Update: HOLLIDAY A CARD 7yr/120 million, p178

Classic threads for your viewing pleasure.
Locked
phins
Sobbing quietly during Fox programming
Posts: 12082
Joined: June 9 06, 3:51 pm

Re: Update: HOLLIDAY A CARD 7yr/120 million, p178

Post by phins »

I'm not a "jersey" guy, but if I were, I'd think about a Holliday jersey. I mean, he's signed for 7 freaking years, at least you'd get some use out of it.

User avatar
Eephus Speed
All-Star
Posts: 1642
Joined: August 28 09, 5:33 pm

Re: Update: HOLLIDAY A CARD 7yr/120 million, p178

Post by Eephus Speed »

stlouie_lipp wrote:Everyone has their opinion I guess, but I just don't know how anyone who wasn't privy to the negotiations can really "rate" how it turned out. If we knew everything, maybe we'd learn that Mo got fleeced; maybe we'd learn that Boras really screwed up. But, based on what we know, it truly looks like a win-win.
Your first sentence and your last sentence seem to contradict one another.

I know people think Boston would have jumped back in had we only offered 5/85, but Boston's 5/82.5 offer was rejected and then went to Lackey. Boston's payroll is going to be the highest it's ever been. The Yankees, I guess, could have been spouting a bunch of BS when they said repeatedly that there was no way they were going to sign Holliday.

Anyway, could we have gotten Holliday for less, maybe 6/100? I don't know. I don't think any of us know. But I'm not going to lose sleep over it, because I'm happy that Holliday's been signed at a very reasonable AAV.

Jocephus
99% conan clips
Posts: 64992
Joined: April 18 06, 5:14 pm

Re: Update: HOLLIDAY A CARD 7yr/120 million, p178

Post by Jocephus »

i imagine he'll attract a few more ladies to the games...and perhaps some men too

User avatar
BW23
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 12896
Joined: July 7 06, 11:08 pm

Re: Update: HOLLIDAY A CARD 7yr/120 million, p178

Post by BW23 »

cards2468 wrote:the Cardinals Marketing Director actually came to SLU to speak, I went and managed to ask him a few questions, but every chance he got he mentioned how huge it would be for marketing and ticket sales if the Cardinals would re-sign Matt Holliday. He said they were really hoping they'd sign him before xmas so that they could have the "Holliday Package" that's a ticket pack for 15 games. So yea, I'd say he'll help the team in terms of revenue.
Good to hear. I assume ticket sales will go up some. I can just see him selling a lot of jerseys and t-shirts, too. Even though Pujols is the main guy, you always saw plenty of Edmonds and Rolen ones around. Molina's pretty popular for that, too, but Holliday should certainly surpass him.

Granted, that merchandise stuff will likely be a one-year bust that will fall off after that.

User avatar
JL21
NPR & THT Contributor
Posts: 36109
Joined: April 18 06, 7:44 am
Location: Chocolate City

Re: Update: HOLLIDAY A CARD 7yr/120 million, p178

Post by JL21 »

Radbird wrote:Bernie's 5 minutes:

The Pros & Cons of the Holliday Signing
4. This should make it more difficult to make a substantial in-season trade: if the Cardinals are up against their self-imposed payroll cap ($100 mill) then we’re unlikely to see any earth-shaking trades. The kind of deals that brought Holliday and Mark DeRosa here last summer. Unless the Cardinals choose to stay under $100 million going into the season — say, between $93 million and $95 million — o then any in-season additions will probably consist of the Julio Lugo variety.
Holliday's contract isn't the impediment there; the Cardinals farm system, stripped in 2009, is the impediment. But by locking in Holliday, they've taken away some of the bite of losing their one major prospect (until they drafted Miller).

