Jeopardy

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Post Reply
Jocephus
99% conan clips
Posts: 64992
Joined: April 18 06, 5:14 pm

Re: Jeopardy

Post by Jocephus »

Famous Mortimer wrote: ↑
August 12 21, 9:37 am
My friend Rob was on "Jeopardy", and he got himself on one of those hipster-mocking websites with his rather bright coloured clothes.

Apparently Mayim Bialik will be the prime-time host? If I'd ever deliberately sat down to watch an episode, I'd probably be annoyed LeVar didn't get the gig.
i didn't watch any of the tryouts but to me lavar makes a lot of sense of the tryouts/candidates i did hear about.

the cynical side says they hired mayim as a shield to protect them against criticism, i mean, how many times do they do "special" or "primetime" episodes of jeopardy? i really don't know. plus, personal opinion but mayim ain't that great

this exec producer...he sent out some email to the staff saying he didn't have any say in the decision but it's like...you couldn't say No? the people who "chose" you forced him into it? any person with half a brain can see this looks sketchy

User avatar
AdmiralKird
MBA, CPA, CFA, CFP, JD, PE, MD
Posts: 10174
Joined: March 7 07, 4:50 pm
Location: Tycho Crater, Luna

Re: Jeopardy

Post by AdmiralKird »

I only watched episodes with three of them. Aaron Rodgers was... not good, Levar Burton was way too timid, Richards was by far the best. If Mike Richards did influence his selection, I can't complain based on his job at hosting. I read the allegations against him and they sounded like he's a little prick though so idk.

User avatar
JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 9248
Joined: September 8 09, 10:56 pm
Location: South County, St. Louis

Re: Jeopardy

Post by JoeMcKim »

At the end of the day hosting Jeopardy is like the easiest job in Hollywood, its not like it takes that much skill to ask a bunch of questions. The host is only onscreen at the beginning and end of the rounds. Its really not that big of a deal who hosts this show. Hosting Wheel of Fortune or Price is Right the host is much more important.

User avatar
Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster
Posts: 31038
Joined: April 17 06, 11:25 am

Re: Jeopardy

Post by Popeye_Card »

I've missed most of the guest hosts, but I've seen Joe Buck so far this week. The first two episodes, I thought he was flat and pretty awful. Yesterday he started interjecting more of the humor he's known for, but it got to the point of being distracting.

I didn't like Ken Jennings. Most of the others I have seen have been pretty "meh", but I don't think they were really gunning for the job anyway.

I didn't see Richards, but he does have a pretty smug, punchable face.

User avatar
MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy
Posts: 24841
Joined: July 9 06, 11:33 am
Location: Out of the Loop

Re: Jeopardy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Based upon the reactions I've seen here and on my social media channels, there's no consensus on who was the best or who was even good at hosting. To be fair, there also hasn't been that for who was bad, except for Dr. Oz.

User avatar
BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 4759
Joined: June 4 17, 10:04 pm

Re: Jeopardy

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

JoeMcKim wrote: ↑
August 12 21, 3:03 pm
At the end of the day hosting Jeopardy is like the easiest job in Hollywood, its not like it takes that much skill to ask a bunch of questions. The host is only onscreen at the beginning and end of the rounds. Its really not that big of a deal who hosts this show. Hosting Wheel of Fortune or Price is Right the host is much more important.
Not a big deal, except that it's sort of sacred, to use hyperbole. So, a very big deal, IMO. Alex was the show and a member of the family, inasmuch as he was in the living room every night. I have great memories of watching with my grandmother.

I thought rotating guest hosts was fun. I don't know how many were or wanted to be candidates for the gig permanently. I didn't see Richards host, but I don't like the look of his appointment.


There are certainly shades of Conan here. I was so pissed about the Leno stuff, and then hardly ever watched Conan on TBS. Although a new Jeopardy routine might be fun with my family. I haven't watched TV TV in 100 years.

User avatar
Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me
Posts: 62294
Joined: April 18 06, 5:08 pm
Location: LF Bleachers @ Busch II

Re: Jeopardy

Post by Radbird »

I caught both Richards and Bialik and liked both but no one really stood out. It could’ve been worse (Dr Oz, Katie Couric, Savannah Guthrie come to mind).

I was rooting for Burton to do well but it was almost like he was trying too hard because he wanted it so bad.

User avatar
CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master
Posts: 69876
Joined: April 26 11, 6:06 am
Location: Columbus, OH

Re: Jeopardy

Post by CardsofSTL »

I don't like having more than one 'permanent' host. Should have made a selection and gone with it.

User avatar
CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master
Posts: 69876
Joined: April 26 11, 6:06 am
Location: Columbus, OH

Re: Jeopardy

Post by CardsofSTL »

Kind of pissed Will Ferrell never guest hosted

User avatar
thrill
bronoun enthusiast
Posts: 30539
Joined: April 14 06, 10:45 pm
Location: barely online

Re: Jeopardy

Post by thrill »

Throughout this process of losing Trebek and searching for a new host, I have been surprised at how many people really care about Jeopardy. To me it's always been around, but I've never known anyone other than my grandparents who loved it.

Post Reply