Got your shot?
- sighyoung
- Mayor of GRB
- Posts: 38619
- Joined: April 17 06, 7:42 pm
- Location: Louisville
Re: Got your shot?
I got my first Pfizer shot on March 18th. I had a sore shoulder for a couple of days, but the soreness began to wear off by the second evening.
My wife got her first vaccination a few days later, and felt fatigued for 3 or 4 days.
I've got my second shot scheduled for April 15th.
Meanwhile, my seventeen-year-old was able get her first Pfizer vaccination on Saturday, which is great. I just want to get this over with ASAP.
I'm most concerned about my son's access to a vaccine in Taiwan. COVID-19 is under control there, but I'd prefer for him to be vaccinated before he returns to the U.S. later this year.
My wife got her first vaccination a few days later, and felt fatigued for 3 or 4 days.
I've got my second shot scheduled for April 15th.
Meanwhile, my seventeen-year-old was able get her first Pfizer vaccination on Saturday, which is great. I just want to get this over with ASAP.
I'm most concerned about my son's access to a vaccine in Taiwan. COVID-19 is under control there, but I'd prefer for him to be vaccinated before he returns to the U.S. later this year.
- Smith Corks One
- All-Star
- Posts: 1426
- Joined: April 27 10, 11:08 pm
Re: Got your shot?
Got my first Moderna shot in mid-February. Felt nothing at all - maybe just a tiny bit of arm soreness. Nothing really noticeable at all.
Received the second shot a little over 4 weeks later (late afternoon). Was fine most of that evening, but just started to get some more widespread arm soreness which slowly started to spread across my upper body. Still wasn't too bad when I went to bed. Woke up at 4 something AM the next morning to teach online classes. Wasn't bad at first (just sore), but got progressively worst as the morning went on. I fought through it until about 10 then had to give up and lie on the couch. Could tell I had developed a fever, but had chills too - my wife said she could hear my teeth literally chattering from the other room. By the time I lay down with two fleece blankets over me, the chattering subsided. But I started getting sorer and sorer and completely fatigued to the point that it was a major challenge to get up and pee. Checked my temp throughout the day and the highest I remember it getting was 102.4. When I went to bed, I took 1000 mg of regular Tylenol and 1300 mg of extended release. I guess it did its thing, because when I woke up in the middle of the night and took my temp, it was 96.8, haha. When I woke up the next morning, I thought it was still going to be bad, but as soon as I had coffee and took a shower I was good to go.
Basically, it really sucked for a day, but after that I can definitively say that I don't want that [expletive] disease. My parents, two aunts, an uncle, and my 90 year old grandma got both shots on the same days I did. Grandma had no side effects, mom didn't either. Dad just had the soreness. Both aunts got hit as hard as I did - one especially so. Said she thought she was literally going to die. Took her a full week to totally recover.
Received the second shot a little over 4 weeks later (late afternoon). Was fine most of that evening, but just started to get some more widespread arm soreness which slowly started to spread across my upper body. Still wasn't too bad when I went to bed. Woke up at 4 something AM the next morning to teach online classes. Wasn't bad at first (just sore), but got progressively worst as the morning went on. I fought through it until about 10 then had to give up and lie on the couch. Could tell I had developed a fever, but had chills too - my wife said she could hear my teeth literally chattering from the other room. By the time I lay down with two fleece blankets over me, the chattering subsided. But I started getting sorer and sorer and completely fatigued to the point that it was a major challenge to get up and pee. Checked my temp throughout the day and the highest I remember it getting was 102.4. When I went to bed, I took 1000 mg of regular Tylenol and 1300 mg of extended release. I guess it did its thing, because when I woke up in the middle of the night and took my temp, it was 96.8, haha. When I woke up the next morning, I thought it was still going to be bad, but as soon as I had coffee and took a shower I was good to go.
Basically, it really sucked for a day, but after that I can definitively say that I don't want that [expletive] disease. My parents, two aunts, an uncle, and my 90 year old grandma got both shots on the same days I did. Grandma had no side effects, mom didn't either. Dad just had the soreness. Both aunts got hit as hard as I did - one especially so. Said she thought she was literally going to die. Took her a full week to totally recover.
- JoeMcKim
- Perennial All-Star
- Posts: 9248
- Joined: September 8 09, 10:56 pm
- Location: South County, St. Louis
Re: Got your shot?
I've been trying to get a vaccine but I'm still not eligible.
- haltz
- Hall Of Famer
- Posts: 22630
- Joined: November 9 06, 6:45 am
- Location: a proud midwestern metropolis
Re: Got your shot?
I felt short of breath and hot the night of my first dose, but I was running around a restaurant in a mask so who knows. Second dose in about a week and a half.
- JoeMcKim
- Perennial All-Star
- Posts: 9248
- Joined: September 8 09, 10:56 pm
- Location: South County, St. Louis
Re: Got your shot?
I finally was able to schedule a shot. I have to drive to freaking Mexico, Missouri but I said screw it and figured just better to get the shot even if getting it is a big inconvenience.
- Smith Corks One
- All-Star
- Posts: 1426
- Joined: April 27 10, 11:08 pm
Re: Got your shot?
Too bad you're in Misery; anyone in Illinois who is 16 or older can get it now.
- thrill
- bronoun enthusiast
- Posts: 30539
- Joined: April 14 06, 10:45 pm
- Location: barely online
Re: Got your shot?
I'm not eligible in my county to even join a waitlist until 4/5. There are a lot of old people in Florida, you guys. Took us a while to get through 65+ and first responders.
-
Michael
- GRB Founder
- Posts: 35303
- Joined: December 31 69, 6:00 pm
- Location: Chicago, IL
- Contact:
Re: Got your shot?
Unfortunately this isn't true of all of Illinois: https://www.wbez.org/stories/illinois-l ... b350ccedccSmith Corks One wrote: ↑March 30 21, 4:05 amToo bad you're in Misery; anyone in Illinois who is 16 or older can get it now.
In Chicago I qualified for the 1C group.
- CardsofSTL
- All Hail the GDT Master
- Posts: 69901
- Joined: April 26 11, 6:06 am
- Location: Columbus, OH
Re: Got your shot?
My sister is a nurse in Illinois (part time but still) and she only just now got scheduled for hers. Not sure what the hold up was...but I suppose the supply has not been as prevalent downstate.
-
Jocephus
- 99% conan clips
- Posts: 64992
- Joined: April 18 06, 5:14 pm
Re: Got your shot?
i got my 1st pfizer a week ago today. just had a sore arm for like, 36 hours.


