Where should I move?
- GeddyWrox
- Caught you a delicious bass
- Posts: 14665
- Joined: April 20 06, 8:43 pm
- Location: Please use blue font for the sarcasm impaired.
Re: Where should I move?
Salt Lake City?
- Smith Corks One
- All-Star
- Posts: 1426
- Joined: April 27 10, 11:08 pm
Re: Where should I move?
Thanks for all the awesome ideas! Despite travelling pretty extensively throughout the country, I haven't been to most of these cities (usually visiting national parks and the like, excluding all of my youthful excursions to Vegas). Here are my thoughts on them:
San Francisco - Absolutely the top of our list of where we would like to live. I've been several times, and my wife and I spent a few days there last year. She wanted to move there within an hour of being there. I think it's exactly what we want, but big issue here is housing cost. Just so [expletive] high. Of course, salaries are higher too, so I'm not ruling it out yet. Dream choice.
San Diego - Never been, imagine it's awesome, weather is perfect year-round from what I hear. Imagine the cost of living is also sky high, but will certainly look into it.
New Orleans - Never been, surprisingly, because I think I would absolutely love it. Need to take a trip there soon.
Atlanta - Never been, for some reason never been interested or thought much about it in any way, actually. Will look into it.
Charleston - Never been, have looked into it a little bit, think it could be a contender.
Austin - Never been, I think it would be right up our alley. Strong contender; how are housing prices?
Minneapolis - Hm. Never been, wouldn't mind visiting. But doesn't seem like it would be high on the list based on climate only.
NYC, Chicago, Philly, DC - Have considered these, wouldn't rule them completely out despite the cold. I've actually never been to NYC, but I imagine it does check a lot of the boxes.
Salt Lake City - Been there, very briefly; mainly just driving through. Thought it was beautiful, don't know much else about it.
London - no
Mexico City - That actually doesn't sound bad, and we've been thinking of an exit plan with the way things have been going in this country. Couldn't do it for a while, though, because I have 4 more years of student loan payments before they're forgiven for public service.
I've also been kind of looking at Boulder - seems like it has a lot of things going for it, but also gets 7 feet of snow per year. Still, I saw somewhere that it has more sunny days than Phoenix? Still [expletive] cold in the winter though, I guess.
Public transportation isn't a deal breaker or anything. Just drive so much around here and would love to not have to do that so much. Even living in the heart of a walkable city/neighborhood would be an improvement.
San Francisco - Absolutely the top of our list of where we would like to live. I've been several times, and my wife and I spent a few days there last year. She wanted to move there within an hour of being there. I think it's exactly what we want, but big issue here is housing cost. Just so [expletive] high. Of course, salaries are higher too, so I'm not ruling it out yet. Dream choice.
San Diego - Never been, imagine it's awesome, weather is perfect year-round from what I hear. Imagine the cost of living is also sky high, but will certainly look into it.
New Orleans - Never been, surprisingly, because I think I would absolutely love it. Need to take a trip there soon.
Atlanta - Never been, for some reason never been interested or thought much about it in any way, actually. Will look into it.
Charleston - Never been, have looked into it a little bit, think it could be a contender.
Austin - Never been, I think it would be right up our alley. Strong contender; how are housing prices?
Minneapolis - Hm. Never been, wouldn't mind visiting. But doesn't seem like it would be high on the list based on climate only.
NYC, Chicago, Philly, DC - Have considered these, wouldn't rule them completely out despite the cold. I've actually never been to NYC, but I imagine it does check a lot of the boxes.
Salt Lake City - Been there, very briefly; mainly just driving through. Thought it was beautiful, don't know much else about it.
London - no
Mexico City - That actually doesn't sound bad, and we've been thinking of an exit plan with the way things have been going in this country. Couldn't do it for a while, though, because I have 4 more years of student loan payments before they're forgiven for public service.
I've also been kind of looking at Boulder - seems like it has a lot of things going for it, but also gets 7 feet of snow per year. Still, I saw somewhere that it has more sunny days than Phoenix? Still [expletive] cold in the winter though, I guess.
Public transportation isn't a deal breaker or anything. Just drive so much around here and would love to not have to do that so much. Even living in the heart of a walkable city/neighborhood would be an improvement.
- Smith Corks One
- All-Star
- Posts: 1426
- Joined: April 27 10, 11:08 pm
Re: Where should I move?
Also, love the suggestion of visiting many cities and staying in Airbnbs. Earliest we could make the move would be, like, a year and a half, so plenty of time to pay some visits.
- CardsofSTL
- All Hail the GDT Master
- Posts: 69848
- Joined: April 26 11, 6:06 am
- Location: Columbus, OH
Re: Where should I move?
Utah.GeddyWrox wrote:Salt Lake City?
- CardsofSTL
- All Hail the GDT Master
- Posts: 69848
- Joined: April 26 11, 6:06 am
- Location: Columbus, OH
Re: Where should I move?
CaliforniaGeddyWrox wrote:San Diego?
-
cardsfantx
- Hall Of Famer
- Posts: 12190
- Joined: November 6 10, 10:58 am
Re: Where should I move?
think CardsofSTL and friends have room for you and the mrs in their studio apt at the ballpark
Online
- heyzeus
- Everday Unicorn
- Posts: 43279
- Joined: April 21 06, 10:14 am
- Location: Austin, TX
Re: Where should I move?
Not as cheap as they used to be, since the population has been growing rapidly and housing supply can't keep up. A single family 3/2 house in a really desirable central-city location is probably pushing $5-600k now. Condos/townhouses in those neighborhoods are hard to come by because of strong NIMBY opposition, but would be cheaper. In a more suburban part of the city (say, 5-10 miles from downtown) you'll find the single family homes in the 300s. Anything cheaper than that in the whole metro area and it's probably next to a landfill or flaming tire pile.Smith Corks One wrote: Austin - Never been, I think it would be right up our alley. Strong contender; how are housing prices?
- mikechamp
- Hall Of Famer
- Posts: 11714
- Joined: April 17 06, 5:05 pm
- Location: Southwestern Illinois
Re: Where should I move?
I just read this article (from a while ago) about San Francisco and thought you should see it, given it's #1 on your list.
#TheMoreYouKnow
https://www.sfchronicle.com/culture/art ... 481022.php
#TheMoreYouKnow
https://www.sfchronicle.com/culture/art ... 481022.php
- CardsofSTL
- All Hail the GDT Master
- Posts: 69848
- Joined: April 26 11, 6:06 am
- Location: Columbus, OH
Re: Where should I move?
That's just a party pad...but you can all come live with me in the great state of Ohio if you want. We have lots of booze and junk food.cardsfantx wrote:think CardsofSTL and friends have room for you and the mrs in their studio apt at the ballpark
- Smith Corks One
- All-Star
- Posts: 1426
- Joined: April 27 10, 11:08 pm
Re: Where should I move?
And oxy and fentanyl! (edit: referring to the state in general. Not at all sure if that's the case in your particular house.)CardsofSTL wrote:That's just a party pad...but you can all come live with me in the great state of Ohio if you want. We have lots of booze and junk food.cardsfantx wrote:think CardsofSTL and friends have room for you and the mrs in their studio apt at the ballpark



