"The Wire" Appreciation Thread
- lukethedrifter
- darjeeling sipping elite
- Posts: 37260
- Joined: October 17 06, 11:19 am
- Location: Huis Clos
Re: "The Wire" Appreciation Thread
don't try multitasking while watching. it requires your full attention and is well worth it. if you have questions i bet we can answer them here.
-
Jocephus
- 99% conan clips
- Posts: 64992
- Joined: April 18 06, 5:14 pm
Re: "The Wire" Appreciation Thread
i would agree with not multitasking. my only "complaint", particularly in the 1st season, is that they throw out police jargon, acronyms, etc and don't care if the audience doesn't know what that is or who it is. obviously that makes the show better but i do remember for a few episodes where i was like "who/what are they talking about?!". you'll get it figured out as you keep watching though.
but soon you'll be able to rattle off great quotes and memorable scenes from the greatest tv show ever! i still need to purchase seasons 4 and 5. such a great show.
but soon you'll be able to rattle off great quotes and memorable scenes from the greatest tv show ever! i still need to purchase seasons 4 and 5. such a great show.
- Team
- Everyday Player
- Posts: 391
- Joined: December 14 06, 9:35 am
- Location: Columbia, MO
Re: "The Wire" Appreciation Thread
Thanks guys! I've been waiting for awhile to get it, hoping it would stream to a service I already had. Then it went on sale at Best Buy for $90 and didn't think I could get it at a better price. I almost started at lunch but then I realized I didn't know if I could stop at just 1, I tend to get addicted to things.
-
phins
- Sobbing quietly during Fox programming
- Posts: 12078
- Joined: June 9 06, 3:51 pm
Re: "The Wire" Appreciation Thread
I'm one of those that came into it after it had already been off the air. I had gotten into Breaking Bad and my friend would send me a blog about it each week. In the comments section people would always say, "Best show on tv." Or, "Best show on tv after The Wire."
I had never heard of it, so I ordered it on Netflix. The show was honestly an extremely big eye opener for an individual such as myself; a white male from an extremely homogeneous city in Missouri. The way they explored the extremely complicated urban lives of the streets of Baltimore was incredible.
The development of McNulty from a cop you rooted for and liked, to someone who made you feel conflicted. Bunk with his one-liners and his alcoholism and his whoring. The decisions by the children that were forced upon them and the dire situations some of them lived in.
For me, Season 4 was the best. Season 1 was next. Then Season 3. Then Season 5. Then season 2.
I watched the entire series in something like 5 days. Sports ceased to matter, my wife kind of came in and out as I was watching the show (she had a conference for most of the time), and I spent way too much time on the couch. I lived close enough at the time to come home on work and I'd catch an episode on lunch each day.
The show was definitely the best show ever for me, and I really need to watch it again. Maybe with my wife this time...
I had never heard of it, so I ordered it on Netflix. The show was honestly an extremely big eye opener for an individual such as myself; a white male from an extremely homogeneous city in Missouri. The way they explored the extremely complicated urban lives of the streets of Baltimore was incredible.
The development of McNulty from a cop you rooted for and liked, to someone who made you feel conflicted. Bunk with his one-liners and his alcoholism and his whoring. The decisions by the children that were forced upon them and the dire situations some of them lived in.
For me, Season 4 was the best. Season 1 was next. Then Season 3. Then Season 5. Then season 2.
I watched the entire series in something like 5 days. Sports ceased to matter, my wife kind of came in and out as I was watching the show (she had a conference for most of the time), and I spent way too much time on the couch. I lived close enough at the time to come home on work and I'd catch an episode on lunch each day.
The show was definitely the best show ever for me, and I really need to watch it again. Maybe with my wife this time...
- ghostrunner
- GOAT
- Posts: 30813
- Joined: April 18 06, 9:40 pm
Re: "The Wire" Appreciation Thread
Wow. Amazon's got the whole series for $99 right now, 50% off. There's actually still a separate listing there for $199. Threw it on my wishlist, but there's only a couple people who actually look at that. Dangit.
- Team
- Everyday Player
- Posts: 391
- Joined: December 14 06, 9:35 am
- Location: Columbia, MO
Re: "The Wire" Appreciation Thread
So I started it late last night and only got to watch the first episode. For me the first ep is always tough because you're trying to get a hang of all the characters, the plot, who's doing what. I just really wanted everything to sink in. I imagine I'll be watching more than 1 tonight.
I'm already intrigued after seeing the first episode for a lot of the reasons phins said. Seeing how this whole drug world works and how people get thrown into it, especially kids, because I was never exposed to anything remotely close to it. I knew it happened but this should be eye opening. I can also already see there will be some corruption. I'm pretty stoked. I just wish I didn't have my next week full with a business trip.
I'm already intrigued after seeing the first episode for a lot of the reasons phins said. Seeing how this whole drug world works and how people get thrown into it, especially kids, because I was never exposed to anything remotely close to it. I knew it happened but this should be eye opening. I can also already see there will be some corruption. I'm pretty stoked. I just wish I didn't have my next week full with a business trip.
- heyzeus
- Everday Unicorn
- Posts: 43272
- Joined: April 21 06, 10:14 am
- Location: Austin, TX
Re: "The Wire" Appreciation Thread
Will you have a work laptop with a DVD player in it? You need something to do in the hotel room at night!
One of the biggest challenges of the Wire, particularly Season One, is that the creators of the show don't dumb it down for us. They don't introduce us to the show's world bit by bit, or give obvious explanations on the terminology, or clearly introduce each member of the police hierarchy. They trust us to figure it out, and go straight into the plot. I love the respect they show the viewer, even if it means confusion and having to re-watch some stuff.
One of the biggest challenges of the Wire, particularly Season One, is that the creators of the show don't dumb it down for us. They don't introduce us to the show's world bit by bit, or give obvious explanations on the terminology, or clearly introduce each member of the police hierarchy. They trust us to figure it out, and go straight into the plot. I love the respect they show the viewer, even if it means confusion and having to re-watch some stuff.
- Team
- Everyday Player
- Posts: 391
- Joined: December 14 06, 9:35 am
- Location: Columbia, MO
Re: "The Wire" Appreciation Thread
Yeah I can watch it on my laptop, which I will definitely do on the plane and before going to bed. I'm heading to Nashville for the Winter Meetings so there will be a lot of stuff going on that I won't want to miss but I'll get my Wire time in as much as I can.
-
Jocephus
- 99% conan clips
- Posts: 64992
- Joined: April 18 06, 5:14 pm
Re: "The Wire" Appreciation Thread
sorta related but the actor who played cutty, chad coleman, will play comic book fan favorite tyreese in the walking dead
- docellis
- America's Most Beloved Twitter Joke Thief
- Posts: 24741
- Joined: April 18 06, 6:54 pm
Re: "The Wire" Appreciation Thread
Why can't I find it on Netflix?phins wrote:I had never heard of it, so I ordered it on Netflix.



