RIP Jimmy Buffet

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
User avatar
thrill
bronoun enthusiast
Posts: 30539
Joined: April 14 06, 10:45 pm
Location: barely online

Re: RIP Jimmy Buffet

Post by thrill »

ghostrunner wrote: ↑
September 7 23, 8:03 am
My parents listened to his greatest hits album many times on many road trips when I was in high school and college. Not bad songs at all, but unlike a lot of stuff my parents overplayed,it never felt like there was anything there worth going back to.
My parents were Jimmy Buffett (dad), The Eagles (both), and Fleetwood Mac (mom).

I love Fleetwood Mac. I hate The Eagles. I tolerate Buffett.

Fleetwood Mac is truly unique and excellent.
Buffett is John Prine for people who don't like thinking about sad things.
The Eagles are 70's Coldplay. Highly skilled, well produced, and completely boring (except Joe Walsh, who is good).

User avatar
BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 4759
Joined: June 4 17, 10:04 pm

Re: RIP Jimmy Buffet

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

I always thought there must be some winking involved with Jimmy Buffet and his whole thing. It never made sense to me that he could lead such a successful cult.

But then I consider Florida Georgia Line. I guess if Jimmy Buffet is John Prine for the simple, than modern country is Jimmy Buffet for the unconscious.

User avatar
Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me
Posts: 62330
Joined: April 18 06, 5:08 pm
Location: LF Bleachers @ Busch II

Re: RIP Jimmy Buffet

Post by Radbird »

BottenFieldofDreams wrote: ↑
September 7 23, 12:20 pm
I always thought there must be some winking involved with Jimmy Buffet and his whole thing. It never made sense to me that he could lead such a successful cult.

But then I consider Florida Georgia Line. I guess if Jimmy Buffet is John Prine for the simple, than modern country is Jimmy Buffet for the unconscious.
So you’re saying I made the right decision not to check out FGL?

User avatar
BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 4759
Joined: June 4 17, 10:04 pm

Re: RIP Jimmy Buffet

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

Radbird wrote: ↑
September 8 23, 11:44 am
BottenFieldofDreams wrote: ↑
September 7 23, 12:20 pm
I always thought there must be some winking involved with Jimmy Buffet and his whole thing. It never made sense to me that he could lead such a successful cult.

But then I consider Florida Georgia Line. I guess if Jimmy Buffet is John Prine for the simple, than modern country is Jimmy Buffet for the unconscious.
So you’re saying I made the right decision not to check out FGL?
Next time you realize you’ve accidentally ingested poison turn on their song ‘Swerve.’ If it’s a lot of poison, make sure you turn on the video.

User avatar
IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.
Posts: 12895
Joined: December 6 10, 1:09 am
Location: Illinois

Re: RIP Jimmy Buffet

Post by IMADreamer »

Radbird wrote: ↑
September 8 23, 11:44 am
BottenFieldofDreams wrote: ↑
September 7 23, 12:20 pm
I always thought there must be some winking involved with Jimmy Buffet and his whole thing. It never made sense to me that he could lead such a successful cult.

But then I consider Florida Georgia Line. I guess if Jimmy Buffet is John Prine for the simple, than modern country is Jimmy Buffet for the unconscious.
So you’re saying I made the right decision not to check out FGL?
Unpopular opinion. FGL's "Cruise" will be considered a country classic someday.

With that said, they are pretty terrible.

Post Reply