Women's World Cup

A forum for non-baseball sports
User avatar
sighyoung
Mayor of GRB
Posts: 38614
Joined: April 17 06, 7:42 pm
Location: Louisville

Re: Women's World Cup

Post by sighyoung »

thrill wrote:Frankly, I'm shocked at how few stories about how much sheer "Americanness" and "American Spirit" Japan showed in never giving up, fighting to the death and achieving their manifest destiny.

Seriously, kiss my ass ESPN, stop propagating nonsense stories like this whenever a US soccer team wins. I know as an American sports media outlet that can't resist the easiest story line ever, you love it when we are the perceived under dogs, but just shut up. Soccer style as metaphor for national identity is an old, worn out cliche and you can't call it manifest destiny when they win and ignore it when they lose.

Also, screw Julie Foudy, Hope Solo and whoever else wants to perpetuate that myth when it's convenient. Stop running your mouth and just win the game. Beating Brazil in dramatic fashion doesn't validate our national superiority complex. It just means you beat a good team in dramatic fashion. Enjoy it for what it is. Stop shoving your whack patriotism down our throats.
++

As knowledgeable as Foudy is about soccer, I tired of her grating partisanship very early on. She reminded me of Cathy Rigby shouting out "What a break for the Americans!" when a foreign gymnast fell during the Olympics many years ago.

TimeForGuinness
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 20007
Joined: April 18 06, 7:38 pm

Re: Women's World Cup

Post by TimeForGuinness »

sighyoung wrote:
thrill wrote:Frankly, I'm shocked at how few stories about how much sheer "Americanness" and "American Spirit" Japan showed in never giving up, fighting to the death and achieving their manifest destiny.

Seriously, kiss my ass ESPN, stop propagating nonsense stories like this whenever a US soccer team wins. I know as an American sports media outlet that can't resist the easiest story line ever, you love it when we are the perceived under dogs, but just shut up. Soccer style as metaphor for national identity is an old, worn out cliche and you can't call it manifest destiny when they win and ignore it when they lose.

Also, screw Julie Foudy, Hope Solo and whoever else wants to perpetuate that myth when it's convenient. Stop running your mouth and just win the game. Beating Brazil in dramatic fashion doesn't validate our national superiority complex. It just means you beat a good team in dramatic fashion. Enjoy it for what it is. Stop shoving your whack patriotism down our throats.
++

As knowledgeable as Foudy is about soccer, I tired of her grating partisanship very early on. She reminded me of Cathy Rigby shouting out "What a break for the Americans!" when a foreign gymnast fell during the Olympics many years ago.
Foudy is also very bad at figuring out how much time is left in the game.

User avatar
thrill
bronoun enthusiast
Posts: 30539
Joined: April 14 06, 10:45 pm
Location: barely online

Re: Women's World Cup

Post by thrill »

TimeForGuinness wrote: Foudy is also very bad at figuring out how much time is left in the game.
HAHAHA
"There's 6 minutes left!"
"I mean 16."
Actually it's 12.

TimeForGuinness
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 20007
Joined: April 18 06, 7:38 pm

Re: Women's World Cup

Post by TimeForGuinness »

thrill wrote:
TimeForGuinness wrote: Foudy is also very bad at figuring out how much time is left in the game.
HAHAHA
"There's 6 minutes left!"
"I mean 16."
Actually it's 12.
Seriously, all of the "former player turned announcer" for both the men and women are horrible: Foudy, Lalas, Wynalda...

User avatar
thrill
bronoun enthusiast
Posts: 30539
Joined: April 14 06, 10:45 pm
Location: barely online

Re: Women's World Cup

Post by thrill »

TimeForGuinness wrote:
thrill wrote:
TimeForGuinness wrote: Foudy is also very bad at figuring out how much time is left in the game.
HAHAHA
"There's 6 minutes left!"
"I mean 16."
Actually it's 12.
Seriously, all of the "former player turned announcer" for both the men and women are horrible: Foudy, Lalas, Wynalda...
Christopher Sullivan on FSC is great, I like Wynalda when he's just pouring gas all over people and lighting a match, Harkes blah but Taylor Twellmen is the truth. He needs a little more separation from being a player to being a jaded journalist but he's fantastic. And oh so handsome.

