 6:50 am
Location: Boston burbs
Contact:

Post by StatmanCrothers »

Elphie15 wrote:
stlmark wrote:What he said is that 'he would like to force himself on Rice and Laura Bush.'
I think shock jocks are annoying, but I'm going with the assumption that those were the exact words that were used...

If I had heard that, the word "rape" probably wouldn't have even come to mind.
:blinky:

User avatar
cardinalkarp
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 18727
Joined: May 4 06, 8:44 am

Post by cardinalkarp »

The two came under fire last week after they aired a segment that featured a homeless person saying he wanted to have sex with Condoleeza Rice, Laura Bush and Queen Elizabeth. The two even joked about Rice being raped and punched in the face
I was just going by what the article said.

User avatar
stlmark
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 4089
Joined: January 20 07, 1:57 am
Location: redbirdsnation

Post by stlmark »

cardinalkarp wrote:
The two came under fire last week after they aired a segment that featured a homeless person saying he wanted to have sex with Condoleeza Rice, Laura Bush and Queen Elizabeth. The two even joked about Rice being raped and punched in the face
I was just going by what the article said.
Yea, I understand that, but that's not what was said. I heard it and actually have the clip.

User avatar
docellis
America's Most Beloved Twitter Joke Thief
Posts: 24741
Joined: April 18 06, 6:54 pm

Post by docellis »

New York Post:
Opie and Anthony laughed as they imagined Rice's "horror" while describing a violent sexual encounter in which Rice is punched in the face.
"Are Opie and Anthony funny" isn't the question you are asking...but...

Arthur Dent
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 12536
Joined: April 25 06, 6:43 pm
Location: Austin

Post by Arthur Dent »

The clip is available on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5go-5bbpv8

What is being described is without question rape. O&A laugh as they imagine, "the horror in Condoleezza Rice's face."

Post Reply