Made it up because he was embarassed it was an online thing. The phone calls could ahve been and were apparently real if you believe the people claiming they knew of and carried out the hoax. If you can believe you are falling in love over the internet and over the phone, I'm fairly certain believing you are talking to that person's family is not any harder. Those 'family members' were still around even after the fake death.stlouie_lipp wrote:I will need an explanation to his saying they met after a football game, the meetings in Hawaii, his saying they would stay on the phone 8 hours at a time as they slept, him saying her family was supportive of him, etc. before I believe he was just naive and was simply duped this whole time.
Call me a cynic, because I am.
Manti Te'o got ate by a catfish or something
-
AWvsCBsteeeerike3
- "I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"
- Posts: 27563
- Joined: August 5 08, 11:24 am
- Location: Thinking of the Children
Re: Manti Te'o is a liar
- thrill
- bronoun enthusiast
- Posts: 30539
- Joined: April 14 06, 10:45 pm
- Location: barely online
Re: Manti Te'o is a liar
Even message and evidence his management team and ND are presenting are pointing to him only being complicit for like 20 days, the simplest, Occam's Razor explanation is still that he was in on it early. It's almost impossible to comprehend the level of naivety it would necessitate.
That said, the shamelessness with which he was aggressively pushing that dead loved ones narrative down everyone's throats last year was impossible for me to comprehend before all of this started. He's been an ass bag before this story broke in my world.
That said, the shamelessness with which he was aggressively pushing that dead loved ones narrative down everyone's throats last year was impossible for me to comprehend before all of this started. He's been an ass bag before this story broke in my world.
- stlouie_lipp
- Hallelujah Brother
- Posts: 13380
- Joined: April 17 06, 7:36 pm
Re: Manti Te'o is a liar
Explanation from him, not you AW.AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:Made it up because he was embarassed it was an online thing. The phone calls could ahve been and were apparently real if you believe the people claiming they knew of and carried out the hoax. If you can believe you are falling in love over the internet and over the phone, I'm fairly certain believing you are talking to that person's family is not any harder. Those 'family members' were still around even after the fake death.stlouie_lipp wrote:I will need an explanation to his saying they met after a football game, the meetings in Hawaii, his saying they would stay on the phone 8 hours at a time as they slept, him saying her family was supportive of him, etc. before I believe he was just naive and was simply duped this whole time.
Call me a cynic, because I am.
- ndistops
- All-Star
- Posts: 1289
- Joined: November 20 06, 9:00 pm
- Location: West Michigan
Re: Manti Te'o is a liar
Here is how Thrill would've preferred Te'o handle those questions:bob thrill wrote: That said, the shamelessness with which he was aggressively pushing that dead loved ones narrative down everyone's throats last year was impossible for me to comprehend before all of this started. He's been an ass bag before this story broke in my world.
MEDIA, IN EVERY SINGLE INTERVIEW THEY EVER DID WITH MANTI TE'O: Manti, what effect did these tragedies have on you?
MANTI TE'O: Guys, why don't you stop asking me about my dead loved ones? If I keep answering these questions with my actual emotions, some random guys on the Internet might decide I'm an assbag.
- thrill
- bronoun enthusiast
- Posts: 30539
- Joined: April 14 06, 10:45 pm
- Location: barely online
Re: Manti Te'o is a liar
That's pretty close.
Something like, "my family means a lot to me and the passing of my grandmother and girlfriend affected me a great deal. I'm grateful to my family, friends and teammates for helping me through a hard time but the story of our season isn't about me, it's not about my family, it's about the Notre Dame Fighting Irish football team and I'd rather talk about that. I appreciate your concern, but my private life is just that, private." would have been just fine.
Rather than , "i looked up and saw two rays of light and i knew it was my grandma and my girlfriend helping me" or similar maudlin, melodramatic nonsense that has nothing to do with reality or football.
Something like, "my family means a lot to me and the passing of my grandmother and girlfriend affected me a great deal. I'm grateful to my family, friends and teammates for helping me through a hard time but the story of our season isn't about me, it's not about my family, it's about the Notre Dame Fighting Irish football team and I'd rather talk about that. I appreciate your concern, but my private life is just that, private." would have been just fine.
Rather than , "i looked up and saw two rays of light and i knew it was my grandma and my girlfriend helping me" or similar maudlin, melodramatic nonsense that has nothing to do with reality or football.
- ndistops
- All-Star
- Posts: 1289
- Joined: November 20 06, 9:00 pm
- Location: West Michigan
Re: Manti Te'o is a liar
Well, the obvious joke would be that he's a Mormon attending a Catholic school, so reality isn't a big concern.
-
Socnorb11
- The Last Word
- Posts: 21906
- Joined: June 21 06, 8:45 am
Re: Manti Te'o is a liar
He pretty clearly has some "issues".
That being said, and disregarding the hoax......... I thought it was fairly admirable that he sometimes deflected those questions by talking about how supportive his coaches and teammates are. Sure, he got a little "far out" at times too, but I don't think it's that uncommon for a kid his age to deal with those issues by wanting to talk openly about them. He could say "my private life is private", but that's a pretty far cry from reality as well, when you're a Heisman candidate playing for Notre Dame.
That being said, and disregarding the hoax......... I thought it was fairly admirable that he sometimes deflected those questions by talking about how supportive his coaches and teammates are. Sure, he got a little "far out" at times too, but I don't think it's that uncommon for a kid his age to deal with those issues by wanting to talk openly about them. He could say "my private life is private", but that's a pretty far cry from reality as well, when you're a Heisman candidate playing for Notre Dame.
-
Jocephus
- 99% conan clips
- Posts: 64992
- Joined: April 18 06, 5:14 pm
- BW23
- Hall Of Famer
- Posts: 12896
- Joined: July 7 06, 11:08 pm
Re: Manti Te'o is a liar
Nev Schulman is behind this all.
-
Socnorb11
- The Last Word
- Posts: 21906
- Joined: June 21 06, 8:45 am
Re: Manti Te'o is a liar
Can someone explain this to me?


