Kansas or Missouri ?

A forum for non-baseball sports
Post Reply

Kansas or Missouri ?

Kansas
2
8%
Missouri
23
92%
 
Total votes: 25

User avatar
GatewaySnayke
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 11923
Joined: July 23 06, 11:54 pm
Location: GatewaySnaykebird

Re: Kansas or Missouri ?

Post by GatewaySnayke »

Jocephus wrote:
longhornbaseball wrote:I deliver pizza for Domino's. On Friday I worked from 5pm-2am and made $75 in tips. On Saturday I worked from 5-8 and made $65.
so...better mu athletics means better tips for longhorn?

there we go
That means that Mizzou is helping the economy. Is there anything Chase Daniel doesn't do?!

User avatar
MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy
Posts: 24841
Joined: July 9 06, 11:33 am
Location: Out of the Loop

Re: Kansas or Missouri ?

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Socnorb11 wrote:
MrCrowesGarden wrote:
lukethedrifter wrote:After last night's game, as dominant as the Tigers were through most of the game, I can see why there are doubts about Mizzou as the number 1 team in the country.
They have had an incredible season and I definitely don't want to diminish what they have accomplished. They should be proud of themselves.
Still I understand why some of the pundit sorts aren't fully on the bandwagon as far as being the top team in the country.

The beautiful thing is that they can win two more games and it won't matter who doubted them.



GO TIGERS!
Though I disagree with them, I don't especially have a problem with those who say West Virginia is a better team than Mizzou.

What I don't get are those that think Ohio State is better.

I'm not sure that I can make a case that Ohio State is "better", but I think they're certainly as good. Their only loss was to a top 15 team, just like Missouri.
I guess I see the losses as significantly different.

Mizzou lost to the Sooners in Norman while the Buckeyes lost to the Illini at home. To me, there's a big difference. Norman is such a hard place to play for any road team.

I'm not saying Ohio State isn't deserving of being the #3 team, but I really don't see them as one of the two best teams in the country.

User avatar
GatewaySnayke
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 11923
Joined: July 23 06, 11:54 pm
Location: GatewaySnaykebird

Re: Kansas or Missouri ?

Post by GatewaySnayke »

Hmm...I love comments like "Missouri won't be any problem. The Sooners can't be stopped."

I'm pretty sure Texas Tech stopped Oklahoma two weeks ago.

User avatar
Transmogrified Tiger
Puppy Murderer
Posts: 9323
Joined: April 25 06, 6:07 pm
Location: Across the River

Re: Kansas or Missouri ?

Post by Transmogrified Tiger »

Socnorb11 wrote:
MrCrowesGarden wrote:
lukethedrifter wrote:After last night's game, as dominant as the Tigers were through most of the game, I can see why there are doubts about Mizzou as the number 1 team in the country.
They have had an incredible season and I definitely don't want to diminish what they have accomplished. They should be proud of themselves.
Still I understand why some of the pundit sorts aren't fully on the bandwagon as far as being the top team in the country.

The beautiful thing is that they can win two more games and it won't matter who doubted them.



GO TIGERS!
Though I disagree with them, I don't especially have a problem with those who say West Virginia is a better team than Mizzou.

What I don't get are those that think Ohio State is better.
I'm not sure that I can make a case that Ohio State is "better", but I think they're certainly as good. Their only loss was to a top 15 team, just like Missouri.
Ohio State lost at home to a team Mizzou beat at a neutral site. That alone is enough. Even then, @ OU is a "better loss" than v. Illinois, and Mizzou has beaten 2 teams(KU, Illinois) better than anybody OSU has beaten.

Jocephus
99% conan clips
Posts: 64992
Joined: April 18 06, 5:14 pm

Re: Kansas or Missouri ?

Post by Jocephus »

GatewaySnayke wrote:
Jocephus wrote:
longhornbaseball wrote:I deliver pizza for Domino's. On Friday I worked from 5pm-2am and made $75 in tips. On Saturday I worked from 5-8 and made $65.
so...better mu athletics means better tips for longhorn?

there we go
That means that Mizzou is helping the economy. Is there anything Chase Daniel doesn't do?!
doesn't play on friday....

Socnorb11
The Last Word
Posts: 21906
Joined: June 21 06, 8:45 am

Re: Kansas or Missouri ?

Post by Socnorb11 »

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
Socnorb11 wrote:
MrCrowesGarden wrote:
lukethedrifter wrote:After last night's game, as dominant as the Tigers were through most of the game, I can see why there are doubts about Mizzou as the number 1 team in the country.
They have had an incredible season and I definitely don't want to diminish what they have accomplished. They should be proud of themselves.
Still I understand why some of the pundit sorts aren't fully on the bandwagon as far as being the top team in the country.

