Amazon in 2021

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Post Reply
User avatar
BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 4759
Joined: June 4 17, 10:04 pm

Amazon in 2021

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

I'm shopping for headphones. I want good ones. The kind with the thing that wraps over and around your ear and are connected by a wire. I just let them rest around my neck when not in use. Convenient.

The first 3 pages of results are cheap Chinese crap with names like Jorboo and FLEXmonni and Dornse. Cheap Chinese crap is actually pretty passable these days. But I want a quality set. Amazon has become the dollar store. Camping gear is another one. They need a filter toggle for the cheap stuff.

It's pretty frustrating. On the other hand, it's producing WalMart results for me, where I get to be ethical by default. I don't shop at WalMart because nothing is where it belongs and I don't like watching parents threaten their children with violence. It's a miserable experience. But if anyone asks it's about wages and Main Street and small businesses.

Jocephus
99% conan clips
Posts: 64992
Joined: April 18 06, 5:14 pm

Re: Amazon in 2021

Post by Jocephus »

should be filters on the left

User avatar
BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 4759
Joined: June 4 17, 10:04 pm

Re: Amazon in 2021

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

But really I'm browsing, collecting ideas. So I have to click Bose, then let the page load, then click JBL and let the page load, then click beats and let the page load again. I guess I could go by price but because of third parties, prices are all over the goddam place.

If I go to a review site, I have to click on a 'see price on Amazon' button. It's just too burdensome everywhere when it should be easy. Unless you want a set of Jorboos.

Jocephus
99% conan clips
Posts: 64992
Joined: April 18 06, 5:14 pm

Re: Amazon in 2021

Post by Jocephus »

are you on dsl internet or your phone or something?

Jocephus
99% conan clips
Posts: 64992
Joined: April 18 06, 5:14 pm

Re: Amazon in 2021

Post by Jocephus »

can also google "best over the ear headphones" to find some lists, reviews, etc then you can narrow your amazon search.

googling that^ above even gave me a link to amazon's best over the ear headphones

https://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/e ... 2097479011

User avatar
BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 4759
Joined: June 4 17, 10:04 pm

Re: Amazon in 2021

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

I need to be more patient/smart. Thanks Jocephus. Costco has a couple I'm looking at. Double ethics points --Which I do really try to think about.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"
Posts: 27563
Joined: August 5 08, 11:24 am
Location: Thinking of the Children

Re: Amazon in 2021

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Regardless of how easy it is to find quality headphones on Amazon, I'd say the overall Amazon experience is no longer nearly as quality (ease, trustworthiness, quick shipping, customer service, etc) as it was 5-10 years ago.

Namely, prime shipping isn't necessarily two days anymore, customer reviews are bought by the seller (giving away product in exchange for a positive review) which in turn leads to worse/cheaper products with higher ratings near the tops of lists, and imo customer service used to bend over backwards to make everything right (likely due to internet shopping not being mainstream at the time) whereas nowadays they basically make it seem like they're doing the customer a favor allowing them to return an order (oh.....well, i see you've been a prime member for X years so this one time we can do it).

We cancelled prime a month or so ago for these reasons.

User avatar
BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 4759
Joined: June 4 17, 10:04 pm

Re: Amazon in 2021

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

Third party sellers have really made shopping there super messy and a bit confusing.

User avatar
G. Keenan
Sucking on the Rally Nipple
Posts: 23718
Joined: April 16 06, 6:03 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Amazon in 2021

Post by G. Keenan »

Cancel Amazon. I'm going on 2 months now without it and really have yet to be inconvenienced by leaving the Amazon ecosystem.

As I've posted before re Amazon, there is no such thing as free shipping. They just price it in to the cost of the product, and Amazon is not always the lowest price these days. Pretty much every company in America now has "free" shipping, so what's the difference? Why pay the shipping cost when you buy the item PLUS a subscription fee (Prime) to get something shipped "free" in 2-days that you don't need to receive within 2 days anyway? If there's something you really need in less than two days, just go to the old-fashioned store and get it. You know?

Kinda over Amazon is what I'm saying.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"
Posts: 27563
Joined: August 5 08, 11:24 am
Location: Thinking of the Children

Re: Amazon in 2021

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

The nicest thing about Amazon towards the end was the convenience of not having to shop around, not having to create an account, etc. It was, oh, I need wiffle balls, let's go to Amazon and buy them. Open Amazon app --> Scroll for 10 seconds --> 1-Click Buy --> Done. If that's the sole reason I'm using them time and time again, I've become too lazy.

Post Reply