Camping, backpacking, hiking, et al

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Post Reply
User avatar
lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite
Posts: 37260
Joined: October 17 06, 11:19 am
Location: Huis Clos

Re: Camping, backpacking, hiking, et al

Post by lukethedrifter »

I love steel cut oats but it takes 30 min of fuel to cook, no?

User avatar
thrill
bronoun enthusiast
Posts: 30539
Joined: April 14 06, 10:45 pm
Location: barely online

Re: Camping, backpacking, hiking, et al

Post by thrill »

Hungary Jack wrote:I make coffee using a foil-screen filter that sits atop my thermal mug. You can drip and steep with it. Weighs a few ounces.
I bought one of these at Target for like 7 bucks.

Image

User avatar
lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite
Posts: 37260
Joined: October 17 06, 11:19 am
Location: Huis Clos

Re: Camping, backpacking, hiking, et al

Post by lukethedrifter »

thrill wrote:
Hungary Jack wrote:I make coffee using a foil-screen filter that sits atop my thermal mug. You can drip and steep with it. Weighs a few ounces.
I bought one of these at Target for like 7 bucks.

Image
I had something like that but lost it a few years back when it was my firehouse coffeemaker. I was pretty sad that I didn't have a decent cup of coffee for the first time ever when backpacking. Even back in '88 before Starbucks, et al I brewed my own coffee on my Seattle-Alaska trip.


Those Shire tents look pretty pretty light and reasonably priced.

User avatar
cardinalkarp
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 18728
Joined: May 4 06, 8:44 am

Re: Camping, backpacking, hiking, et al

Post by cardinalkarp »

Spitting out gum is littering? Won't an animal eat it?

User avatar
Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster
Posts: 31038
Joined: April 17 06, 11:25 am

Re: Camping, backpacking, hiking, et al

Post by Popeye_Card »

thrill wrote:
lukethedrifter wrote: I think it was like chewing gum for her. Typically you don't tell someone to drink less on desert hikes.
Ah, this is a good point. I like gum when I'm hiking. I realize you have to spit it out and that is littering, but chewing gum helps keep me distracted which helps with my altitude headaches, keeps me off my camelbak and helps with hunger.
I do sunflower seeds. Though the salt is probably bad.

For coffee on the trail, I'm not picky--I just bring some instant coffee in a small ziploc.

maddash
is eerily well-versed on Project Runway and irony
Posts: 8508
Joined: June 26 06, 3:07 pm

Re: Camping, backpacking, hiking, et al

Post by maddash »

I remember in Boy Scouts going on the two week trek at Philmont Ranch in New Mexico. I probably weighed 120 at the time and carried a 60 lb pack. We'd hit up a commissary every 3rd day or so, so we didn't have to carry food for the whole trip. What a great time.

That's about all I have to add to this thread at this time.

User avatar
Hungary Jack
Mother Earth
Posts: 19536
Joined: July 24 06, 6:03 am
Location: In Cognito

Re: Camping, backpacking, hiking, et al

Post by Hungary Jack »

lukethedrifter wrote:I love steel cut oats but it takes 30 min of fuel to cook, no?
They make a quick version of it, though it loses some protein. Some people add protein powder, which is not a bad idea. It sucks to eat a big oatmeal breakfast and be hungry again in 2 hours.

User avatar
lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite
Posts: 37260
Joined: October 17 06, 11:19 am
Location: Huis Clos

Re: Camping, backpacking, hiking, et al

Post by lukethedrifter »

Hungary Jack wrote:
lukethedrifter wrote:I love steel cut oats but it takes 30 min of fuel to cook, no?
They make a quick version of it, though it loses some protein. Some people add protein powder, which is not a bad idea. It sucks to eat a big oatmeal breakfast and be hungry again in 2 hours.
Not if you like eating two breakfasts.

User avatar
JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear
Posts: 13356
Joined: April 18 06, 7:53 am
Location: South City

Re: Camping, backpacking, hiking, et al

Post by JCShutout »

lukethedrifter wrote:
Hungary Jack wrote:
lukethedrifter wrote:I love steel cut oats but it takes 30 min of fuel to cook, no?
They make a quick version of it, though it loses some protein. Some people add protein powder, which is not a bad idea. It sucks to eat a big oatmeal breakfast and be hungry again in 2 hours.
Not if you like eating two breakfasts.
Is that second breakfast or elevensies?

User avatar
lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite
Posts: 37260
Joined: October 17 06, 11:19 am
Location: Huis Clos

Re: Camping, backpacking, hiking, et al

Post by lukethedrifter »

JCShutout wrote:
lukethedrifter wrote:
Hungary Jack wrote:
lukethedrifter wrote:I love steel cut oats but it takes 30 min of fuel to cook, no?
They make a quick version of it, though it loses some protein. Some people add protein powder, which is not a bad idea. It sucks to eat a big oatmeal breakfast and be hungry again in 2 hours.
Not if you like eating two breakfasts.
Is that second breakfast or elevensies?


the former with elevensies to follow.

Post Reply