The beautiful thing is that they can win two more games and it won't matter who doubted them.



GO TIGERS!
Though I disagree with them, I don't especially have a problem with those who say West Virginia is a better team than Mizzou.

What I don't get are those that think Ohio State is better.
I'm not sure that I can make a case that Ohio State is "better", but I think they're certainly as good. Their only loss was to a top 15 team, just like Missouri.
Ohio State lost at home to a team Mizzou beat at a neutral site. That alone is enough. Even then, @ OU is a "better loss" than v. Illinois, and Mizzou has beaten 2 teams(KU, Illinois) better than anybody OSU has beaten.

Some folks aren't going to like this, but Illinois probably outplayed Missouri (yes, I realize that the score is the only thing that matters to the BCS, but if we're talking about the quality of teams, that's a different story). Illinois turned the ball over FIVE times against Missouri, and still had a chance to win the game until the final minutes (actually had more net yardage than Missouir).

Against Ohio State, Illinois didn't fumble once, and OSU threw three intereceptions. Most Illinois fans will tell you that the team that beat OSU was leaps and bounds better than the team that lost to Missouri in Week 1.

But, it doesn't matter. OSU, Missouri, and West Virginia will all have more opportunities to prove their worth.

User avatar
JL21
NPR & THT Contributor
Posts: 36109
Joined: April 18 06, 7:44 am
Location: Chocolate City

Re: Kansas or Missouri ?

Post by JL21 »

Illinois outplayed Mizzou? Mizzou was blowing them out and was in control for a huge majority of the game. Illinois had a 2nd half flurry to make it look closer than it really was. Actually, it was a LOT like the Mizzou-KU game last night.

That's not to take anything away from Illinois, either. It did end up being a game in the 4th quarter. You could tell that day that the Illini had started to turn the corner. But they did not outplay Mizzou.

User avatar
cardsfansince82
is shooing asian children away from his fridge.
Posts: 27776
Joined: May 17 06, 10:23 pm
Location: at the gettin' place

Re: Kansas or Missouri ?

Post by cardsfansince82 »

Socnorb11 wrote: Against Ohio State, Illinois didn't fumble once, and OSU threw three intereceptions. Most Illinois fans will tell you that the team that beat OSU was leaps and bounds better than the team that lost to Missouri in Week 1.
Missouri is also a much better team now than they were. I'd imagine if they played again right now Mizzou would win most of the time, although it would be close.

As for Mizzou and West Virginia, it doesn't matter who's 1 and who's 2, if they both win out they will be in the title game. The thing that bothers me is that if Mizzou loses to Oklahoma they probably won't even get a BCS game bid at all. In that scenario they would have two losses to a very good Oklahoma team but Kansas would be in better position to get that bid than they would.

Socnorb11
The Last Word
Posts: 21906
Joined: June 21 06, 8:45 am

Re: Kansas or Missouri ?

Post by Socnorb11 »

RC21 wrote:Illinois outplayed Mizzou? Mizzou was blowing them out and was in control for a huge majority of the game. Illinois had a 2nd half flurry to make it look closer than it really was. Actually, it was a LOT like the Mizzou-KU game last night.

That's not to take anything away from Illinois, either. It did end up being a game in the 4th quarter. You could tell that day that the Illini had started to turn the corner. But they did not outplay Mizzou.
Strictly from a yardage standpoint. Turnovers killed Illinois (but that's part of the game, so you can't take that away from Missouri).

User avatar
MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy
Posts: 24841
Joined: July 9 06, 11:33 am
Location: Out of the Loop

Re: Kansas or Missouri ?

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

cardsfansince82 wrote:
Socnorb11 wrote: Against Ohio State, Illinois didn't fumble once, and OSU threw three intereceptions. Most Illinois fans will tell you that the team that beat OSU was leaps and bounds better than the team that lost to Missouri in Week 1.
Missouri is also a much better team now than they were. I'd imagine if they played again right now Mizzou would win most of the time, although it would be close.

As for Mizzou and West Virginia, it doesn't matter who's 1 and who's 2, if they both win out they will be in the title game. The thing that bothers me is that if Mizzou loses to Oklahoma they probably won't even get a BCS game bid at all. In that scenario they would have two losses to a very good Oklahoma team but Kansas would be in better position to get that bid than they would.
I feel fairly confident that we're getting a BCS bid even if we lose to Oklahoma, provided it's not a blowout. It might be the Orange Bowl, which really is the weakest of the BCS games now, but that's still a BCS bid.

Post Reply