Worst songs by great bands

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
User avatar
heyzeus
Everday Unicorn
Posts: 43280
Joined: April 21 06, 10:14 am
Location: Austin, TX

Re: Worst songs by great bands

Post by heyzeus »

Since we're on the Beatles, I'd like to nominate "Wonderful Christmastime" by Sir Paul. The man wrote Let It Be! Good lord, dude. What the [expletive] happened?

Also, seriously considering banning @Superorganism for the Fake Plastic Trees nomination.

User avatar
go birds
-go birds
Posts: 32057
Joined: February 5 10, 9:54 am

Re: Worst songs by great bands

Post by go birds »

is Slow Motion by Third Eye Blind the worst song or best song by the band?

Superorganism
Veteran Player
Posts: 1021
Joined: October 21 20, 8:13 am

Re: Worst songs by great bands

Post by Superorganism »

go birds wrote: ↑
December 8 21, 9:05 am
is Slow Motion by Third Eye Blind the worst song or best song by the band?
That’s great.

User avatar
BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 4759
Joined: June 4 17, 10:04 pm

Re: Worst songs by great bands

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

haltz wrote: ↑
December 7 21, 6:53 pm
Wild Honey Pie is trainwreck
The Beatles goofiest lsd [expletive] really grinds on me. I'm down with all the most sanctimonious Beatles reverence until that comes on. The Chili Peppers do this too, usually in far grosser fashion.


The really corny instrumentation ([expletive] the 80s) of The Highwaymen kind of breaks one's heart. You got Johnny, Waylon, Willie and Kris, and the cheesiest Casio drums anyone could find. I guess super groups are fertile grounds here. Dancing in the Streets. Travelling Willburys. It's where legends go to disgrace themselves.

User avatar
BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 4759
Joined: June 4 17, 10:04 pm

Re: Worst songs by great bands

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

Even as a Weezer obsessed middle schooler, I skipped Holiday every single time. Somehow history (and again, I still love them for being my first rock band) has decided Weezer is a great band.

Is Blink 182 a great band? I think I'd have to argue yes somewhat begrudgingly--First Date is incredibly irritating. It's Tom's voice at its whiniest timbre.

Metallica has a whole album, speaking of terrible drum sounds.

Wham isn't a great band. But Last Christmas literally makes me ill and kind of violent.

User avatar
MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy
Posts: 24841
Joined: July 9 06, 11:33 am
Location: Out of the Loop

Re: Worst songs by great bands

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Sweet Home Alabama is more overplayed than bad, but it's a really weak entry in the Skynyrd catalog.

Jocephus
99% conan clips
Posts: 64992
Joined: April 18 06, 5:14 pm

Re: Worst songs by great bands

Post by Jocephus »

i like traveling wilburys. oysterhead and them crooked vulture are a couple more super groups i enjoy off the top of my head.

i wouldn't call blink 182 a great band but thats the subjectivity part. i liked a couple of their singles but meh.

User avatar
Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster
Posts: 31029
Joined: April 17 06, 11:25 am

Re: Worst songs by great bands

Post by Popeye_Card »

BottenFieldofDreams wrote: ↑
December 8 21, 10:16 am
The Chili Peppers do this too, usually in far grosser fashion.
This makes me think of the song Sir Psycho Sexy. Lyrically, a truly awful song - juvenile, misogynistic, pretty much terrible all around. But the outro jam session is fantastic. One of the best examples of Frusciante's mellow, soulful style perfectly blending with Flea's funk. A song that I want on my playlists for that part, but I want to completely skip over the first ~5 minutes of crap.

User avatar
Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster
Posts: 31029
Joined: April 17 06, 11:25 am

Re: Worst songs by great bands

Post by Popeye_Card »

BottenFieldofDreams wrote: ↑
December 8 21, 10:28 am
Metallica has a whole album, speaking of terrible drum sounds.
I presume this is about St. Anger, and I hate to admit that I kinda dig the drum sound of that album.

User avatar
BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 4759
Joined: June 4 17, 10:04 pm

Re: Worst songs by great bands

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

Popeye_Card wrote: ↑
December 8 21, 10:37 am
BottenFieldofDreams wrote: ↑
December 8 21, 10:16 am
The Chili Peppers do this too, usually in far grosser fashion.
This makes me think of the song Sir Psycho Sexy. Lyrically, a truly awful song - juvenile, misogynistic, pretty much terrible all around. But the outro jam session is fantastic. One of the best examples of Frusciante's mellow, soulful style perfectly blending with Flea's funk. A song that I want on my playlists for that part, but I want to completely skip over the first ~5 minutes of crap.
Sir Psycho Sexy was definitely the pathway to my comment there. I am very excited to hear the new music. There is nothing like Flea and Frusciante. Jon is older and wiser, and Flea went to music school since they played together last.

Post Reply