TimeForGuinness
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 20007
Joined: April 18 06, 7:38 pm

Re: Women's World Cup

Post by TimeForGuinness »

thrill wrote:
TimeForGuinness wrote:
thrill wrote:
TimeForGuinness wrote: Foudy is also very bad at figuring out how much time is left in the game.
HAHAHA
"There's 6 minutes left!"
"I mean 16."
Actually it's 12.
Seriously, all of the "former player turned announcer" for both the men and women are horrible: Foudy, Lalas, Wynalda...
Christopher Sullivan on FSC is great, I like Wynalda when he's just pouring gas all over people and lighting a match, Harkes blah but Taylor Twellmen is the truth. He needs a little more separation from being a player to being a jaded journalist but he's fantastic. And oh so handsome.
Ha...haven't seen a lot of Taylor, but I remember him being on Bernie's show a few years ago when the concussions were forcing him out of the game. He's going to be a good announcer, and with MLS on the rise, it will probably work out very well for him.

I do like when Wynalda is on a scorched earth campaign, but other than that...I just think he's a prick.

I can't place Sullivan right now, but I'll look for him when I'm watching next time.

User avatar
Hungary Jack
Mother Earth
Posts: 19536
Joined: July 24 06, 6:03 am
Location: In Cognito

Re: Women's World Cup

Post by Hungary Jack »

thrill wrote: Seriously, kiss my ass ESPN, stop propagating nonsense stories like this whenever a US soccer team wins. I know as an American sports media outlet that can't resist the easiest story line ever, you love it when we are the perceived under dogs, but just shut up. Soccer style as metaphor for national identity is an old, worn out cliche and you can't call it manifest destiny when they win and ignore it when they lose.

Also, screw Julie Foudy, Hope Solo and whoever else wants to perpetuate that myth when it's convenient. Stop running your mouth and just win the game. Beating Brazil in dramatic fashion doesn't validate our national superiority complex. It just means you beat a good team in dramatic fashion. Enjoy it for what it is. Stop shoving your whack patriotism down our throats.
ESPN isn't the only with one this problem. I wrote this about a Chicago sports journalist a few years back:
Dan and Terry,

Is it too early in the week to crap someone? Allow me one moment.

Rick Telander usually grasps like a blind man in a bee swarm for meaningful stuff to write in his column. But today he entered a new realm of hyperbolic fatuousness. His column makes Mad Magazine read like Doonsbury.

Telandar, who voted for Snickers-Superman Ken Caminitti for entry into the MLB Hall of Fame while voting against Andre Dawson, apparently latches on to the "transcendent hero" theme like G-Rod turns to jogging suits and poetry in times of need.

It's not Telandar's characterization of Obama's ability to inspire that makes me gag, it's the crass stereotyping of the pre-Millennial black athlete that makes me think he has been inhaling exhaust fumes underneath the Hubbard Street cave since Labor Day.

Rick Telandar, if there is ever a shortage of sports hyberbole in these challenging times, I assure you that your number will be the first number dialed.

Truly, Madly, Deeply Yours,

Gridiron Gonzo

User avatar
themiddle54
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 4524
Joined: August 24 10, 2:49 pm

Re: Women's World Cup

Post by themiddle54 »

Deciding a soccer match with penalty kicks is like if the Super Bowl ended in a tie and they had each QB throw the ball through a tire swing hanging from a tree branch to decide the game.

Japan almost melted down there..................too soon?

User avatar
stlouie_lipp
Hallelujah Brother
Posts: 13380
Joined: April 17 06, 7:36 pm

Re: Women's World Cup

Post by stlouie_lipp »

Why isn't this team getting the criticism from the media they deserve for choking? Win by losing? wtf?

User avatar
Tambourine Man
accepts no jimitators
Posts: 11413
Joined: April 21 06, 3:31 pm
Location: I Read the News Today Oh, boy

Re: Women's World Cup

Post by Tambourine Man »

themiddle54 wrote:Deciding a soccer match with penalty kicks is like if the Super Bowl ended in a tie and they had each QB throw the ball through a tire swing hanging from a tree branch to decide the game.

Japan almost melted down there..................too soon?
Tasteless jokes are always best served fresh. I approve.

Post Reply