User avatar
cards2468
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 14745
Joined: October 28 06, 11:10 pm
Location: LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT

Re: Update: HOLLIDAY A CARD 7yr/120 million, p178

Post by cards2468 »

BW23 wrote:
cards2468 wrote:the Cardinals Marketing Director actually came to SLU to speak, I went and managed to ask him a few questions, but every chance he got he mentioned how huge it would be for marketing and ticket sales if the Cardinals would re-sign Matt Holliday. He said they were really hoping they'd sign him before xmas so that they could have the "Holliday Package" that's a ticket pack for 15 games. So yea, I'd say he'll help the team in terms of revenue.
Good to hear. I assume ticket sales will go up some. I can just see him selling a lot of jerseys and t-shirts, too. Even though Pujols is the main guy, you always saw plenty of Edmonds and Rolen ones around. Molina's pretty popular for that, too, but Holliday should certainly surpass him.

Granted, that merchandise stuff will likely be a one-year bust that will fall off after that.
I dunno, lots of people have the mentality of "Well, everybody had a Pujols jersey/shirt" when shopping and go for their next favorite player, hence the abundance of Edmonds and Rolen shirts and jerseys. I'm sure he'll sell well.

The big thing, IMO, is the difference in what ticket sales will be next year compared to if we didn't re-sign him.

User avatar
Swingingbunt
All-Star
Posts: 2904
Joined: April 4 08, 9:49 am
Location: Indianapolis

Re: Update: HOLLIDAY A CARD 7yr/120 million, p178

Post by Swingingbunt »

JL21 wrote:
Radbird wrote:Bernie's 5 minutes:

The Pros & Cons of the Holliday Signing
4. This should make it more difficult to make a substantial in-season trade: if the Cardinals are up against their self-imposed payroll cap ($100 mill) then we’re unlikely to see any earth-shaking trades. The kind of deals that brought Holliday and Mark DeRosa here last summer. Unless the Cardinals choose to stay under $100 million going into the season — say, between $93 million and $95 million — o then any in-season additions will probably consist of the Julio Lugo variety.
Holliday's contract isn't the impediment there; the Cardinals farm system, stripped in 2009, is the impediment. But by locking in Holliday, they've taken away some of the bite of losing their one major prospect (until they drafted Miller).
Shelby Miller, meet Kyle Lohse. Kyle Lohse, meet Shelby Miller. Shelby, this is why you can't suck. Money saved, problem solved.

User avatar
JL21
NPR & THT Contributor
Posts: 36109
Joined: April 18 06, 7:44 am
Location: Chocolate City

Re: Update: HOLLIDAY A CARD 7yr/120 million, p178

Post by JL21 »

cards2468 wrote:The big thing, IMO, is the difference in what ticket sales will be next year compared to if we didn't re-sign him.
I agree, specifically with regard to season ticket sales. The perception of ownership as being cheap probably dinged them pretty hard before 2008 and 2009 in season ticket sales. But fortunately, the club contended both years, which I'm sure helped their walk-up. And they had the All-Star game, which insulated them a little against public backlash via dropped season tickets. At some point, they were going to have to reverse the perception or pay the piper. The Holliday deal reverses the perception.

User avatar
JL21
NPR & THT Contributor
Posts: 36109
Joined: April 18 06, 7:44 am
Location: Chocolate City

Re: Update: HOLLIDAY A CARD 7yr/120 million, p178

Post by JL21 »

Swingingbunt wrote:Shelby Miller, meet Kyle Lohse. Kyle Lohse, meet Shelby Miller. Shelby, this is why you can't suck. Money saved, problem solved.
If Shelby Miller is a MLB pitcher before the end of Kyle Lohse's contract, we should all be doing cartwheels.

User avatar
BW23
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 12896
Joined: July 7 06, 11:08 pm

Re: Update: HOLLIDAY A CARD 7yr/120 million, p178

Post by BW23 »

JL21 wrote:
Swingingbunt wrote:Shelby Miller, meet Kyle Lohse. Kyle Lohse, meet Shelby Miller. Shelby, this is why you can't suck. Money saved, problem solved.
If Shelby Miller is a MLB pitcher before the end of Kyle Lohse's contract, we should all be doing cartwheels.
He won't be a MLB pitcher before I want Lohse's final start as a Cardinal, that's for sure.

Locked