Rieges wrote:As for the Rolen trade being a salary dump, I'm not sure what your thought process is there. The Cards are taking on at least $12.75M in '08 salary (more than Rolen's '08 salary) and possibly $24M overall. I realize that they're freeing up money for '10 and possibly '09 with the move but to me, that's just smart baseball unless you truly believe a 35-yr old Rolen will justify the $12M salary.
I'll wait until I see the final numbers. If they simply moved the players and the contracts, then I wouldn't expect Glaus to be back unless he performed poorly next year. They might as well have dumped Rolen's salary. If they get a good player in Glaus he's gone, and a bad player with a player option doesn't help.
IOW, I was hoping that we'd gamble on Rolen instead of trying to dump salary. Unless Glaus is guaranteed to stay in 2009, this is about as useful a move.
If I'm DeWitt, I might try and save the money if I think Rolen is shot. But if there's a chance he gets back to form, there aren't any 3B like him available and we are getting short on elite performers. Rolen justified his salary last year, BTW.